Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tire Pressure Question

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2011 | 09:02 AM
jpalm
|
Road Captain
Default Tire Pressure Question

Two fold question:

Since I have to drive to the nearest pump, what pressure should I shoot for when I fill up warm/hot tires? Also, should I run only the suggested pressure, or more? I'm on the original tires.

Old 01-01-2011 | 09:16 AM
MNPGRider
Seasoned HDF Member

I think there are two many variables to even come close to a helpful answer. How far are you driving? What's the temperature, etc. The only accurate way to test air pressure is with cold tires. If you're only going a few blocks, it won't make much difference.

Invest in a small aircompressor instead of guessing, and check at home. Dunlop has the recomended pressures listed on their web site. Some people run a few pounds higher, such as 40 in the front instead of 36.

Old 01-01-2011 | 09:23 AM
bksmoky
Road Warrior

Yah---what he said! MNPGRider said it best.

Old 01-01-2011 | 09:35 AM
MNPGRider
Seasoned HDF Member

The only thing I can think of here to help you out, is to check the pressure at home when the tire is cold, and then check it again at the station. If it's four lbs low at home, as an example, add four lbs at the station, regardless of what the pressure guage now says. Check it again the next day at home when tires are cold, and see how close you got.

Old 01-01-2011 | 09:41 AM
Troubleman
Tourer

Get yourself and inexpensive air compressor, it's a good investment. You'll use it more often than you might think.

Old 01-01-2011 | 10:03 AM
SlowRain
Road Master

Originally Posted by Troubleman
Get yourself and inexpensive air compressor, it's a good investment. You'll use it more often than you might think.
+1. Even if it is just one of those that plugs into the cig lighter of your car (or bike). I know Black and Decker makes one that plugs into the wall or a 12 volt system. I saw one in Lowe's the other day for like 30 bucks.

If money isn't an issue buy a compressor and tank...works good for drying a bike after wash if you have a large enough tank.

I put one in the garage mainly because I refuse to go to a gas station and pay to put air in my tires....and most of them seem to charge these days.

Old 01-01-2011 | 10:05 AM
CHOPPIN' CHARLIE
Road Master
Cool Tire pressure

PRESSURE CAN ONLY BE CHECKED ACURATLY(sp)? WHEN TIRES ARE COLD. EARLY IN MORNING BEFORE SUN GETS ON THEM OR TEMP RISES. YOU CANNOT RIDE TO ANY LOCATION TO CHECK OR ADD AIR. YOU CANNOT TRUST THEIR GAUGE. HARD ENOUGH TO BE SURE YOURS AT HOME IS SPOT ON. DO IT AT HOME WITH YOUR OWN EQUIPMENT. IS THE AIR DRY AT THE PUMP YOU GO TO? THEY DON'T CARE ABOUT THE QUALITY OF AIR YOU GET. A LITTLE BIT OF MOISTURE AIN'T GOOD. CANNOT USE A HAND PUMP & 110v PUMP IS A GOOD INVESTMENT. I DON'T LIKE 12v PUMPS MYSELF. GET TWO PRESSURE GAUGES. PENCIL(sp)? TYPE ARE CHEAP & THERE ARE BETTER TYPES MADE. YOUR TIRES, RIDE & MIND WILL APPRECIATE YOUR CARE. EXACT AND RIGHT PRESSURE = A BETTER RIDE.
CANNOT SAY WHAT PSI FOR YOU, I LIKE TO BE AT MAXIMUM STATED ON THE TIRES, AGAIN COLD. I REALIZE PSI WILL INCREASE AS
YOU RIDE SO USE YOUR JUDGEMENT ON AMOUNT.

Last edited by CHOPPIN' CHARLIE; 01-01-2011 at 10:15 AM.
Old 01-01-2011 | 10:09 AM
Faast Ed
Banned

Originally Posted by MNPGRider
The only thing I can think of here to help you out, is to check the pressure at home when the tire is cold, and then check it again at the station. If it's four lbs low at home, as an example, add four lbs at the station, regardless of what the pressure guage now says. Check it again the next day at home when tires are cold, and see how close you got.
That ought to get you by until you come up with a cheap compressor.

So obvious, yet I didn't think of it either.

Old 01-01-2011 | 03:30 PM
dfndr
Road Master

I bought a little yellow pancake type compressor at Kragen or Autozone some years ago on sale for $49 or so. Works great and light. Just carry it to area of each tire on car or bike and never be underinflated. I then splurged on the Harley air guage with right angle chuck and steel cable hose. It fits any bike and the wife's scooters. Best investments you can make IMHO.

Old 01-01-2011 | 03:44 PM
emwolb
Ultimate HDF Member

had you considered seeing what your owners manual suggests? those aren't some random numbers that someone just dreamed up. i wouldn't worry about whether it's before sunup when you air your tires, or that they're totally cold, that's pretty insignificant. just make sure that you check your air pressure and if it's low add what it takes to bring it up to specs. with that question being addressed, i'm almost sure you know how to maintain the tire pressure in your car.

Quick Reply: Tire Pressure Question