Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fork brace

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2011, 05:10 PM
Zimbob
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Red face Fork brace

OK. I've searched till I'm tired of searching. I know it would mean loosing the "cans" on top and maybe adding some fork gators, but, does anyone make a fork brace for a Road King, or any bagger for that matter? This is more of a curiosity to me and somewhat of an idea.
Thanks in advance.

Old 01-02-2011, 05:44 PM
Neggy ZRXOA 5248
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 816 Likes on 462 Posts

can't say I've ever seen one, IMHO the best improvement for the front suspension is dumping those crap SHOWA internals and going with progressive parts.

Old 01-02-2011, 06:04 PM
ThaGlyde
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i think i would do it. Now that would change the whole look. Make it a lot meaner.

Old 01-02-2011, 06:10 PM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 396 Likes on 338 Posts

me thinks our big dumb fender adds rigidity to the front end- if you wanted stiffer add a plate to the underside of the fender maybe.

I know that a fork brace is great on the 39mm front end, but the narrow glide fenders tend to be light weight comparatively.

mike

Old 01-02-2011, 07:27 PM
BadPiggy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

There's nothing made specifically for the RK, but there are fork braces for 41mm forks.

Mean Street Performance is one.
http://www.meanstreetproducts.com/08/forkbrace.html

Old 01-03-2011, 08:01 AM
Zimbob
Outstanding HDF Member

Thanks for the replies everyone, BadPiggy. I'll give them a look. Thanks. Looks like I might have to design and make one. I get to be the guinea pig again.

Old 01-03-2011, 09:35 AM
2004vmc
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i run one on my 2004 road king custom. i dont know if you can see it real well, and i dont have a good pic of it. but you can see my cans are gone, and the chrome thing at the top of my sliders. locks the front end in real nice. this is my bar hopper. wheelies. and stupid stuff like skid stops and the like......

you cant run the cans with the one i got. but i put this on in 2006. maybe there are newer models that you can do something different. they made a drastic improvement in front end rigidity. but, until you lock in the rear end with urethane bushings, or some kind of true trac, or the new progressive swing arm brace, your handling woes are are not over.

also, they didnt make one specifically for the touring front end. so, i got one for a 41 mm dyna, and had to mill the inside of the brace until it fit on the top of the slider. they also make adjustable ones. kuyakin makes one, i think. and, i got some rubber dust caps off of a dyna as well. with no slider covers, you will get crap in there.

hope this helped,
corb

Attached Thumbnails Fork brace-p1020113.jpg  
Old 01-03-2011, 08:43 PM
Zimbob
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by 2004vmc
i run one on my 2004 road king custom. i dont know if you can see it real well, and i dont have a good pic of it. but you can see my cans are gone, and the chrome thing at the top of my sliders. locks the front end in real nice. this is my bar hopper. wheelies. and stupid stuff like skid stops and the like......

you cant run the cans with the one i got. but i put this on in 2006. maybe there are newer models that you can do something different. they made a drastic improvement in front end rigidity. but, until you lock in the rear end with urethane bushings, or some kind of true trac, or the new progressive swing arm brace, your handling woes are are not over.

also, they didnt make one specifically for the touring front end. so, i got one for a 41 mm dyna, and had to mill the inside of the brace until it fit on the top of the slider. they also make adjustable ones. kuyakin makes one, i think. and, i got some rubber dust caps off of a dyna as well. with no slider covers, you will get crap in there.

hope this helped,
corb
Thanks, I thought one from a dyna would work, with some mods. Going to maybe do a true trak too, was wondering about locking the forks to work as "one". You've helped a bunch.

Old 01-04-2011, 01:56 AM
2004vmc
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Zimbob
Thanks, I thought one from a dyna would work, with some mods. Going to maybe do a true trak too, was wondering about locking the forks to work as "one". You've helped a bunch.
i have the true trac on there. not going to use it again. i used the urethane bushings from glide pro on my new build (the bike in my avatar pic) . FRIKKIN AWESOME!!! the true trac does work, but it is a bandaid fix for the underlying problem. the urethane bushings are the way to go for me. also, the true trac stuck down low under the frame of the bike, and i was always worried about speed bumps. forget ever going over a curb again too. not gonna clear it. you will feel more road vibration with the urethane bushings. not horribly, but, i can tell the difference. but, if you tighten up the true trac, you will feel alot more vibration as well. toss it around, see which is the route for you. keep in mind, that you will eventually have to swap out old worn rubber swingarm bushings anyhow....... that made up my mind on the new progressive piece, and the urethane bushings.....

i have heard some of my buddies rave over the new progressive stabilizer. but i have yet to try it.

i also found a "pinch bolt" triple tree for touring bikes. made by custom cycle engineering. they run about 850 bucks. but, if you dont wanna run without your sliders, and/or wanna look like an unmodified front end, they say that they will do the trick. i ll be putting them on my 2000 road king when i get home from afghan land in march. i tried to keep this one clean, but, the front end doesnt handle like my old 2004 did with the fork brace. so i am gonna try it. i ll let you know how it works, if you are interested. but it will have to wait until first week or so of april.

corb

Last edited by 2004vmc; 01-04-2011 at 02:07 AM.
Old 01-17-2011, 06:31 AM
2004vmc
Cruiser

i just found this, in a magazine. dont know if you have found anything yet, but thought it was note worthy.

go to drag specialties. do a search for TRACKER FORK BRACE. cant use it on our big bikes, but, it gave me some ideas. make something to follow the contours of the inside of the front fender........ keep the front end clean..... i ll give it a shot.

corb

Quick Reply: Fork brace