Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stereo head units (other than Sony)

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2010, 09:18 AM
07FLHT
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by steveh326
I'm running a Kenwood unit. It has a USB port for my ipod. I have full conrol of the unit with my handlebar controls, including ipod control. my only issue with it is that i can't see the screen in bright sunlight, but thats not a show stopper for me.
+1

Old 12-30-2010, 09:38 AM
GotHog?
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not installed yet but I have the Kenwood KMR-440U, it is a marine radio that has usb and aux port right on the front. The looks should be good since the radio is dark gray and black (not white like most marine radios). Good luck in your decision.

Old 12-30-2010, 11:08 AM
shore
Stellar HDF Member
Received 96 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by andyp
I also run an Alpine 9886m with an elf audio amp,6.5 in titan hertz speakers and a hogtunes tweeter pod,sounds great,crystal clear at any speed. I had the alpine amp that is plug and play,and it just wasnt enough for me,so I added the elf audio amp and couldnt be more pleased.

Where are you getting your amp power and ground from?

Old 12-30-2010, 12:00 PM
TO34
Road Warrior
Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Not to hi-jack your post.. but still being new to the touring side of things... Why not Sony head units? Is there a issue I should be aware of ?

Old 12-30-2010, 01:28 PM
harleybuilder
Cruiser

I really like the looks of the Kenwood and the Alpine. Kenwood being a little cheaper,just wondering if they are more prone to problems?
TO34 to answer your question concerning Sony, I had one on a FLHT and it seemed like i was always having problems with the face losing contacting etc.

Old 12-30-2010, 01:47 PM
twmartin
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just bought the alpine Ida-x100m for mine. Not installed yet.

Old 12-30-2010, 02:42 PM
andyp
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

On my alpine head unit with elf audio amp,I ran power to battery and grounded on neck. And I have had 2 sony marine radios and both had water damage with biketronics covers installed,and I do not spray dirrectly at radio,no problems with Alpine.I would not buy anything but Alpine or Kenwood,both are exc units.

Old 12-31-2010, 05:48 AM
r8rs4lf
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by harleybuilder
What are some of the aftermarket head units that you guys are using? I'm replacing my stock system and still trying to figure out what i want to use. I know im going to go with the Elf amp with a pr of 6-1/2" speakers (not sure what brand tho) in the faring. I don't use an I-pod but would like to maybe use a usb stick loaded with music along with some cd's. I'm going to use the hawgwired install kit.
I am running an Alpine IDA-X100 with an ARC mini. Speakers are J&M 6.25's. I used Hawgwired's bezel and cradle and just recently added their HUA360 universal radio adapter which allows the use of the hand controls. I have my iPod wire run to my left side saddlebag guard bag and I must say I am one happy camper.

Don't pay attention to those Alpine speakers. They were replaced with the J&M's.

Old 12-31-2010, 06:20 AM
houronron
Cruiser
Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

I run the Kenwood KDC-X493 it also has the USB port and Satelite ready. I can't stand commercials on the radio so i use a flash drive in the USB port for all my music and i'm very pleased. I also have the ARC mini amp and 6.5 speskers. I may go to satelite radio in the future. I will agree Glacier's setup is one of the better one's on here.

Ronnie

Old 12-31-2010, 07:01 AM
kyote
Road Master
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by harleybuilder

TO34 to answer your question concerning Sony, I had one on a FLHT and it seemed like i was always having problems with the face losing contacting etc.
Have had my Sony on mine for 2 yrs now.. no problems whatsoever with Faceplate to Radio contact

Quick Reply: Stereo head units (other than Sony)