Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

D & D Fat Cat, or Thunderheader 2-1

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2011, 02:32 PM
Beemervet
Ultimate HDF Member

Received 435 Likes on 317 Posts

Originally Posted by rotti
Don't understand the ghost pipe thing: extra weight, extra cash and fake. Form follows function in my mind.
Agreed.......
but what follows what might as well join religion, politics, oil, etc., etc.,.......

Old 01-03-2011, 02:49 PM
tj316
Stellar HDF Member
Received 480 Likes on 126 Posts

I ran D & D on my Classic I bought them from the Dr., my friend runs Thunderheader, I love his sound better but looks and quality D & D is better, performance the D & D where great but he also got good numbers out of his Thunderheader , between those 2 I'd go with the Fat Cat

Old 01-03-2011, 03:19 PM
jpalm
Road Captain
Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Another vote for the D&D, but I'm a little biased. I have the quiet baffle and I love the sound, although it is still just a tad loud. It's not the traditional Harley sound, but you'll have to convert to a carb and/or change your cams with any pipe to get that.

BTW, I haven't wrenched on anything (other than brakes and oil changes) in over 12 years and I had mine thrown on in about an hour, and that was with me being super cautious. I'm sure that you won't throw rocks at either one of them.

Stay safe out there. Thank you for your service.

Old 01-03-2011, 03:55 PM
catracho
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Since 2007.

And my Thunerheaders still running.

I installed the heat shields and no problems at the moment.

Love the sound of them.

Old 01-03-2011, 04:12 PM
JCleary
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

Nothing, I mean NOTHING sounds better than a Thunderheader in my opinion. Totally distinctive and badass. I have 10k miles on mine and it's in perfect shape (black). Most of my riding buddies all have Thunderheaders, and all of them look good.

Some of the Fat Cat baffles sound absolutely terrible. Raspy, tinny, ear-piercing loud. Not pleasant at all. But, as most say, their chrome is way better.

Now, when you're talking performance, both pipes have a torque dip. But the Fat Cat's dip is less pronounced. If you're talking strictly about performance, I'd say the Fat Cat is the way to go.

But I won't give up my Thunderheader... Unless it was for a set of true duals (none of which I like too much for the newer frame).

Old 01-03-2011, 04:19 PM
PaleRearEnd
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thunderheader FTW

Old 01-03-2011, 06:38 PM
sfetty
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree with most all of these comments. Its basically your preference.

Non traditonal sound from Fat Cat, better fit and finish, slightly better performance and slighlty more expensive.

Thunderheaders sound like no other! I love my TH's sound and performance. I bought the heat shields and clean the collector on a regular basis.

You wont go wrong with either one.

Old 01-03-2011, 08:11 PM
'05Train
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 883 Likes on 439 Posts

I run a Fatcat on the Limited and a Lowcat on the Night Train, quiet baffle in both. A competent tuner can eliminate the typical 2:1 torque dip, neither of my bikes has it. D&D has some of the best customer service I've dealt with, the pipes are beautiful, they make a ton of power, and I like the sound (wish there was a little less of it, but the quality is good).

I don't care for the Thunderheader look or sound, but that's just me.

Old 01-03-2011, 09:31 PM
Beach Bagger
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Go with the D&D Fat Cats! I have them on my 2010 FLHX and I love them. The chrome is top quality and the fit is perfect. I have the wrapped perforated baffle in mine and the sound is perfect for me. They aren't so loud that I can't listen to the radio at cruising speed, but when I'm going up through the gears they really sound loud and mean. I have a stock 96" in my bike and it sounds more aggresive than my father-in-law's built 103" with duals. The Thunderheaders are loud, but they're shape is funny to me and I've seen way too many of them that get discolored over time. Call Dr. V-Twin, they have great prices on the D&D stuff.