Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question for those with lowered Road King seats

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2010 | 04:09 PM
Seadweller
|
Intermediate
Default Question for those with lowered Road King seats

I've had my '08 Road King for around 3 months now, and absolutely love the bike. It's my first Harley, as I rode sport bikes for 30+ years. It took about a week to get used to the change, because what I owned before the Road King was the polar opposite.

The one thing I liked about my sport bikes was that you felt "integrated" with the bike. When I first got the Road King, it felt like I was sitting in a chair, above the bike.

Of course, I visited the Harley dealer, sat on a Fat Boy, and got that "integrated" feeling, kind of like you're part of the bike, not sitting on top of it. Problem is, I don't want to "downgrade".

I've gone to lower bars (Wild 1 WO504's), but am still yearning for a more "integrated" feel when seated/riding. I'm 6'2", so I don't need a reach seat, don't need to lower the bike, nor do I have an issue touching the ground, but I want a seat that gets me more "integrated" with the bike.

Of course, there's a catch...I also need a seat that accomodates the stock passenger backrest, and is overly comfortable for a passenger. A Street Glide style seat, for example, won't work.

Has anyone found a compromise?

Old 12-30-2010 | 05:32 PM
pargenz
Outstanding HDF Member

I ride solo, so my input wouldn't be much help.
I will say that in my opinion you aren't gonna get that feeling from a touring bike. The ergonomics are completely different than a sport bike. Enjoy the fact that you can do 1,000 miles in a day without a visit to a chiropractor.

Old 12-30-2010 | 05:42 PM
gipper
Road Master

A Danny Gray Short Hop 2 Up did just that for me. It's approx 1" lower than the stock seat of my 05 RKC is/was, and it accomodated my passanger. For the passenger, it's not not an all day seat, but it will give the operator that "integrated" feeling. It's also a wicked looking 2 up seat if you like a low profile look.

BTW - Been lurking for a year, first time post. Can't begin to express how much I appreciate the info that is shared on this site on a daily basis.

-Jim

Old 12-30-2010 | 05:42 PM
Iceman24
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Air Force

Three simple words..."Mean City Cycles"

Call them & discuss seat mods.

Old 12-30-2010 | 06:01 PM
Texas Rapier
Road Warrior

I felt a major improvement over the lockin feel in my 09 King with the Corbin classic solo.

Last edited by Texas Rapier; 12-30-2010 at 10:30 PM.
Old 12-30-2010 | 06:13 PM
dabluesguy
Road Master

Originally Posted by Iceman24
Three simple words..."Mean City Cycles"

Call them & discuss seat mods.
I bought a Sundowner seat, which sits lower but moved me forward, which I didn't need. Mean City fixed me up with the correct mods plus memory foam and my wife loves the comfort on the back also. MCC is a sponsor on this site.

Old 12-30-2010 | 07:59 PM
GPHDXLC
Grand HDF Member

The stock seat on the new 11 RK are just over 1.5" lower then the previous years. I'm 5'9" and my Dealer had a 11 and a 10 on the showroom floor, the 10 I could just touch the floor with my feet and on the 11 it was a lot easier.

Old 12-30-2010 | 08:13 PM
Sleeko
Stellar HDF Member
Talking

Originally Posted by GPHDXLC
The stock seat on the new 11 RK are just over 1.5" lower then the previous years. I'm 5'9" and my Dealer had a 11 and a 10 on the showroom floor, the 10 I could just touch the floor with my feet and on the 11 it was a lot easier.
+ 1

There was a 2010 and '11 side by side at the dealer. Could flat foot the 2011, was on tiptoe on the 20010. Go figure . . .

Old 12-30-2010 | 09:14 PM
Philly76
Cruiser

Had the exact same issue I am 6'4". The seat seat was the easiest fix I have done to the bike. Had the dealer install the stock Street Glide seat on my RKC. Immediately sits you into the bike. Two other quick changes that I feel helped: added the extended floorboards and the 12.5" Wild 1 bars (switching to 14" in a few days). Also works with he stock HD backrest. Go to your dealer and test ride a Street Glide and you will get to feel the connectivity for yourself. Note most dealers have this seat available as a takeoff in the back - probably cut you a deal or check e-bay.

Old 12-30-2010 | 09:27 PM
jvvjvv
Tourer

I come from a 45 year history of dirt and sport bikes. Got a couple of Dyna's along the way. Still have a 98 wide glide. Pick up a 09 RK a few months ago and like Pargenz said, you will not get that same feeling from the RK.

A month or so ago I went on a 4 day group ride through all the great twistys in Northern Ca. One other RK, all the rest were sports/sports touring. Even did some dirt roads. After some 1,800 some odd miles, I came to the conclusion that this is NOT going to be a sport bike.

Since then I have added Ricor suspension front and rear. Then I re changed springs on the rear shocks and then changed the front springs to progressive still with the Ricor valves. The bike is very stable in the corners at speed. It was with the first Ricor set up...........just to harsh on the choppy/bumpy straight roads. She is very predictable/stable and handles great.

Also added a third engine mount.........BUT she is not going to be a "sports bike".

The Dyna gives you the sport bike feeling..............pretty much/sorty...........but the RK is just going to have to live up to it name. King of the road........not King of the twistys.

I use a Corbin solo .....had it set up to keep me forward a little and it is an inch or so lower.

I did a few 10 hr days with the stock seat when I first got the bike and the seat "seemed" fine to me.. Just my $.002.

Quick Reply: Question for those with lowered Road King seats