Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stereo head units (other than Sony)

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2011, 09:38 AM
SecondChance!!
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by harleybuilder
What are some of the aftermarket head units that you guys are using? I'm replacing my stock system and still trying to figure out what i want to use. I know im going to go with the Elf amp with a pr of 6-1/2" speakers (not sure what brand tho) in the faring. I don't use an I-pod but would like to maybe use a usb stick loaded with music along with some cd's. I'm going to use the hawgwired install kit.
Mike, cd's?!?!?!? I thought you were so old you were still trying to get your 8 track player on there!!!!! ROFLMFAO!!!!
Love ya bro!!! Couldn't pass it up for the christmas money shot on the battery you got me on!!!!

Old 01-03-2011, 07:22 PM
harleybuilder
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SecondChance!!
Mike, cd's?!?!?!? I thought you were so old you were still trying to get your 8 track player on there!!!!! ROFLMFAO!!!!
I have the 8 track part figured out.....

Old 01-03-2011, 09:48 PM
electra glide
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Kenwood excelon head unit, not sure of the model #. Can run an IPOD or a usb, can have both plugged in at the same time, can't use em both at the same time obviously. BGut will have the usb loaded, IPOD loaded and a CD in the deck, and can then go to radio, satellite if I wanted to pay for it. Use the Excelon speakers and they're pretty good too. Steveh326, how do you get the hand controls to work? Was there a unit you had to get for that?

Old 01-07-2011, 10:17 AM
harleybuilder
Cruiser

Well i have purchased my head unit a Kenwood KMR-440U,the hawg wired install kit HUA470 and the ElfAudio E2125X amp. Now trying to figure out what speakers to get and what ohms, since the amp will run either 2 or 4 ohm speakers.

Old 01-07-2011, 08:43 PM
06BLKPRL
Cruiser

OK....I know you said not Sony, but, I did just instal the sony dsx-s300btx on my 06 Street Glide. It does not play CDs, but the front face flips down and it has a tune tray with a USB connection that will hold your MP3 player inside the unit, so, no ipod cables to run to your saddle bag. There is a lower model, dsx-s200 that is the same without bluetooth. I tried to use the Hawg Wired solution for the Handlebar controls, but, ended up using the axxess aswc to use my controls, works and sounds great!

Old 01-07-2011, 09:00 PM
DGlide04
Elite HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I bought a Kenwood unit which was I-pod ready for my Road King faring, but it ended up in the car instead. An Alpine digital head unit (no CD) found it's way into the Woody's faring. I replaced the stock switch housings with a take-off set from an Electra Glide, wired them up with the radio control switches and installed a steering wheel interface and now use my hand controls for the head unit, not really complicated and definitely something you don't see on a RK that often.

The whole installation is removable with the faring and the I-pod/USB stick control means hours of tunes w/o commercials. Radio works great too.

The Kenwood that went into the car would have made a great head unit in the bike, but since I wasn't going to play CD's on the bike anyway. An 8 GB USB stick is really cheap and holds way music than a handful of CD's.

Old 01-07-2011, 09:05 PM
scarygt
Road Master

Originally Posted by ThaGlyde
I have an alpine 9886M. Its a marine unit that is salt and uv resistant. It also has a cord for the usb that is just long enough to plug my usb in under the inner faring cap. It wont get wet in the rain and no one will ever see it unless you show it to them. You can also purchase a "Power Pack" from Alpine which is a small plug and play amp that will give 100w rms more than the stock stereo produces. The power pack only cost $100 in comparison to what other amps may cost. I run my titan 6.5 and a set of hawg wired tweeters on the whole thing and its "kill your ears loud"!
I was looking at that system when i had my old deadcenter fairing. The little poweramp add on is pretty cool. I'm glad to hear that it is a nice product. Does the head unit work with your hand controls? If so, did you have to buy something extra to make it work?

Old 01-07-2011, 09:52 PM
Beemervet
Ultimate HDF Member

Received 435 Likes on 317 Posts

Any of these suitable head units have a red display? Most all have blue.

Old 01-07-2011, 10:36 PM
98 FLHX
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by kyote
Have had my Sony on mine for 2 yrs now.. no problems whatsoever with Faceplate to Radio contact

....same here....

Old 01-08-2011, 03:30 AM
ThaGlyde
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by scarygt
I was looking at that system when i had my old deadcenter fairing. The little poweramp add on is pretty cool. I'm glad to hear that it is a nice product. Does the head unit work with your hand controls? If so, did you have to buy something extra to make it work?
I have a police electraglide with no radio controls so I would have to go through great lengths at this point to make my radio work through hand controls. And while biketronics does have something I could do it with, id rather spend my money elsewhere. Like on this new gps I picked up!

Also what some that have purchased the power pack may have not realized is that the gain control is a switch at the bottom inside a rubber cover. I wouldn't have been impressed with the unit as well if I didn't find out how to turn the gain up.

Quick Reply: Stereo head units (other than Sony)