Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Headlamps

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2011, 09:18 AM
truckerdave
senior experienced all-knowing leader of the unwise
Received 347 Likes on 177 Posts

Harley sells a European E code lens for Road Glides. I have one running 100/90 osrams with ceramic plugs. HD electrical systems will handle 100/90 bulbs just fine without a relay,you just have to wire in ceramic plugs so the sockets won't melt from the heat. They are about $5 each on ebay. You just about have to have the E code lens to run 100/90. They focus the light better on low and high beam and won't blind oncoming traffic.

Old 01-08-2011, 06:29 PM
VRYQUIK
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by marvincbr
Just what I was thinking....I am following all these lighting threads and there are a lot of great links with some great ideas, just not for the roadglide

Old 01-08-2011, 06:44 PM
marvincbr
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by VRYQUIK

I've seen these photos before, these are HID, right? I tried the HID and wasn't happy. I was looking for LED and now thinking of these E code ones....

Old 01-08-2011, 06:54 PM
mlb3164
6th Gear

Clark did the install on both bikes. I added the aux lights on the street glide but as you know the FLHTCUSE has them from the factory. Clark has come up with a great wiring harness for the aux lights to accommodate the larger wire needed for the HID units. He drills small holes in the back of the housing and routes the wires under the edge of the fairing. He installed the ballasts with heavy duty velcro and cable straps under the radio assembly. Everything fits nice and neat in the cluster of wiring. Someone with basic skills could do the install themselves. Hope this helps.

Originally Posted by Navy UC Rider
Did you do the install yourself? Do you have the Aux Lamps also? If you did it yourself, was the install difficult? Where did you put the ballast?

Thanks

Old 01-08-2011, 06:55 PM
mlb3164
6th Gear

Marvin I am curious as to what you didn't like about the HID lights?

I've seen these photos before, these are HID, right? I tried the HID and wasn't happy. I was looking for LED and now thinking of these E code ones....

Old 01-09-2011, 12:50 AM
Navy UC Rider
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mlb3164
Clark did the install on both bikes. I added the aux lights on the street glide but as you know the FLHTCUSE has them from the factory. Clark has come up with a great wiring harness for the aux lights to accommodate the larger wire needed for the HID units. He drills small holes in the back of the housing and routes the wires under the edge of the fairing. He installed the ballasts with heavy duty velcro and cable straps under the radio assembly. Everything fits nice and neat in the cluster of wiring. Someone with basic skills could do the install themselves. Hope this helps.
I wonder if the HID light pattern would be enhanced if used with the E-code lens?

I am going to help a buddy install his next weekend, then I may go ahead and pull the trigger myself. His is on a RG, not to excited about pulling his fairing apart. We will see.

Old 01-09-2011, 08:07 AM
marvincbr
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by mlb3164
Marvin I am curious as to what you didn't like about the HID lights?
I didn't like the light pattern. If I aimed them so I could see down the road, they would end up being dangerous to oncoming traffic as well as shining right in the back window of any car in front of me. I have the dual bulb ones with both high and low beam, which was basically a collar around the bulb that would move back and forth, not change light intensity. While they I do believe they made my ride more noticeable to others because of the color of the light, I personally was not happy with the way they lit the road. I got them from a local guy(also on the forum) who had a business installing them in cars and wanted to start putting them into motorcycles. The kits he had were for cars and I wasn't real happy with the way they fit, I thing the bulbs were too long and that also made it difficult to aim them properly I think. It might be different with some of the kits that are out now, some of the pictures I have seen, the bulbs do seem shorter. I still think a reflector made for HID bulbs is needed when using these kits.

Old 01-09-2011, 01:32 PM
retgi
Cruiser

Just for anyone interested:The E-code is cheaper here and less for shipping...http://www.quadratec.com/products/97052_9001.htm

Old 01-10-2011, 04:07 AM
marvincbr
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by grbrown
Really? RG dual headlight units are simply smaller than the other Glides, but they are still standard headlamps surely? How about these?
I'm not sure about the newer models, but mine are ovalish. 5" x 6", I would have to modify the housing that hold them in.

Old 01-10-2011, 07:13 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,867 Likes on 2,429 Posts
Unhappy

I'm not sure about the newer models, but mine are ovalish. 5" x 6", I would have to modify the housing that hold them in.
That does present a problem! But I don't believe Harley has these things made for them, they are most likely stock automotive parts, like the 7" units on the single-light dressers are. It must be possible to find an alternative brand. Also seems quite likely there is an RG owner out there who has already done that! Is there an RG-specific forum you could try?

Quick Reply: Headlamps