Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Windshield/Fairing Pouch Dilema

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2010, 04:29 AM
VTGlideRider
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Windshield/Fairing Pouch Dilema

Hi Folks - I just got an E-Z Pass for my bike (tired of digging around for toll money!) and was looking for a place to mount it that wasn't directly on the windshield. I searched the forums and found several threads about where folks have mounted them. My initial thought was to go inside the Tour Pack lid, but some people say it works, some say its not reliable. Same with inside the saddlebags. The only 2 reliable places other than sticking it to the windshield seem to be inside the fairing, which I don't want to do, or inside a windshield/fairing pouch, which seemed more reasonable to me.

I searched the Harley web site for pouches that would fit my 2010 FLHTC and found a few, but the problem is the one "gotcha" in the fitment comments: "Will not fit with a fairing mounted GPS mount". I have the HD fairing mounted GPS mount for my Zumo 550. I love it and it looks great so I dont want to give that up and go handlebar. Its mounted on the left side of the fairing.

Am I basically out of luck with a fairing pouch if I want to keep the GPS mount or is there maybe a pouch someone else makes that would play nice with GPS mount and fit my E-Z Pass inside? Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks!

Old 12-31-2010, 06:00 AM
Wibbo
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Why not just put it in a jacket pocket ?

Last edited by Wibbo; 12-31-2010 at 06:01 AM. Reason: typo
Old 12-31-2010, 06:19 AM
MSgt Rose
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It would help if you gave the dimensions of the easy pass so we would have an idea of what size you are looking to put in the windshield bag. Also I know you say that you don't want the easy pass under the fairing, but why not? To me, the logical place is under the fairing, unless you use it in more than one vehicle or something.

Old 12-31-2010, 07:05 AM
db2753
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I keep mine in the right saddlebag and works just fine for me. Have it attached to the front section and just make sure the arrows are pointing up.

Old 12-31-2010, 07:28 AM
bluffalobob
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have the Zumo mounted on the fairing as well, and finally found a single pouch on eBay. The problem with it is that it wasn't very sturdy and kinda flopped around. I solved that by putting some velcro tape between the bag and the inside of the windshield. Works great, and give me a place to keep my regular glasses when I switch to my riding ones.

Attached Thumbnails Windshield/Fairing Pouch Dilema-gps.jpg  
Old 12-31-2010, 07:38 AM
peddler
Club Member
Received 72 Likes on 55 Posts

I spent years convincing myself a windshield bag(s) were a good idea. Got the TBag 3 bag setup. Works grate for a PA EZPass. Now I want to add a GPS (fairing mount) and I'm out of luck unless I go with handlebar mount.

If you find a good wind shield bag that accomodates the fairing GPS mount let us know.

Old 12-31-2010, 07:47 AM
Trojan63
Cruiser

I had the same problem, I used the Harley Two-Pocket Fairing Pouch and just slid it over to where the left pouch in the center, looks balanced with the GPS unit.

Old 12-31-2010, 08:01 AM
peddler
Club Member
Received 72 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Trojan63
I had the same problem, I used the Harley Two-Pocket Fairing Pouch and just slid it over to where the left pouch in the center, looks balanced with the GPS unit.

Old 12-31-2010, 08:20 AM
greglal
Cruiser

I too wanted pouches and my GPS mounted in the same place so I custom made a mount using the Harley 2 bag system. I don't have the Zumo but a slight change in my mount would have worked for a Zumo just as well.

Even though it was more work adding extensions to the base and spreading the bags apart; I chose the 2 bag system instead of the 3 bag (and just removing the middle bag) because the 2 bag is the only one that uses a strong metal base that clips to the dash instead of the plastic backing that slips between the dash and windscreen.

Old 12-31-2010, 08:34 AM
VTGlideRider
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MSgt Rose
It would help if you gave the dimensions of the easy pass so we would have an idea of what size you are looking to put in the windshield bag. Also I know you say that you don't want the easy pass under the fairing, but why not? To me, the logical place is under the fairing, unless you use it in more than one vehicle or something.
The unit is out in the garage so I can't give you actual measurements right now but it is about the size of a deck of cards, so hopefully that will at least give you an idea. I don't want to locate it in the fairing for 2 reasons, the main one being that its not easily accessible. If I ever need to take it out for any reason I have to take the fairing apart. Also, I'm concerned that if it should come loose for any reason I now have something bouncing around the inside of my fairing, which I would imagine is not a good thing

Quick Reply: Windshield/Fairing Pouch Dilema