Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Headlamps

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2011, 01:08 PM
schv
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by retgi
So your link is for a replacement housing that holds the H4 bulb? Any modification required? thanks...

It's an all glass replacement housing with MUCH better optics than the factory part, and yes it takes H4 bulbs. The focus of the light is very impressive! It bolts directly in with no modifications.

Old 01-07-2011, 02:31 PM
captsluggo
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The Hella housing is optically well designed, it's a nice upgrade for the money.
The modern method of lighting designations is fairly simple, it's based on color temperature. Nothing to do with the actual heat, rather the perceived color of a standard substance (black body radiator) if it were heated to a certain temperature. Kelvin is just Celsius starting from absolute zero.
Different color temps don't really change the light output (brightness, lumens, candlepower), even though it may appear that way, a light meter says otherwise.
Brand X 5000K will likely look different than brand Y 5000K.
Sunlight at high noon on the equator is generally regarded at about 6500K, where a 6500K HID bulb appears more blue than that. Put it next to a 20,000K bulb and it will appear very yellow.
As far as a Harley headlight, good optics and proper focus works wonders.
A Hella housing with about 80 watts of 5000K should burn the paint off a cages trunk.
Captsluggo

Old 01-08-2011, 12:33 AM
Navy UC Rider
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mlb3164
I have HID headlights from Clark Hemrick http://hemrickperformance.com/HIDHea...orHarleys.aspx in my 09 FLHTCUSE4 and my 10 FLHX with passing lights. Clark has done the research to find the best ballasts and HID units to work in Harley applications. He has wiring harnesses designed himself made to use the factory plugs so there is no need to cut wires or create a run to the battery. I am sold on the benefits of HID. If you ride at night and want to switch to HID lights I can highly recommend Clark. Just my 2 cents worth.
Did you do the install yourself? Do you have the Aux Lamps also? If you did it yourself, was the install difficult? Where did you put the ballast?

Thanks

Old 01-08-2011, 01:03 AM
Navy UC Rider
Road Captain

Originally Posted by schv
I have the Hella E-code lamp assembly with the Hella 80W/100W bulb, and it is amazingly bright. I was looking into the LED's and HID options when I decided to try the E-code stuff first since it was far cheaper. I don't have any plans to upgrade the headlight now, although I'll do something about the driving lights one of these days.

The E-code housings and a great selection of H4 bulbs is available from Susquehanna Motorsports. The lamp I have can be seen here: http://www.rallylights.com/detail.aspx?ID=350

I may give these a look. What have you found for driving lights. I am wanting to do it all at once and have it all matching if possible…

Old 01-08-2011, 01:07 AM
truckerdave
senior experienced all-knowing leader of the unwise
Received 347 Likes on 177 Posts

Whatever it is, just put an E-code Hella lens, ceramic plug, and a 100/90 watt Osram bulb in it. End of story, you can do the whole thing for less than $100 but i'll bet no one even knows what i'm talking about.

Old 01-08-2011, 01:26 AM
Navy UC Rider
Road Captain

Originally Posted by truckerdave
Whatever it is, just put an E-code Hella lens, ceramic plug, and a 100/90 watt Osram bulb in it. End of story, you can do the whole thing for less than $100 but i'll bet no one even knows what i'm talking about.
Wow, 100/90 watt!! Would a relay need to installed? How would that work with the starter circuit?

I have thought about finding a Phillips X-treme bulb, I am just holding out until I can find a replacement for the Aux Lamps. It is proving difficult to find a comparable bulb with the right connection.

Old 01-08-2011, 06:27 AM
tj316
Stellar HDF Member
Received 480 Likes on 126 Posts

this is not an option if you have a road glide, only bat wings fairings and road kings
Originally Posted by truckerdave

Old 01-08-2011, 07:50 AM
marvincbr
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by tj316
this is not an option if you have a road glide, only bat wings fairings and road kings
Just what I was thinking....I am following all these lighting threads and there are a lot of great links with some great ideas, just not for the roadglide

Old 01-08-2011, 08:07 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,867 Likes on 2,429 Posts
Question

Originally Posted by tj316
Really? RG dual headlight units are simply smaller than the other Glides, but they are still standard headlamps surely? How about these?

Old 01-08-2011, 08:34 AM
MODCOBRA
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

subscribe

Quick Reply: Headlamps