Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Quick headlight wiring question

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2010, 03:37 PM
mastery
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Quick headlight wiring question

I'm installing the flash2pass, and like about everything else I install on the bike, got a problem. I come to expect those, no matter how easy the install is supposed to be

Got the wall unit mounted, and it blinks every 3 seconds like it is supposed to. Installed the transmitter under the fairing, and connected to the wires before the connector going to the headlamp unit.

There are 3 wires...white, yellow, black. I connected to white and yellow ones. Of course, it doesn't work. Before I start jacking things around, anybody know which is the ground color? I figured black...and my service manual shows me every light wiring diagram except the headlamp (or I can't find it...make sense to put it on pullout B-24, but what do I know).

Direction says don't connect to the ground, so if I can figure that out, I'll back trace. It says to connect to the two outside wires, which I did (yellow and white), but apparently that's not correct.

Stupid question I know...just don't want to keep jabbing holes into my wires if I'm not even on the right wires. Help a fellow out?

Oh, I have a 2008 Ultra if that helps.

Old 12-30-2010, 04:08 PM
mastery
Outstanding HDF Member

Ok, I figured it out. It connects to the white and black wires. My directions were wrong, since it said to go with the two outside wires, and my black is in the middle.

Just wanted to throw this up for anybody else that may run into a problem in the future.

Tried it out now that I have it connected, and it's nnniicccceeee! I have a 6 year old garage door opener, and still had to use an AC adapter to the receiver to get enough voltage to it to work. Had one laying around the house unused, meets the specs and works fine.

Old 12-30-2010, 08:23 PM
Udawg
HDF Community Team
Received 151 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by mastery
Ok, I figured it out. It connects to the white and black wires. My directions were wrong, since it said to go with the two outside wires, and my black is in the middle.

Just wanted to throw this up for anybody else that may run into a problem in the future.

Tried it out now that I have it connected, and it's nnniicccceeee! I have a 6 year old garage door opener, and still had to use an AC adapter to the receiver to get enough voltage to it to work. Had one laying around the house unused, meets the specs and works fine.
I have one of these on my other bike but never could use it outside the garage. My house (and garage door opener) is only 4 years old so I didn't think I needed the power supply but that may be my problem too. I'll give it a try if I have one laying around. Congrats on getting yours working. How far outside the garage can you get and it still work (with the door closed)?

Old 12-30-2010, 08:34 PM
mastery
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Udawg
I have one of these on my other bike but never could use it outside the garage. My house (and garage door opener) is only 4 years old so I didn't think I needed the power supply but that may be my problem too. I'll give it a try if I have one laying around. Congrats on getting yours working. How far outside the garage can you get and it still work (with the door closed)?
Udawg...I saw a couple of reviews where people stated that adding a power supply helped increase the range. My problem is that I couldn't even get the LED to blink every 3 seconds like it's supposed to without using one. They have them at the manufacturer's website for $10...but you can also use a AC adapter from a old cordless phone if you have one laying around, as long as it's in the 9V to 35V range on the output, and has the right plug-in fitting. My guess is that providing some voltage to the receiver can only help it work better.

I didn't go far, even though it was 50 today, I still have ice out on the roads in my subdivision from all the blowing snow the last two weeks. I did take it to the end of the driveway and it works, but now that I have the bike taken apart for other projects, it will be several weeks before I get to test the range.

Old 12-30-2010, 09:04 PM
Udawg
HDF Community Team

Udawg...I saw a couple of reviews where people stated that adding a power supply helped increase the range. My problem is that I couldn't even get the LED to blink every 3 seconds like it's supposed to without using one. They have them at the manufacturer's website for $10...but you can also use a AC adapter from a old cordless phone if you have one laying around, as long as it's in the 9V to 35V range on the output, and has the right plug-in fitting. My guess is that providing some voltage to the receiver can only help it work better.

I didn't go far, even though it was 50 today, I still have ice out on the roads in my subdivision from all the blowing snow the last two weeks. I did take it to the end of the driveway and it works, but now that I have the bike taken apart for other projects, it will be several weeks before I get to test the range.
I'm going to give it a try. It can't hurt. I just have to wait for some warm weather. It's going to about 7 tonight and only 18 or so tomorrow. I really need to get a good heater for the garage. It's too cold to work on anything out there right now.

Old 12-30-2010, 09:16 PM
mastery
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Udawg
I'm going to give it a try. It can't hurt. I just have to wait for some warm weather. It's going to about 7 tonight and only 18 or so tomorrow. I really need to get a good heater for the garage. It's too cold to work on anything out there right now.
First thing I did yesterday with my days off...went to WallyWorld and got a nice electric Sunbeam large room heater for $44. Heat's the garage up fast, and stays nice and toasty. Sure makes working on the bike a LOT more enjoyable

Old 12-30-2010, 09:17 PM
Udawg
HDF Community Team

First thing I did yesterday with my days off...went to WallyWorld and got a nice electric Sunbeam large room heater for $44. Heat's the garage up fast, and stays nice and toasty. Sure makes working on the bike a LOT more enjoyable
I bought one from Lowes, the best thing they had, and left it on for 5 hours and couldn't tell it was on. I may have to look at that Sunbeam. I got a quote from a heating guy and he wants $1800 to put in a celing mounted with thermostat. I just don't use it that much.