Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question for taller riders

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2011, 11:16 AM
nsp261
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default Question for taller riders

Recently purchased a 2004 FLHTCUI. I am 6'3" and it is not bad as is but, I plan on installing DragDesigns floorboard extenders which should move floorboards out 1" and forward 2". Does anyone have any thoughts on the TallBoy seats for the pre-2008 touring models. According to the catalog it only moves the rider back 1/2" but moves the rider and passenger up 2".
Any thoughts from taller riders?

Thanks

Old 01-01-2011, 11:21 AM
Topcop
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey friend, I am 6'3" also. I found the HarleyGoodies floorboard extenders did the trick for me. Moving those old long legs out let you set like you should instead of being all scrunched up with your knees hugging that old gas tank. Happy Trails....

Old 01-01-2011, 11:36 AM
Standard
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have never really liked the look of the Tallboy seat on the bikes. I recently bought a Sundowner seat and it really worked for me. I also pushed out my floorboards and I tilted my handlebars up a bit. I am currently looking to placing some PYOs on my FLHT to make things perfect, but that seat did wonders for me. I tried to cut my original seat down and back a bit too. There is a low profile seat, Badlander, but it looks pretty crappy for 2 up. I can ride all day with the Sundowner seat and it feels better as far as my position. Good Luck.

Old 01-01-2011, 11:47 AM
TO34
Road Warrior
Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

I have the tall boy seat on my Ultra & it moves you up & for a moment you really do feel "up". Does give a sitting "on" the bike , not "in" the bike feeling. I want till I get at least 500 miles of seat time on Tallboy before I really make a choice of what to do next as far as seats go..... but...because I love the looks of it.

I'm sure Ill end up getting a Sundowner soon.

Old 01-01-2011, 11:53 AM
Tek74
Tourer

I understand moving the boards out 1 inch for all riders, but am sorta seeing the 2 inch forward movement as a good thing for those who prefer not to use highway pegs at all, or at least not too much. The 2 inch forward movement would definately make sense for a longer legged rider that does a fair amount of city riding.

If you are running highway pegs, I would hold off on the $150 setup you are mentioning, and 1st try the inexpensive Harley Goodies floorboard extensions, as mentioned above. They offer a discount to forum members.

Old 01-01-2011, 12:40 PM
WIKD1
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not sure about the 2004 but on the 2009 the sundowners seat being recommended moves you forward an inch. Comfortable seat but made it a lot more cramped for my legs.

Old 01-01-2011, 12:50 PM
BuckeyeRider
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a tallboy for bout a month. Did not like the feel or looks at all. Got the f-board extentions and they made a big improvement.

Old 01-01-2011, 12:53 PM
Standard
Tourer

I can not speak for the 09s, but the Sundowner worked for my 07 and I dont think it was pitched for my bike as pushing you back at all either.
I just tried it and something about it just felt a hell of a lot better then the stock seat. Plus, it accepts a backrest, which for me is one of the best add ons....after pipes.
I postioned my highway pegs so I can keep my heel on the floorboards and my toes rests on the pegs. I can also rest my heels on the pegs as well. It gives taller riders a nice comfortable alternative. I got the idea from a post here a while back.

My 1" extensions came from our Forum sponser and were a great improvement.

Old 01-01-2011, 08:38 PM
blindsquirrel
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a Tallboy seat on my Road King, and while I don't really like the look of it, it has made a big difference in riding comfort. I actually just sent it off to MeanCityCycles to be modified a bit to get me a little further back on the bike. If you're 6'3, then I wouldn't suggest anything that will put you lower on the bike than you are, as you'll probably develop hip pain and be uncomfortable. I've installed the H-D extended floor boards and just ordered up the Harley Goodies extensions on my mine. I also have Walter's Workshop extended brake and shift levers to complete the package.

Old 01-01-2011, 08:52 PM
Rhubarb
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm 6'2 and have used cruise boards from Kury for 40k miles now. Effectively extends my floorboards by 12" and allows me a huge number of options for movement without having to be either cramped or stretched out.

Quick Reply: Question for taller riders