Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

J&M Fairing Speaker Mat

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2010 | 11:43 AM
JMJOHN
Platinum Sponsor

The J&M acoustic pads are made from top-quality closed cell foam, die-cut to fit properly for each application, pre-gummed for easy installation, and they will not catch fire, even when exposed to open flame ,,,,

they do NOT interfere with the reinstallation of the fairing clamshell, as they will easily compress wherever they may touch wire looms or components inside the fairing ,,,,,

see http://www.jmcorp.com/SeeProducts.asp?PF=43 & http://www.jmcorp.com/ProductDetail....SAP-HDCL&PF=43 ,,,,

HAPPY NEW YEAR !!

Old 12-31-2010 | 12:30 PM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member

john,

what about us sharknose guys?

Old 12-31-2010 | 01:39 PM
mfuchs2004
Road Captain

Originally Posted by 1flhtk4me
The radio bracket was wearing grooves in the outer fairing.On mine the grooves actually wore thru to the outside.
The dealer took pics of the fairing off the bike and sent them to the ESP idots.In one of the photos,a little bit of the mat was visible and the insurance co.(ESP) said the mat was the cause of the grooves.
Just playing devil's advocate here: is it possible that the mat added weight and caused the fairing to press onto the brackets? If not, can you determine any other reason for it to do so, because you'll be able to suceed in your claim with ESP if you can show a mfg defect was the cause.

The only possible mfg cause I can think of is the moco making radio bracket wrong, or molding a warped outer fairing. Did these parts rub before you installed the mat? Maybe I've missed another possible mfg defect you can show?

Old 12-31-2010 | 02:37 PM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by mfuchs2004
Just playing devil's advocate here: is it possible that the mat added weight and caused the fairing to press onto the brackets? If not, can you determine any other reason for it to do so, because you'll be able to suceed in your claim with ESP if you can show a mfg defect was the cause.

The only possible mfg cause I can think of is the moco making radio bracket wrong, or molding a warped outer fairing. Did these parts rub before you installed the mat? Maybe I've missed another possible mfg defect you can show?
there have been more than a few posts on the fairing rubbing on the radio brackets. i don't really think its a causal relationship between the wear and the mat.

Old 01-01-2011 | 09:37 PM
mfuchs2004
Road Captain

Originally Posted by skratch
there have been more than a few posts on the fairing rubbing on the radio brackets. i don't really think its a causal relationship between the wear and the mat.
Thanks scratch! I found some posts on this and other forums. Gonna look at mine during some winter projects.

Old 01-02-2011 | 08:10 AM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member

I used DynaXorb; also made by Dynamat:

http://www.dynamat.com/products_car_audio_dynaxorb.html

My impression is the DynaXorb does what it's intended to do (dispersing/attenuating the backwave at the speaker) since the strength of the vibration felt with my hand on the outer fairing was signifificantly reduced after installing the DynaXorb, and the sound seemed better with the bike on the kickstand. It's was not a "WOW" sort of change.

I bought mine from Firecap501 here, and he also later suggested to others to simply buy inexpensive mouse pads and use those to achieve the same effect.

The J&M mat is similar to the filter elements used on vacuum cleaners, hair dryers, etc. and for $30 or so more convenient than cutting your own.

Good luck with your research.

Carl

Old 01-02-2011 | 08:46 AM
houronron
Cruiser

I used the cheap mouse pads which Firecap501 suggested. I just cut each pad to fit and used 3M spray adhesive to attach them. I have the ARC mini amp and 6.5 speakers along with the Kenwood KDC-X493 and it sounds really good. Much much better than the factory HK unit.

Ronnie

Old 01-02-2011 | 09:56 AM
bdp
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Harleypingman
I used DynaXorb; also made by Dynamat:

http://www.dynamat.com/products_car_audio_dynaxorb.html

My impression is the DynaXorb does what it's intended to do (dispersing/attenuating the backwave at the speaker) since the strength of the vibration felt with my hand on the outer fairing was signifificantly reduced after installing the DynaXorb, and the sound seemed better with the bike on the kickstand. It's was not a "WOW" sort of change.

I bought mine from Firecap501 here, and he also later suggested to others to simply buy inexpensive mouse pads and use those to achieve the same effect.

The J&M mat is similar to the filter elements used on vacuum cleaners, hair dryers, etc. and for $30 or so more convenient than cutting your own.

Good luck with your research.

Carl
Same stuff I have and same thoughts on the wow. Mine was about $20 thru Amazon.
Overall Its an improvement for $20