Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question about raising my bike with motorcycle jack.

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2011, 05:18 PM
shore
Stellar HDF Member
Received 96 Likes on 70 Posts

You wanna talk ballsy?

I have one of those red lifts and had to knock the end rolls off it to get under my bike. I'm 2" down in the rear and have to push it under with the bike straight up.

fun fun.

Old 01-02-2011, 05:26 PM
pled55
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by C908
I have a 2010 Ultra Classic and haven't got around to lifting it yet with my Sears Craftsman motorcycle jack. Can someone tell me if there is anything special I need to know?On my last bike which was a Valkyrie it required a special adapter. As always I appreciate your comments.
just like the others have stated .be aware of what your doing .it is a lot of weight in the air .strap it to the jack. if your going to be be torqing anything or removing tires tends to unbalance things. good luck

Old 01-02-2011, 05:34 PM
Darrin
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How do you guys strap to the jack? any pics? I just bought a used one and haven't used it yet.

Old 01-02-2011, 05:48 PM
Eddy G
Road Master
Received 28 Likes on 14 Posts

I don't have any pics but can give you a step by step on how "I" use my red Craftsman motorcycle jack.

To make it a little easier I ride up on a 2 X 6 flat side down to give the bike a little lift and then set the jiffy stand.

I get off the bike line up the jack with the dog bone brace under the bike with the back leg of the jack. and then push the jack under as bet I can.

I then get on the bike and pull her up off the jiffy stand. I reach over and pull the jack under the frame rails. It just peaks out the jiffy stand side.

I can pump the jack up a little while sitting on the bike. I check the balance and stability before I get off and after I get off I check it again.

If its OK I jack the bike up to were I can lock it in with the cross bar and then drop it to the safety bar.

Then I take off the seat so I can run the safety straps corner to corner. The jack has loops to hook the straps to. I make an X across the mid section of the bike, taking the seat off makes it easier. You can then set the locking screw plates down.

Once you've done it a few times and get more comfortable with it all it's a piece of cake.

Hope that helps

Old 01-02-2011, 06:05 PM
brgtr3
Outstanding HDF Member

Don't futz around... get the J&S (or Pitbull)....

Old 01-02-2011, 06:14 PM
jimsuver
Supporter
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

This shows the straps and the jack.

Attached Thumbnails Question about raising my bike with motorcycle jack.-hd-pics-2010-008.jpg  
Old 01-02-2011, 06:38 PM
kenfm2000
Cruiser

Originally Posted by shore
You wanna talk ballsy?

I have one of those red lifts and had to knock the end rolls off it to get under my bike. I'm 2" down in the rear and have to push it under with the bike straight up.

fun fun.
I had a lowered street bob before, granted it may not have been a full 2". I would simply put a 2x4 piece of wood maybe 6"-10" long on the floor either in front of the front or rear wheel and push the bike forward untill the tire was resting on it. Then I could slide the jack under the bike with it still resting on the kick stand.

Old 01-02-2011, 06:54 PM
KingCripps
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

The red Craftsman jack is just fine. I've been using mine since 2004. I usually don't strap unless I am moving the bike or taking off the rear wheel. Pay attention to what you are doing. If you are removing the rear wheel, make it rear wheel heavy so that it will balance.

Old 01-02-2011, 07:32 PM
Ridin'withTheKing
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I built a stand to set the bike on using a simple motorcycle jack(similiar to the Sears unit). I jack the bike to the highest point and then roll it into the stand. The stand is bolted to the garage floor, and I make sure to strap the bike down at four points. Once on the stand I just lower the jack and wheel it out from under the bike. I. just about have the protoype finished. I'll post pictures (if anyone is interested in seeing them) once I get it painted. I wanted to be able to store the bike for the winter, and be able to work on it, with the wheels off the ground, and didn't feel good about using the jack for this purpose.

Old 01-02-2011, 08:48 PM
badknees
Road Master

I use the Sears Red one and have no issues with it.

Quick Reply: Question about raising my bike with motorcycle jack.