Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I am offically a dumb ass

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2010, 10:58 AM
beary
Grand HDF Member
Received 282 Likes on 187 Posts

My 02 RKC was the first bike I bought in 25 years. I rode strait to a friends house from the dealership where we both watched my new Harley fall on the guards as I stepped off because I forgot that kickstand thingy. I was so imbarrased that I don't even remember thinking about the weight as I picked it back up.

I dropped my SG in the parking lot with several people watching. Again, I was so imbarrased that I don't remember how I picked the bike up without the saddlebag guards like the RKC. Even now, I still can't figure out what I grabbed to pick it up.

Beary

Old 12-30-2010, 11:01 AM
Ultra Street Jewell
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you'll never forget again.

Old 12-30-2010, 11:10 AM
kwoozn
Road Captain

Not a member of the club (yet) hoping not to join!
But here is a video on picking a bike up alone.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BeLkrPkjimo

Seen the same thing demo'd at a dealer a few years ago.

Old 12-30-2010, 11:14 AM
runnhrd
Road Master
Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts

Well that is better than last summer with me. Was on a poker run and while sitting at the bar having a cold one watching the darlins on the beach another rider pulled in, backed into a spot and yep,,, just walked off. When his fell over it took down 12 of us like a big domino thingy,,, the great thing is the only thing hit was guards around bags and seats so no real damage...but we all did drink free beer the rest of the ride!

Old 12-30-2010, 11:21 AM
jeffreydsilver
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 165 Likes on 114 Posts
Default not a dumb *** yet

same thing here only wasn't trying to put it on the stand - just backing it out and don't know quite what happened next - like I was forwarned - don't try to stop it from going down but I was able to "lay" it down gently! - more ambarrasing than anything else - I will definitely pay more attention to what I am doing in the future - 2nd time would definitely put me in the dumb *** club!!!

Old 12-30-2010, 11:37 AM
lkr0
Elite HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Charter member here

Old 12-30-2010, 11:52 AM
brunosrk
Tourer

Each time I hear something like this it reminds of one of my past "dumb ***" maneuvers. It was the year of the bi-centennial (1976) and I was still drinking an using during that time. I rolled up to a light one night (not feeling much pain or anything else for that matter) after leaving a bar. I was riding one of those 70's style bikes with the extended front end that reached all the way into next Tuesday. Anyway , , , rolled up to the light, all hip, slick and cool and forgot to put my foot down and over I went. Very difficult to maintain "coolness" after a stunt like that.

Old 12-30-2010, 11:59 AM
bknibb
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Near Miss Dumb-***

While not a certified dumb-*** (bike didn't actually touch the ground) my story certainly puts me up there. Was at a local hawg hangout (Wilsonville Oregon). Bike I'm riding is my very first hawg (2002 FLHTCI). Pulled up and there are dozens of bikes/bikers. Trying to be kewl while simultaneously getting a tight gut, I do the slow crawl to demonstrate my gargantuan non-existent skill set. Was going to back my bike in like a "real biker" does, so pulled around to start backing in. As you all know there is that one non-sweet spot were you don't want to apply front brakes while your handlebars are cranked all the way in one direction. So down she goes. I go to the gym quite a bit and for my size (5'8", 170 lbs.) am OK strength-wise, and I caught her 1/2 way down but was "stuck", holding it in the position for what seemed like forever. There I stand, veins bulging, straining, and was just about gonna let her go, then it felt like the hand of God reaching down and helped me pick that bike up. I turned around and there stood one of the meanest, bald headedest, tatted up, bad-*** dudes. He ran over to keep me from becoming a complete dumb-***. Still totally embarrased, but not a fully fledged dumb-***.

Lesson: never judge a book by it's cover.
Lesson #2: when you try to look cool, the cool people can tell, making you look uncool and like a dumb-***.

Last edited by bknibb; 12-30-2010 at 12:03 PM.
Old 12-30-2010, 12:05 PM
keith t
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Another brother dumb ***
Was going to work last summer and dropped my glasses case from my pocket and as I looked back for them (first mistake, still rolling) I guess I started to brake and before I knew it, over we went. Worst part was I there was a pretty high crown in the road and she was on the wrong side of the road so actually laying a little down hill..........embarrassed to say the least since I couldn't get he back up leaning on that slant - looked like a big fish in the road until a neighbor came by and we got her back up again, no real damage but to my ego
Glad to say haven't done that one again

Old 12-30-2010, 12:14 PM
TMART
Road Master

That is the reason I went to my local HD dealer and ordered the saddlebag gaurds for my 2011 RGU!!

Quick Reply: I am offically a dumb ass