Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I want more power

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2010, 07:44 PM
100bagr
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I want more power

I took an 03 flhtci (electra glide classic) and had SE95 upgrade with 203 cam bike has true duals Vance&Hines. they opened up the airbox as part of the kit. They remaped it to hd protocal. No dyno run they said it wasnt needed. Since this time I have learned alot of people have diffrent opionions on this. My next step was to take the bike to a tunner over 150 miles away because his reputation is very high (Zepka's HD) . First thing he wants to do is install Master tuner $650.00 plus dyno run I was considering doing megaflo heads at this time. My question is am I going the right direction?

Old 12-29-2010, 10:19 PM
Mike
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts

Dyno tune plus headwork would definitely be a good next step. If you bump up your compression with the heads, you could run a more agressive cam for more power.

Old 12-30-2010, 02:45 AM
emwolb
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

power is addictive. no matter how much you have, there's a little bit more that can be squeezed out. there comes a point though, where reliability and comfort come into play. reaching that balance, or comfort zone of how it runs and how dependable it is, is a good goal to reach. i wouldn't add an ounce of power to my 103" motor if it became unreliable. it's all about balance, and of course, cubic dollars.

Old 12-30-2010, 11:42 AM
lkr0
Elite HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

it is addictive (power) the more you have the more you want.

It all depends on how much you want to spend + 10% for incidentals

Old 12-30-2010, 12:04 PM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 398 Likes on 340 Posts

the sign in the hot rod shop:

power
cost
reliability

You get to pick 2

This is a great time of year to research options and determine what your needs/ wants are.

You may just find some free power by changing to a 2 into 1 pipe. they enhance torque, which is what we need to get our heavy weight bikes moving.

Lots of good info out there just remember that a lot of people have something they want to sell you, so take your time.
Look for a shop or technician who has a "system approach" and can ensure that cam choice, compression, induction and exhaust all work together for your bike, it's gearing and your style of riding.

Mike

Old 12-30-2010, 01:02 PM
Wingert
Intermediate
Default Remap

I think the opinions already posted are very accurate. It becomes a game of chasing power with dollars.

To your original question - I would add a PowerCommander for around $300 and see how it performs. You may find that just by adding the PowerCommander with the right map from Jamie at Fuel Moto, you won't need the dyno activity. If the bike has soft spots, then pay the extra money for the dyno work.

I've had very good luck on three different bikes going this route.

Old 12-30-2010, 01:50 PM
djl
HDF Community Team
Veteran: Army
Received 2,227 Likes on 1,611 Posts

Don't disagree with anythign that has been posted but woudl add:

1. The true dual are more suitable for lareger displacement congigurations, like 107" or greater. A 2:1 system, like the V&H Propipe will help; there are others but the Propipe is a "best buy" IMHO. If you don't want to lose the look of the duals, both D&D and Thunderheader offer a 2:1 system with ghost pipe.

3. Change cams; Andrews TW37 is a great all around cam in a 95" configuration.

4. Send your heads to Bean at BigBoyz for his street port job and have them decked for compression; Bean can guide you on chamber size as he has done many for that cam.

5. The TTS Mastertune is probably the best system on the market right now; not cheap but a very good system. If looking at DynoJet Power Commander, wait for the new Vision. It is departure from past PCs in that it it a speed density system like the SERT or Mastertune but is targeted at the DIY tuner. The new PC Vision, TTS Mastertune and Thundermax systems all have an auto tune feature that will get the tune pretty close after riding 200-300 miles. The TMax has it's own ECM, so if the ECM went **** up on a ride and one had the presence of mind to carry the OEM ECM, the OEM ECM could be plugged in to get one home. I run the SERT on one of my bikes and although a superior tuning program, not real user friendly. I am seriously considering removing the SERT next upgrage and going with either the PC Vision or TMax; just waiting for more information on the Vision before pulling the trigger.

6. You are going to hear a lot about upgrading your cam plate/tensioner setup but if on a budget, just change tensioners and put that upgrade off for a season. The old chains are "polished" now and a new set of tensioner will probably run many trouble free miles. The most important feature of the new system is the upgraded oil pump. It alone is woth the change over if you have the $$. I am talking "hybrid" kit with billet cam plate.

7. New inner cam bearings.

Old 12-30-2010, 02:19 PM
leohd
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

203 is a very mild cam but great for reliablity...204 would boost your power

Old 12-30-2010, 02:58 PM
onaride63
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Check out Cycle Rama's 575 cam. i had the se 204 and they were fine but I like the 575's better. There heads seem pretty nice also. Both seem to work well with my S.E. race tuner.

Old 12-30-2010, 05:13 PM
Viggen
Intermediate

Have you taken one of the newer HD's out for a spin? I would at least go take one for a spin, like a 09 see what you think. That might be all the power you need & the extra gear helps out a lot.

No clue what the price difference is but it might be worth looking into.

Quick Reply: I want more power