Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

D & D Fat Cat, or Thunderheader 2-1

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2011, 09:21 AM
bald1der
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default D & D Fat Cat, or Thunderheader 2-1

I know I haven't even left yet, but I'm starting to work on my deployment wish list. Leaving in soon for another trip across the water; after paying off the CC's and saving a little, I figure I'll have about 2-3K to play with. Already figured on doing a 107 kit, but can't come to terms on the Exhaust. I know I want to go 2-1 for performance, but want a ghost pipe, cause I like the look of the bagger with 2 pipes. I think I've settled on 2 exhaust. Either a D&D Fatcat, or the Thunderheader. Looking for opinions from anyone with experience with these exhaust systems. Thanks in advance.

Old 01-03-2011, 09:35 AM
DR. V-TWIN
Former Sponsor
Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts

First off, thank you for your service! My experience with D&D has been excellent. There are also a lot of people run TH's and love them. It seems that every TH I see suffers from the same problems after a while though. The start to look crappy around the collector and blue, or turn a bit black if they are chrome. I always check out TH's closely when I seed them to check to see how they look as I have read a lot of stuff on their finishes. It could just be that I live close to the ocean as I have seen a very few that were perfect, but for that kind of money D&D with their perfect finishes gets my money every time. I took some pics of TH's one day but have since lost them of course. The other thing is TH's do not come with heat shields and they have to be purchased separately.

Drew

Old 01-03-2011, 09:44 AM
1931jamesw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Thunderheader sounds better but D&D is probably better quality. That said, if you keep your bike clean, you probably won't have any problems with the Thunderheader. My $.02.

Old 01-03-2011, 09:45 AM
DR. V-TWIN
Former Sponsor
Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by 1931jamesw
Thunderheader sounds better but D&D is probably better quality. That said, if you keep your bike clean, you probably won't have any problems with the Thunderheader. My $.02.
Thudnerheader is definitely louder.

Drew

Old 01-03-2011, 09:55 AM
roadgliderick
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

louder and sounds much better the TH that is.

Old 01-03-2011, 10:02 AM
jackinthebox
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would say you prob get alittle better performance out of d&d and great quality. I run one of each on my bikes. I would say the TH has held up quite well so far, it been on my 08 for 2 years now. The d&d sounds good, but nothing sounds like a TH.

Old 01-03-2011, 12:37 PM
Beemervet
Ultimate HDF Member

Received 435 Likes on 317 Posts

10+ years on Thunderheader, no quality issues.

Old 01-03-2011, 12:40 PM
Shrug
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I love the workmanship and sound of my FatCats. Installation was simple and straightforward and the price from the Dr was unbeatable.

Personally, I appreciate the asymmetry of a single tail pipe and the 2:1 is always a performance boost.

Old 01-03-2011, 01:41 PM
lkr0
Elite HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

totally agree --ThunderHeader skipped school on the quality control lesson--but there is no mistaken the sound -- you know from 100's of yards away
Originally Posted by 1931jamesw

Last edited by lkr0; 01-03-2011 at 01:43 PM.
Old 01-03-2011, 02:04 PM
rotti
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have had both. The TH is loud, painfully so (I must be getting old). I did have quality issues with chrome and blueing.
Put a FC on a new SG in 08 and it has been great. The chrome is beautiful and no blueing what so ever. The sound is subdued until you get on it and then it really barks. Perfect for a bike with a stereo and/or touring.
Don't understand the ghost pipe thing: extra weight, extra cash and fake. Form follows function in my mind.

Last edited by rotti; 01-03-2011 at 02:10 PM.

Quick Reply: D & D Fat Cat, or Thunderheader 2-1