Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pulled the baffles out of my Rineharts..

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2010, 12:04 PM
shore
Stellar HDF Member
Received 96 Likes on 70 Posts
Default Pulled the baffles out of my Rineharts..

Just to see what it's like ya know. Not like it's had to a waste of time.

Oh man, do they sound nice when riding. They are the newer style with the straight perforated standard baffles. 1 was a pain to get out, the other popped right out.

I'm torn on what to do....they are just slip-ons so my choice of headers and BCT baffles is out the door. The amount of flow/sound out the left pipe is funny also. I'm definitely going to need true dual head pipes. That left semi-dummy pipe is a joke. It's definitely robbing the true dual sound.

The bike runs just like it did prior to pulling the baffles out. I got a couple pops on decel when cold but the tone is great. It does have that hollow can sound on decel but it's not annoying at all and not overbearing in the least. It has never popped on decel so that might be helping that. Pulled nicely in each gear from any useable rpm. No dead spots that I noticed. It might be a touch down on Tq but revs quicker. If that even makes sense at all.

IMO, they are bit too loud at idle but they sound excellent when riding. Grab the throttle and they sound awesome. I wish there was a halfway meeting point on this sound level. It's fun to ride, that's for sure. I did notice myself backing off the gas around cops.

Old 12-31-2010, 12:18 PM
xdanman
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default re

You gotta watch taking back pressure away.

Old 12-31-2010, 12:24 PM
frankiefire702
Road Master

Are they supposed to be removable? Id like to try this but dont wanna damage anything.

Old 12-31-2010, 12:24 PM
shore
Stellar HDF Member

I know, exhaust valves don't like no back pressure. That's why I want a happy place in between.

Old 12-31-2010, 12:27 PM
shore
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by frankiefire702
Are they supposed to be removable? Id like to try this but dont wanna damage anything.

Take the pipe off and remove the end cap. It has 3 allens and slides out. The inner baffle is 1 piece and slides toward the rear of the pipe. It is slip fit into the front portion of the pipe. You'll have to get a screwdriver on the lip inside and tap it out.

It's fairly simple. Be careful of the allen screws. They are soft and will strip. get a good fit in them as they can be semi-frozen in.

I heat my pipes up a little by idling and then undo the screws.

Old 12-31-2010, 01:00 PM
shore
Stellar HDF Member

Well, I think I have it figured out. I put the right(main) baffle back in and left the passive(left) baffle out....sounds great and not to loud.

Gonna leave it like this and see how she runs.

I have a pair or xieds coming to richen it up already.

Old 12-31-2010, 01:13 PM
Leftcoaster
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

I don't know what diameter baffle is standard in the slip-ons but I know they offer larger baffles. Why not try one of those? You would regain the back pressure the motor needs.
Also, you can rid your motor of that useless "Y" pipe with a Fulsac conversion (in lieu of 2" header pipes).

Last edited by Leftcoaster; 12-31-2010 at 01:15 PM.
Old 12-31-2010, 01:18 PM
jcs
Stage IV

hey dude i have the true dual rienharts on mt 07 flhtcu and have wondered about pulling the baffles clear out, what do you know about this?

Old 12-31-2010, 01:22 PM
shore
Stellar HDF Member

$100 for the baffles and nobody has anything good to say about them. I was real close to getting a used pair and the guy even said they hardly make a difference.

I just put a few miles on her and she runs great. It's a louder rinehart sound.

What it did is open up the dummy pipe. The sound level between the 2 is about even now. Much better. I'm sure it has enough back pressure now with the main baffle back in.

To be honest, if I got to the extent of modding the Y-pipe, then I might as well just cough up new head pipes. They aren't much for a used set of dresser duals. Then put the baffle back in and put some fuel to her.

I'm still wanting 4" rinehart's or a CFR's....who knows. I change my mind each week like most of us. Lol.

Old 12-31-2010, 01:27 PM
shore
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by jcs
hey dude i have the true dual rienharts on mt 07 flhtcu and have wondered about pulling the baffles clear out, what do you know about this?

Same thing, just pop them out. The only part that sucks on my slip-ons is I'm using the stock 1 3/4" header and BCT baffles don't fit them. They have nothing to do with the slip-ons. They fit in the last section of header right in front of the mufflers.

You're gonna find it even louder with the 2" headers and no baffles at all. I've read alot of happy people with the BCT baffles and no baffles in mufflers. Louder and runs right.

Quick Reply: Pulled the baffles out of my Rineharts..