Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

J&M Fairing Speaker Mat

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2010, 08:55 PM
1sweetglide08
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default J&M Fairing Speaker Mat

Has anyone tried the J&M fairing speaker mat? If so could you hear the before and after difference. Any thoughts if this speaker mat is effective with tighting the bass within the fairing.

Old 12-30-2010, 09:53 PM
URLUZN
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I installed the J&M speakers front and rear first. Made a huge difference over stock. Then installed the J&M amp which came with foam pads. Both installed at the same time, so I cant tell you the difference just with the foam pads alone. I can say the stereo does not sound good with the fairing off, so the foam pads inside of the fairing should help with the speaker response. I don't think you can go wrong with the pads. I would do it again. But thats my thoughts. Hope it helps.

Old 12-30-2010, 10:16 PM
faapilot
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Had my J&M's installed by Dr. VTwin...they used Dyna Mat, not the foam.
Sounds good and works well.
Ride Safe!

Old 12-30-2010, 10:41 PM
07FLHT
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by faapilot
Had my J&M's installed by Dr. VTwin...they used Dyna Mat, not the foam.
Sounds good and works well.
Ride Safe!
Was just gonna ask, Whats the difference between Dyna Mat and the J&M stuff?

Old 12-31-2010, 07:18 AM
1flhtk4me
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 90 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by 07FLHT
Was just gonna ask, Whats the difference between Dyna Mat and the J&M stuff?
Not sure about the J&M stuff,but once you put on the Dyna Mat it is not coming off!
Dyna Mat is almost like a sticky flexible tar with foil on one side.I had installed on my old road Glide.
If you go with Dyna Mat and have any issues with the fairing,the ESP will reject any claim if they see it.This happened to me.

Old 12-31-2010, 08:43 AM
DocHarley
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Your system will sound good with no foam, better using the foam and even better using Dyan Mat. My buddy used Dyna Mat and I swear his bike appears heavier in the front when steering because of the added weight (Dyna Mat and Hog speakers which have HUGH magnets). This is one reason why I bought the J&M speakers because of the smaller magnets (which are better then the big magnets found on some speakers) If you go with Dyan Mat consider buying the light weight material. I'm using the foam when I install my J&M system because of the weight difference. Why do you think J&M uses smaller magnets, for the hell of it, or they wanted to cut down on the weight?

Think about it....

Dyna Mat
Big Speakers magnets
Sat radio Module

Thats a lot of added weight and will effect the steering characteristics IMO.

Old 12-31-2010, 08:59 AM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,371 Likes on 2,543 Posts

Originally Posted by 1flhtk4me
If you go with Dyna Mat and have any issues with the fairing,the ESP will reject any claim if they see it.This happened to me.
i know that they try everything in the book to try and weasel out of esp, but what issue did you have with your fairing and what was their reason (excuse) for not covering it?

Old 12-31-2010, 09:14 AM
1flhtk4me
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 90 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by skratch
i know that they try everything in the book to try and weasel out of esp, but what issue did you have with your fairing and what was their reason (excuse) for not covering it?
The radio bracket was wearing grooves in the outer fairing.On mine the grooves actually wore thru to the outside.
The dealer took pics of the fairing off the bike and sent them to the ESP idots.In one of the photos,a little bit of the mat was visible and the insurance co.(ESP) said the mat was the cause of the grooves.

Old 12-31-2010, 09:20 AM
Conehead
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't know if this is the same type stuff but I was told to try this:http://www.secondskinaudio.com/index.php The damplifier and the overkill.

Old 12-31-2010, 09:45 AM
2WheelGlider
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have used both the foam and dynamat on two different bikes, couldn't tell much difference between them. If I do it again, I would use the foam that's included with the kit instead of buying the dynamat. Foam does make for a tighter fit reinstalling the fairings.

Quick Reply: J&M Fairing Speaker Mat