Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fork brace

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2013, 02:02 PM
lionsm13
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 72,259 Likes on 21,826 Posts

Originally Posted by MCVDOM
The monotubes are better than stock, but that isn't saying much. I do have them in and compared to the JRI shocks I have on the rear, the front end still needs work. I do almost nothing for looks. These bikes will never be crotch rockets, but I want mine to be as good as it can for me.
Stock is/are nothin' but springs, springs...mind you.

JRi's and Ohlins are nice but they don't make anything for the front end as of yet. They keep saying they are, but haven't seen anything yet, and with that in mind, who can really afford $700-800 for the rears and about the same for the front when it is that they do actually come out, whenever that is.

Besides that, this thread was about a fork brace.

Generally one wants to put a fork brace on because the front end is sloppy.
A fork brace corrects this and gives it more of a "sports car" feel, which is responsive-ness.

Monotubes address the "diving" that you get from your stock springs when you stop quicker than the "springs" can react.

Old 09-24-2013, 02:15 PM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,861 Likes on 2,426 Posts
Wink

Originally Posted by lionsm13
Besides that, this thread was about a fork brace.

Generally one wants to put a fork brace on because the front end is sloppy.
A fork brace corrects this and gives it more of a "sports car" feel, which is responsive-ness.
I've used fork braces on other bikes, however there are problems with touring Harleys. One is that there is no straight-forward way to install one, across the sliders. The slider covers could be cut around, or left off, to get around that, but IMHO the improvement would not be worthwhile.

However the worst design feature of the forks is the top tree and the way the tops of the fork tubes are supported. There is so much scope for fork twisting, due to the lack of decent support at the top tree, that fitting a fork brace would be a waste of time! A brace cannot overcome the lack of torsional stiffness at the top tree.

Which is why we got around to discussing the CCE top tree kit, as it addresses that problem. My own view is that once installed the improved control of the front wheel and steering will be good enough to put aside any need for a brace.

Last edited by grbrown; 09-24-2013 at 03:14 PM.
Old 09-24-2013, 02:56 PM
MCVDOM
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I spoke with Rick at CCE and asked about a fork brace since he has a bunch on his site and he said the same thing grbrown said. The are hard to fit and don't do much good. Perhaps the front fender is just strong enough to cover the lower end of the forks. If one was to be installed, something would have to be done about the cow bells as well as machining the lowers to accept the brace as the lower fork tubes are not perfectly round.