Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Headlamps

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2011, 12:02 PM
07DDreamHD
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I installed the HD LED headlight and passing lamps on my 2009 SG. Made a tremendous difference in night a day use. Very costly, but I am happy with the change.

Old 08-12-2011, 01:43 PM
DukeofEarl
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I changed out the stock headlamp bulb for a PIAA Extreme White bulb - used stock headlamp housing but plan on going to Hella E-Code headlamp with same bulb in the near future.

Here's what it looks like at dusk - low beam for about a second and then switched to high beam:

http://youtu.be/LvMQ6HpiqsI

Old 08-12-2011, 03:56 PM
troop
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 49 Likes on 44 Posts

Aww hell, I just ordered a Hella 7" Code E HL79562 from www.quadratec.com for $49.98/shipped. I will use my PIAA Super Plasma GT bulb in this lense. Hoping for better night vision. Sucks getting old

Last edited by troop; 08-12-2011 at 03:59 PM.
Old 08-12-2011, 06:48 PM
Cheeze
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So of all these configurations which is best for "being seen" in the daytime?

Old 08-12-2011, 08:21 PM
troop
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Cheeze
So of all these configurations which is best for "being seen" in the daytime?
I dunno but it would seem to me if it puts out a better pattern at night that it'd be more visible during the day, especially on high beam?

Old 08-12-2011, 08:25 PM
Cheeze
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by troop
I dunno but it would seem to me if it puts out a better pattern at night that it'd be more visible during the day, especially on high beam?
That sounds reasonable but it's not the case at all with the HD LED. Amazing light at night but you can't even tell it's on in the daytime unless you stand directly in front of it.

Old 08-12-2011, 08:58 PM
troop
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Cheeze
That sounds reasonable but it's not the case at all with the HD LED. Amazing light at night but you can't even tell it's on in the daytime unless you stand directly in front of it.
True ....
but these are still using the same style bulbs that are used in stock housing. IF you were to believe Hella's advertising, they claim 4x brighter on low beam and 2x brighter on high beam. HOPE that can translate into better daytime visibility too.

Old 08-12-2011, 10:28 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by jpglide
Thanks iClick! I just ordered the E-Code headlamp and 100/80W bulb. Do you think my aftermarket amp and MP3 using the lighter socket to charge will push me to the point of needing a relay? Or is this a non-issue because they're on different fuses? I'm not very well versed in electrical issues...
I assume your amp is wired directly to the battery with an in-line fuse. As long as the amp isn't tied into the headlight circuit you should be fine. OTOH if you add auxiliary (passing) lamps and wire them to the low-beam circuit like stock, you may need to think about a relay depending on their output. I know that 80w + 70w (35w x 2) put the load close to the limit for the 15A breaker on my old RK, so I installed a relay on that bike.

I'm running the 80/100W H4 bulb and have both a 125W/ch. amp connected to the battery and am running the GPS (with MP3 player) at all times.

Old 08-24-2011, 12:53 PM
jpglide
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by iclick
I went the same route with the Hella E-codes and added a Hella 80/100W H4 bulb as well. The low-beams are superb at night but invisible to oncoming traffic in daylight, mostly because it aims the light precisely where it falls on the road, not into the eyes of oncoming drivers. The high beams are excellent for day or night riding and provide much greater "seeing distance" than the non-fluted stock headlights, which suddenly look inadequate once you upgrade to the E-code headlight. The higher-wattage bulb helps too, and I've had no trouble with connectors or wiring due to the increased heat generated. A friend with a BMW did have trouble and replaced the connector with a high-heat variety from Auto Zone.

For <$40 I think this is the best bang-for-the-buck lighting upgrade on the market, and I'm surprised more riders haven't tried it. If they did I don't think they would be moving to the very expensive alternatives sold on the aftermarket, or at least fewer of them would. I also use a modulator, which prolongs the life of the high-beam filament, and I've changed bulbs perhaps 2-3 times in the last 15 years of running the high-wattage bulbs.

E-code headlights

80/100W bulbs
THANKS iclick! Just installed the Hella e-code lamp, and 100/80 watt bulb. Visibility at night is MUCH better. I'm amazed at how much bang for the buck I got from this setup.

Did you need to adjust your headlight after the install? Mine seems to be aimed left, and maybe high (high-beams are up in the trees a bit)...

Old 08-24-2011, 01:40 PM
fabrik8r
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by jpglide
THANKS iclick! Just installed the Hella e-code lamp, and 100/80 watt bulb. Visibility at night is MUCH better. I'm amazed at how much bang for the buck I got from this setup.

Did you need to adjust your headlight after the install? Mine seems to be aimed left, and maybe high (high-beams are up in the trees a bit)...
Sweet aint it! Sucks I had to pull my bulb though, I didn't realize I had 55w bulbs in the AUX lights, all three together were running my batt down in slow traffic. I'll fix it this winter with a relay.

Quick Reply: Headlamps