Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fork brace

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2013, 12:00 PM
MCVDOM
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has anyone installed their Tour Trac yet? I'm still on the cusp of doing this as I want to redo the front forks and these bad boys come with new fork tubes. I have a 2005 and I want to rid my bike of the cartridge in the left side fork.

It is funny how HD made all these changes to the front end over the years, going from conventional forks to the goofy cartridge on the left fork, back to conventional, then on to the real fix to the problem found on the 2014s.

I'm doing the Brembo brake conversion and am hoping to do the forks, brakes and triple tree all at the same time when the bike is in pieces.

Old 09-23-2013, 12:53 PM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,861 Likes on 2,426 Posts

I have my kit, just waiting for some other parts like bushings and seals, however it will be some while before I get to test ride my 'new' bike. The longer tubes are - well, longer chrome tubes! The new top tree is an impressive profile-milled billet alloy part, with chrome clamping screws. Mine is black and comes with chrome clamping screws.

Attached Thumbnails Fork brace-cce-forks-yoke-kit_e.jpg  
Old 09-23-2013, 01:18 PM
MCVDOM
Advanced

It is really looking like this is the best bang for the buck. I started looking at the American Suspension setup and it looks like a whole new front end is like $2600. That is for new top and bottom triple trees, new fork tubes and new guts for the forks. It looks really sweet, but WAY out of my budget. The CCE part is pushing it!

I can't wait to hear your results.

Old 09-23-2013, 04:01 PM
grbrown
Club Member

I don't see anything appealing in the AS forks, not least because I'm not convinced by air suspension of any sort, for serious touring. To add to the CCE budget, I have added Ricor Intiminators and single-rate Race Tech springs, in an attempt to get the best out of the original forks.

Old 09-23-2013, 04:08 PM
MCVDOM
Advanced

What I did like about the AS setup was the quality of the triple trees, but in looking further and calling the company, they really specialize in custom large front tire builds, not "sport bagger" builds. I am trying to do more of a sporty bagger and it seems that there are not a lot of parts out there for that. I keep coming back to the Tour Trac as being the best choice without buying a new bike. My wife yells at me for not being able to make a decision. That is not really true, it just need to know what the best choices are.

Old 09-23-2013, 04:15 PM
grbrown
Club Member
Thumbs up

I share your frustration! Howard at Motorcycle Metal can supply us with high spec upside down forks, but not only are they darned expensive in their own right, they need other expensive stuff to make them work. Now if you would like lightweight wheels as well, he is the man!

I've come to the same conclusion as you. I would like to keep my stock look and as many stock parts as practical and the CCE kit achieves that. Surprise your wife and just buy one! I could also do with the back up......

Old 09-24-2013, 06:05 AM
MCVDOM
Advanced

I would LOVE to go build a full bore sport bagger. Inverted forks, 107 or larger engine, baker 6 speed, real Brembos (not the stock HD Brembos), light weight wheels. I think that is as far as I could go without getting nuts. I have even thought about re-engineering the frame to make it lighter. As of right now, I think I will have to settle for reality and beef up the front suspension, get the transmission and retrofit the HD Brembos.

I would love that inverted fork setup Howard has, but I just don't have the time or money to go that crazy right now. Maybe one day...

Old 09-24-2013, 06:09 AM
lionsm13
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 72,308 Likes on 21,843 Posts

Put progressive mono tubes in.
That'll stable up the front end if that's your intension?

If just for looks, then your on your own in that dept.

Old 09-24-2013, 06:45 AM
MCVDOM
Advanced

The monotubes are better than stock, but that isn't saying much. I do have them in and compared to the JRI shocks I have on the rear, the front end still needs work. I do almost nothing for looks. These bikes will never be crotch rockets, but I want mine to be as good as it can for me.

Old 09-24-2013, 10:19 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Red face

Originally Posted by MCVDOM
The monotubes are better than stock, but that isn't saying much. I do have them in and compared to the JRI shocks I have on the rear, the front end still needs work. I do almost nothing for looks. These bikes will never be crotch rockets, but I want mine to be as good as it can for me.
I have customised Intiminators courtesy member fabrik8r, also trading as HDF sponsor Wades Part Werks, plus single-rate springs. I have still yet to ride on them, but they get good write-ups by other members. I will call it a day with them and my CCE kit, plus my Howard Ohlins at the rear.

Quick Reply: Fork brace