Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tallboy Seat Thoughts?

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2011, 09:14 AM
buzzman_45011
Advanced
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The Tallboy is awesome for the rider and passenger. I did 13 hours on mine the past summer. Its not as pretty as some of the others but its super comfortable.

Old 01-04-2011, 09:45 AM
robvg
Tourer
Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

6'4"...'09 RK....Love my Tall Boy for the long hauls but wish it had better lines. (It looks 'purdier' with the wife on the back but it's almost embarrasing walking up to the bike in a parking lot)

Old 01-04-2011, 11:07 AM
laduckslayer
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the tall boy on my '10 UC, and I'm not a fan. I am also 6'3" and it did move me back, but I think it sits me higher. I do not like it for the long ride, and my spouse hates it when riding two up. She has logged many miles but after about 100 on the tall boy, she is moving around and then asks to stop.

I'm considering the Mustang tourer now.

Old 01-04-2011, 12:33 PM
TNCarters
Road Master
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Just put a Tallboy on a 2011 Ultra. I also believe it sits a bit lower than the stock UC seat as well as the 2" back. I'm 6'2" and also running the Extended Reach floorboards with Harley Goodies width extensions. Fairly comfortable seating position so far but not crazy about the looks of the seat. I may eventually try the Hammock seat but I think its about 1" forward and slightly higher than the Tallboy. I hear good things about the foam and cushioning of a Hammock but also that it needs back support. My Tallboy is not really broken in yet and I have not tried over about an hour at a time on it with no issues so can't speak to longer rides yet. Signature pic is original UC seat.

Old 01-04-2011, 01:38 PM
teedubya
Road Master
Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

I am 6' even with 36" inseam aqnd have put a tallboy on my Ultra. Can't say to awful much bad about the seat but I have been considering a hammock or a road zepplin. I have a hip that seems to burn after a couple of hrs in the saddle and have wondered if either one of those would lessen the burn.

Old 01-04-2011, 05:06 PM
JohnScrip
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by houstonhdguy
John--wasn't sure if you meant the stock Tallboy or after you had it modified.

Thanks
Oops -- I meant that I've modified my recent HD seats until I tried the Tall Boy, which I left stock.

Old 01-04-2011, 05:48 PM
blindsquirrel
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by WEBHNTN
Does this mean that your seat (after mods by MCC) will set you back a total of 4" over stock?
How much does this raise the seat height when all is said and done? I bought a 2011 RGU and haven't ridden it yet because of the weather here and would like to make comfort changes before riding season. I am also 6'6".

The Tallboy I have is supposed to be 1 1/4" further back than stock, so we're talking about 3 1/4" total with MCC mods. H-D says it's also supposed to raise you up by 1 1/4". I hear you want to be careful about going much higher than that, as it can make the bike feel top-heavy. Do you have any other changes to "fit" planned?

Old 01-04-2011, 07:07 PM
WEBHNTN
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My first on the list is the seat. After my *** is happy, I will change windshield, bars and floorboard spreader-outers. Raising the seat will give a great deal of leg room. My last bike was an 07 cop bike with the original air seat. It sets you higher, but is the most comfortable stock seat I've ever had. Never made the bike seem top-heavy. Having said that, I will confess to owning a BMW K1200LT which is as about as top-heavy a bike as you will find.
Fat sloppy ***** around town but an absolute angel on the open road. I had a Russell day long saddle built for the Bimmer and although ugly as heck, it simply out-classes everything I have tried over the last 45 years of riding. 1000 mile days are routine. I will keep the BMW for long rides, and plan to use the RGU as an in town bike and for short trips. If I can't find an acceptable seat for the RGU, I guess I'll have to spend the money on a Russell.

Old 06-12-2011, 07:54 AM
AZ_Glide
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tallboy seat - now, new handlebars? Floorboards?

I also installed the HD tallboy seat yesterday. It moved me down slightly and comfortably back as everyone is saying.

My hand position is still low - and although my legs are good my feet could use the floorboards further forward and out.

Have any of you changed handlebars? If so, did it require new cables or was there room to stretch?

Have you changed floorboards?

Let us know your experience - the tallboy seat recommendations were great.