Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Headlamps

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2011, 07:47 AM
Wingert
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Headlamp Lighting

Fat Baggers Inc offers a headlamp and wire harness replacement for around $150. Has anyone tried it to see how it compares?

Old 01-05-2011, 09:03 AM
mlb3164
6th Gear

I have HID headlights from Clark Hemrick http://hemrickperformance.com/HIDHea...orHarleys.aspx in my 09 FLHTCUSE4 and my 10 FLHX with passing lights. Clark has done the research to find the best ballasts and HID units to work in Harley applications. He has wiring harnesses designed himself made to use the factory plugs so there is no need to cut wires or create a run to the battery. I am sold on the benefits of HID. If you ride at night and want to switch to HID lights I can highly recommend Clark. Just my 2 cents worth.

Originally Posted by Navy UC Rider
I have a buddy that just ordered a kit for his Road Glide from http://hemrickperformance.com/HIDHea...orHarleys.aspx They have a set-up for all 3 UC lamps for $212, but I want to see what my buddies kit looks like. Want to be sure the ballast is of good quality, etc... Unfortunately I have not seen LED in person. I would like to try to find a comparison of LED, HID, and a bulb like the Phillips X-treme Power (it is supposed to ridiculously bright.

Cale

Old 01-06-2011, 08:30 PM
VRYQUIK
Advanced

These pictures will give you an idea of the safety factor of HID lights during daylight riding.
The first picture is of two Ultras...one with HID and one with the Dual Bulb Halogen from a driver's point of sight. You can hardly see the halogen headlights. The next picture is a close up of those bikes.

Old 01-07-2011, 04:52 AM
emwolb
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

i know that my e-code hella is far brighter than the stock housing even when using the same bulb. they claim that it's supposed to be 400% more light, but i doubt that. if that were the case, if you came across an owl dining on a mouse in the middle of the road, it'd burst into flames at a hundred yards. i know that the newer cars and pickups, when i pass them and flick on the high beams, it really lights up the area much better than their cars do. and it does so with the light being focussed down the lane you occupy. it's about fifty bucks for the hella headlight and you can use any h-4 halogen bulb. i know for certain that it's a huge difference between it, and the chromed plastic reflector housing that harley uses. the hella and cibie are all glass and don't get that annoying smoke inside like the harley housing either.

Old 01-07-2011, 05:15 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,867 Likes on 2,429 Posts
Exclamation

Originally Posted by Navy UC Rider
So my question stands to reason, is spending more money mean a better light?
To get better lights you have three options. The expensive one is a completely new system, such as HID or LED from Harley or after-market. The somewhat cheaper option is to install HID bulbs in your current lights. Least expensive is to fit high performance bulbs to your current lights.

Modern lights and bulbs come in a confusing variety! Light colour is governed by the temperature of the bulb, the higher (6,000 degrees for example) the more penetrating the light output, also they cost more! IMHO if you mostly drive in daylight and don't want to spend loads, a set of decent bulbs will grab plenty of attention. If you want to see well at night, the high temp bulbs are worth the extra. If beam shape is poor, consider a replacement reflector for your headlamp.

So you have a wide variety of options, depending on your budget! I have an early Harley HID headlamp and do not recommend it. It is great for daytime riding, but utterly useless at night on a dark road, the beam shape is so poor.

Old 01-07-2011, 06:28 AM
schv
Cruiser

Originally Posted by emwolb
i discovered the E-code headlights. hella and cibie both make them. they're made for the european market and don't spash light all over the place, but put it right down your lane, with a little bit over to the right to watch out for deer and other critters. i think the headlight housing for my streetglide cost me around 40 bucks and it's far superior to the stock harley housing. the harley housing is plastic, go figure. the hella is glass and holds the same type of h-4 halogen bulb. you can google susquehanna motor sports, they're in pennsylvania and are quite helpful. be sure to get the type made for germany and france, because if you get the one for england, it'll be made to illuminate the wrong side of the road whereas the german and french housings are made to splash a bit off to the right, but most all of the light is straight down your lane. it's surprisingly better ilumination and i'm using the same bulb i took out of my harley headlight housing. osram/sylvania bulb, nothing special. $20 bucks or so for a pair at advance auto parts for the bulbs.

I have the Hella E-code lamp assembly with the Hella 80W/100W bulb, and it is amazingly bright. I was looking into the LED's and HID options when I decided to try the E-code stuff first since it was far cheaper. I don't have any plans to upgrade the headlight now, although I'll do something about the driving lights one of these days.

The E-code housings and a great selection of H4 bulbs is available from Susquehanna Motorsports. The lamp I have can be seen here: http://www.rallylights.com/detail.aspx?ID=350

Old 01-07-2011, 08:19 AM
retgi
Cruiser

Originally Posted by schv
I have the Hella E-code lamp assembly with the Hella 80W/100W bulb, and it is amazingly bright. I was looking into the LED's and HID options when I decided to try the E-code stuff first since it was far cheaper. I don't have any plans to upgrade the headlight now, although I'll do something about the driving lights one of these days.

The E-code housings and a great selection of H4 bulbs is available from Susquehanna Motorsports. The lamp I have can be seen here: http://www.rallylights.com/detail.aspx?ID=350
So your link is for a replacement housing that holds the H4 bulb? Any modification required? thanks...

Old 01-07-2011, 08:49 AM
gmurdock
Tourer

I went with HID from http://www.ddmtuning.com I think it was under $60 for a true High/Low HID. Took about 1 hour to install properly. Made a big difference. I have a 09 Street Glide with HD fog lights on the highway bar, that I am thinking about changing them to HID also?

Old 01-07-2011, 09:11 AM
Deuce Bigelow
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by grbrown

Modern lights and bulbs come in a confusing variety! Light colour is governed by the temperature of the bulb, the higher (6,000 degrees for example) the more penetrating the light output, also they cost more!
this is an incorrect statement.
the brightest HID lights are 4300k, The higher the temperature once you pass 5,000k, the less usable light, and the more "blue" they look (if you go high enough into the higher color temps, they will look purple) the more dangerous it becomes on the highway at night.
that's why all cars that come with HID's from the factory are 4300k, those really cool blue looking 6000k HID's are not as bright!
they also don't cost any more money for a 8000k HID bulb as opposed to a 4300k HID bulb.

ALSO, bulb swap HID kits like the ones mentioned in the posts above shine most of their light directly in front of your vehicle and NOT down the road where you need it the most, AND aside from blinding on-coming traffic and being illegal, they also fool your eyes into thinking you're seeing better because of all the light directly in front of your vehicle.... the only way to properly use HID bulbs is with a projector housing.

Last edited by Deuce Bigelow; 01-07-2011 at 09:17 AM.
Old 01-07-2011, 12:01 PM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,867 Likes on 2,429 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by Deuce Bigelow
this is an incorrect statement.
the brightest HID lights are 4300k...
Depends whose sales propoganda you read! My car came new with 6,000 HID lamps are they are excellent. I suppose 4,800 lights will do almost as well!

Quick Reply: Headlamps