Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tire Pressure Question

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2011 | 04:48 PM
jpalm
|
Road Captain

Originally Posted by emwolb
had you considered seeing what your owners manual suggests? those aren't some random numbers that someone just dreamed up.
Yes, I realize that the owner's manual will tell me, as will the tire itself. However, I don't have it with me, but I do have a computer and some free time. Looking to ride as soon as I get home and I thought asking the guys on this site would eliminate the need to dig it out and waste riding time.

Originally Posted by emwolb
i wouldn't worry about whether it's before sunup when you air your tires, or that they're totally cold, that's pretty insignificant. just make sure that you check your air pressure and if it's low add what it takes to bring it up to specs. with that question being addressed, i'm almost sure you know how to maintain the tire pressure in your car.
Yes, I do know how to maintain the pressure in my car's tires, as does anyone else whose IQ is above 7. I normally do have a compressor at the house to air up cold tires, but it recently took a dirt nap and I will be going soon to get a new one. I am not so worried about my car's tires while I'm inbetween compressors, but properly inflated motorcycle tires is a vital safety issue and I was just hoping that someone had a good warm/hot pressure number to get me by until my compressor is replaced.

Old 01-01-2011 | 05:02 PM
Bodean46
Road Master

I check mine first thing in the morning. I keep them at 36 front and 40 rear. Just changed rear with 13600 miles on it and front had a little over 31000. If I have to ride to get air (as it seems my compressor is very popular with my buddies) i check it first then ride to station and add what was low to it then check it again the next morning, hopefuly my compressor has returned by then.

Old 01-01-2011 | 05:05 PM
MNPGRider
Seasoned HDF Member

Well, if you have stock dunlops, you are probably looking at 40 in the rear (with a passenger), and 36 in the front. You didn't ask for pressures in your opening post...you asked what to do about pressure after riding to the station.

Any biker worth the title would know what their tire pressures should be. You only have to look in the manual once.....like the day you bought the bike. IMO

There is no such thing as a warm tire pressure reading.....too many variables.

Old 01-01-2011 | 05:27 PM
Ronp42
Account Retired

38 front 40 rear check the pressure at home with the tires cold. If they need air, use the same gauge and add that much at the station. Walmart sells a slime compressor that plugs into your cig. lighter. Works great!

Old 01-02-2011 | 12:36 PM
jdallen
1st Gear

I got my '06 Fatboy last October - had it in the local Harley shop to adjust the clutch slack in Dec - I had not checked my tire pressure since I bought it. Never rode a Harley before, and memories of the old Triumph I had back in '72 evidently did not make it to 2010, because I didn't think they were low. They cautioned me about tire pressure, and aired them up.

It felt like I was riding w/o rubber. When I got home, next morning, I checked w/my gauge, and they were 35 psi. That's lower than recommended (40), but they feel so damn hard. It doesn't seem right, somehow.

Old 01-02-2011 | 03:17 PM
Faast Ed
Banned

Yes, I realize that the owner's manual will tell me, as will the tire itself. However, I don't have it with me, but I do have a computer and some free time. Looking to ride as soon as I get home and I thought asking the guys on this site would eliminate the need to dig it out and waste riding time
Don't go by what's written on the tire. That's "Max" pressure, not recommended pressure.
Every vehicle has it's own rated pressure for tires.

Most cars have it listed in there door jamb.

40 rear, 36 front is pretty average for our bikes.

The only exception that I know of, are Metzler tires. For some reason they like a lot of pressure.
I don't run them on my spoke rims because of that. Besides, they wear fast.

Old 01-02-2011 | 04:03 PM
emwolb
Ultimate HDF Member

for now, a suitable solution for you that wouldn't cost a lot would be a good quality bicycle pump. our tires don't require much volume, and a few pumps would bring your pressure up to where you need it to be. i suggest one with the metal screw on coupler for the valve stem rather than a plastic clip on type though.

Old 01-02-2011 | 10:47 PM
Harleyboyddk
Road Master

Keep a quality gauge in my car and on the bike. Check bike cold, in garage. Use quality bicycle floor pump. Haven't ridden the Cannondale Mtn bike in years, but the pump gets used. If you use air at gas stations, Chevron policy is free air. Even though the air compressor states 50 cents, go inside and ask for 'tokens' for the air compressor. Found this out when I asked for change for the air, and they gave me the tokens and said Chevron policy, no charge.

Last edited by Harleyboyddk; 01-02-2011 at 10:50 PM.
Old 01-02-2011 | 10:56 PM
Rhubarb
Ultimate HDF Member

Even with a compressor, I find the bike pump easier to adjust a few pounds.
No need for a compressor. I have an $8 bike pump with a guage on it that works great. 2-3 pumps and i'm there.

Old 01-02-2011 | 11:09 PM
Teardrop
Road Warrior

I keep the rear tire at 40 PSI and the front tire at 36 PSI. I always check when cold so I can't help you there.

Quick Reply: Tire Pressure Question