Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Headlamps

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2011, 03:11 PM
highrevvtwin
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hid is sweet

Old 06-19-2011, 09:33 PM
asandler
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a Hella E code headlamp unit in my 2011 FLHX, with a Phillips Extreme +80, 50/65 watt bulb, which is supposed to give 80% more light. This combination is way brighter that the stock setup, and gives a longer, more focused beam. Great combination, not expensive, and bolts in with no modifications.

Old 06-20-2011, 01:11 AM
Twinrider
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by High Gear
http://www.ddmtuning.com/Product-Cat...-Kits-Lighting

My son has bought the car kits from this site , I see they also sell for bikes.

He just installed one for my truck and its a huge improvement , I may look into a bike kit.
Fwiw, when I was checking into hid kits I came across some poor reviews on ddm hid kits. You might want to do a search under DDM hid problems before you order...

This company has a very good rep.
www.1offmotosports.com

Old 06-20-2011, 01:50 AM
luisan
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 144 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Navy UC Rider
I have been reading about all the talk about LED, HID, etc... Does spending more money on a light really mean it is that much better? I have switched to a Bosch Xenon Blue that is stupid bright and really annoys people I ride behind and meat head on, cost was only $10.

Some lights say they produce a more natural light color, how does it work in the daytime? Does it "blend" with ambient light?

I was just curious, there seems to be some comparable alternatives out there for a fraction of the cost. Unfortunately, I have never seen the LED lights in person. I do agree that the OEM bulb is crap though. Lets see some comparisons between types…

On another note, I have not found a good Xenon replacement for the aux lamps. I did find a web site that has an HID set up for all 3 on the Ultra Classic, but I cannot bring myself to spend $200-$300 on them.

Thanks.
Hey Cale,I got the 3 LED lamps set up from HD and they're awesome.High visibility in daylight and at night..WOW.They don't blind oncoming traffic and I like the way they look too.I'm experiencing a condensation problem in the aux lamps but I'm returning them to Zanotti's for a replacement that's already been approved by the MOCO(with the new part #)Other than that I'm happy with the purchase and after all with Zanotti's discount they're very affordable.I've also changed the stock brake/driving light to the BAL one.I think that these changes take care of the visibility issues!

Old 06-20-2011, 03:43 AM
Navy UC Rider
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by luisan
Hey Cale,I got the 3 LED lamps set up from HD and they're awesome.High visibility in daylight and at night..WOW.They don't blind oncoming traffic and I like the way they look too.I'm experiencing a condensation problem in the aux lamps but I'm returning them to Zanotti's for a replacement that's already been approved by the MOCO(with the new part #)Other than that I'm happy with the purchase and after all with Zanotti's discount they're very affordable.I've also changed the stock brake/driving light to the BAL one.I think that these changes take care of the visibility issues!
Luisan,
Thanks for the input. I have changed the whole rear out with HD LED lamps. Love the plug-n-play. I did not go with the BAL while in Europe, b/c of the flashing lights and some of the rules they have, however, I will probably upgrade this winter.

My bike is currently on it's way back to Jacksonville, FL. I deprt Naples next week, hopefully have my bike (in one piece) the week after. I will have 30 days of leave to catch up on the great US riding I have missed the last 3 years.

Talk to you later.

Cale

Old 06-20-2011, 04:12 AM
emwolb
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

vryquick, i just got my headlights in last week for my triumph rocket III, and it takes the same size, 5 3/4" as the roadglide headlight housing is. my rocket uses the two headlights so i expect a huge improvement over just the one on my streetglide. overall, the best bang for the buck is the hella or cibie E-code headlight housing and a good osram/sylvania 55/60 watt bulb. i get such crisp light out of my streetglide and i can actually see where i'm going rather than all of the light being wasted by splashing all over the place. it's all in how the housing is made for focus. think of how a spotlight works as compared to a flood light and you'll understand why i've been using the e-code headlights ever since i discovered them. besides that $60 or so bucks vs $500, it's a no brainer. it's best to get the bakelite plugs for where the bulb plugs in. ceramic is also available, but i found that napa auto parts sells the bakelite part for cheap. bakelite is the same heat resistant plastic that distributor caps were made of. when you see the nylon part in the harley headlight housing for the three legged plug/connector, you'll know why you need to use something better than what harley's come with from the factory. they're a soft, very meltable nylon/plastic.

Old 06-20-2011, 04:27 AM
emwolb
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

by the way, the off road jeep guys have been using the hella e-code headlights for years. they are a great upgrade and something i'd do to my other vehicles if they had a round or rectangular headlight. i got mine at susquehanna motorsports in fleetwood pennsylvania, and you may find them cheaper if you shop around, but i'm happy with the price i get through them. with my bal set on the brightest setting and fastest flash for brake light, i feel like i'm no longer an invisible bike waiting to get ran over.

Old 06-20-2011, 06:27 AM
Sandcrab
Stellar HDF Member
Received 392 Likes on 232 Posts
Default You can change it

Originally Posted by Navy UC Rider
Luisan,
Thanks for the input. I have changed the whole rear out with HD LED lamps. Love the plug-n-play. I did not go with the BAL while in Europe, b/c of the flashing lights and some of the rules they have, however, I will probably upgrade this winter.

Cale
Cale,

You have so many options with the BAL lights, if you don't like the blinking, in 1 second you won't blink, if it's too bright, make it less bright, takes a second to change, if you want to ride in a parade, put it into parade mode.

So many options, so little time to change each. Hope you come over to the Bright *** Light.

Old 06-20-2011, 06:32 AM
Notgrownup
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,165 Likes on 3,675 Posts

There is a kit on jake wilson for about $80 ????

Old 06-20-2011, 08:38 AM
Twinrider
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I like the BAL because it looks stock and I keep it on the 2nd setting from dimmest, which bright without bothering fellow riders at night. The HD led light is bright as well and $60 cheaper, I just didn't care for the bar and shield logo across it.

Quick Reply: Headlamps