Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question about raising my bike with motorcycle jack.

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2011, 06:45 PM
CEJohnson21
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I use a red Craftsman. I'm always careful with ever jack I use, no matter what jack and what vehicle. The Craftsman lifts my Road King without any trouble, and it's stable once the straps are on. It works for everything I need to do to the bike.

Old 01-03-2011, 06:59 PM
BezerkoBob
Road Master
Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts

I use my "cheap" jack for quick cleanings and what not. For everything else, oil changes, tire changes, motor work, etc, I use a table lift. The bike gets strapped down no matter which lift is used. Common sense and attention to detail will go a long way in keeping your bike safe and your heart rate down.

Old 01-03-2011, 07:06 PM
Ridin'withTheKing
Cruiser

dboyenga,
Thanks for the compliment. I suppose it would be plenty stable enough without being bolted down, but I suffer from "Tim the Toolman Taylor" syndrome, and just had to take it that one extra step. In fact this rack is way overbuilt, as I used 1/4" thick square tube, when 1/8" would have been more than enough.
In truth, I felt it necessary to bolt it down, as I have three large Labs, and they tend to wrestle in the garage. Last thing I wanted was for them to knock this bike over. I could repair the bike, but couldn't stand to have one of my pups hurt.

Old 01-03-2011, 08:48 PM
Mr Cujo
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Ridin'withTheKing
dboyenga,
Thanks for the compliment. I suppose it would be plenty stable enough without being bolted down, but I suffer from "Tim the Toolman Taylor" syndrome, and just had to take it that one extra step. In fact this rack is way overbuilt, as I used 1/4" thick square tube, when 1/8" would have been more than enough.
In truth, I felt it necessary to bolt it down, as I have three large Labs, and they tend to wrestle in the garage. Last thing I wanted was for them to knock this bike over. I could repair the bike, but couldn't stand to have one of my pups hurt.
Just for grins, it would be cool to integrate a step down roller system (like they have on the rolling stairs at industrial plants and warehouses or on table saw rigs.)
Step on a lever, wheels lift the frame a bit and you roll it away. Step on the other side and it drops down, safe and secure on the floor.
THAT would be spiffy ..!!

Old 01-03-2011, 10:28 PM
srf52
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I always strap the jiffy stand in its down position with a bungie cord to the engine crash bar. That way it is always deployed when the bike is lowered back to the ground.

Old 01-04-2011, 07:46 AM
Ridin'withTheKing
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Mr Cujo
Just for grins, it would be cool to integrate a step down roller system (like they have on the rolling stairs at industrial plants and warehouses or on table saw rigs.)
Step on a lever, wheels lift the frame a bit and you roll it away. Step on the other side and it drops down, safe and secure on the floor.
THAT would be spiffy ..!!
Cool idea. I will have to think about incorporating that into the next one I build.

Old 01-09-2011, 10:25 AM
Expat1
Road Master
Location: Annemasse (border of Geneva-Switzerland) facing Mt-Blanc.
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Ridin'withTheKing
Here's a couple of pics of the rack I mentioned earlier.
Your rack a real anti-theft device
Towards the rear, do you support the frame at the limit of the round tube or beyond the weld of the forged structure ?

Old 01-09-2011, 10:34 AM
1st 96 ultra
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by srf52
I always strap the jiffy stand in its down position with a bungie cord to the engine crash bar. That way it is always deployed when the bike is lowered back to the ground.
thats a good idea , now I know almost everything

Old 01-09-2011, 12:26 PM
Feedsack
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pit Bull or J&S

Could some one answer this question? Is the pitbull or j&s jack stable when it is only 4 inches in the air and will you get on and the back and front of the motorcycle with it only 4 inches in the air?
Note:
At times I use the Habor freight lift with the sears red jack when I want to lift the bike up past my garage rafters to see if i scaped the floorboards.

Last edited by Feedsack; 01-09-2011 at 12:32 PM. Reason: addition
Old 01-09-2011, 01:40 PM
gregorysfd
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I always roll the jack under the side that doesn't have the kick stand. Leave the kick stand in the down position. I use the strap on the passengers seat to put the bike up to me and off the kick stand. The jack should roll under the frame, looking on both sides to make sure the rubber pads are showing on each side of the frame. Slowly jack the jack up until you feel it moving the bike up and making sure it is stable. If the handle bars are not in the lock position the front wheel should begin to center its self. You can now check to make sure the bike is on the jack right and begin to jack it up to the limit you want it. When your where you want the bike to be then put the down the lock so it will stay at that height. Always be careful when your working on the bike that the bike stays stable on the jack.

Quick Reply: Question about raising my bike with motorcycle jack.