Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do I need and EFI tuner?

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2010, 11:42 PM
wildcat465
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Do I need and EFI tuner?

I have an '08 FLHRC with V&H twin slash monsters mated to stock header pipes. Just purchased dresser duals. Can I install them without purchasing an EFI tuner? . . .and are the Dresser Duals as east to install as the slip-ons?

Also, I see discussions about the PC3 and PCV. Can someone tell me the difference?

Old 12-30-2010, 11:46 PM
user 8373900
Banned
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

If your air cleaner is stock, you're probably OK. Right on the edge of needing a tuner. If you have an open air cleaner you definitely need a tuner.

Mark

Old 12-31-2010, 12:13 AM
BackRoader
Road Master
Received 106 Likes on 85 Posts

Did the open air breather (K&N) and tuner with my V&H monsters. Worth every penny just for the HP gain, plus she runs much cooler.

Old 12-31-2010, 01:07 AM
wildcat465
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ONEDOWNAND5UP
If your air cleaner is stock, you're probably OK. Right on the edge of needing a tuner. If you have an open air cleaner you definitely need a tuner.

Mark
Thanks, I need to catch my breath and stop spening money for a few days. Between the exhaust, seat, bars, grips, and misc. chrome my wallet is feeling a little light. If the EFI module and A/C can wait a few weeks, then I can recover.

Old 12-31-2010, 02:36 AM
emwolb
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

yes, you'll be just fine without having to install a fuel processor/efi tuner. the ecm and 02 sensors will compensate for the air cleaner and the free flowing exhaust. and about the pc-III vs the pc-V, the pc V is the newer evolution of power commander's efi tuners. i had a pcv and honestly wasn't impressed with it. the fuel mileage dropped, the torque felt like it went up. it came pre mapped for my application, but it was the wrong map. i got the correct map for my bike, downloaded it, and still wasn't too impressed. during my 103 build i got the harley sepst=screamin eagle pro super tuner. and got it dynoed. a huge improvement. i didn't like the idea of a third party efi tuner, but each to their own. i know there are a whole lot of power commanders out there working just fine. yeah, your bike won't be damaged by running an air cleaner and different exhaust as long as your 02 sensors are still plugged in.

Old 12-31-2010, 04:38 AM
VTGlideRider
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You will probably get a bunch of different answers on this subject, but my feeling is what another poster said...if you changed the air cleaner as part of your work then you would definitely need to do something about your ECM. If you dont want to go for the big bucks for the SEPT and dont plan on making other mods, such as cams, etc., you might consider letting your dealer do a stage 1 dowload directly to your ECM. It wont tweek every single ounce of HP or torque, but you will see improved performance and the bike will sound better and run cooler.

Old 12-31-2010, 05:06 AM
Grillfish
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just installed V&H Dresser Duals. Not as easy as putting on new mufflers, but it was not too bad. Take your time taking off the stock header, don't damage the 02 sensors, and you might need a small pick to get out the stock exhaust gaskets. Once you have the stock header off, the duals go on pretty easy.

Good luck!

Old 12-31-2010, 07:02 AM
vtwinbob
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by wildcat465
I have an '08 FLHRC with V&H twin slash monsters mated to stock header pipes. Just purchased dresser duals. Can I install them without purchasing an EFI tuner? . . .and are the Dresser Duals as east to install as the slip-ons?

Also, I see discussions about the PC3 and PCV. Can someone tell me the difference?

here is a thread with a lot of info on the tuner it might help with your question, it did for me
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...n-running.html