Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PC5 vs. SERT

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2010 | 04:38 PM
Intensefab
|
Cruiser
Default PC5 vs. SERT

Gonna have my bike dyno'ed and my dyno guy went on a rant about how much better the SERT is than the PC5. He has no problem dynoing with the PC5 but said I will probably be back later because it won't run right. Any thoughts on either tuner....?

Old 12-29-2010 | 05:01 PM
FLHTCU Owner
Road Warrior

Is your Dyno guy working at an HD dealership? If so, then I can see why he's a little biased. I have the SESPT currently, can't speak to whether it runs "better" than the PC-5, but will say it's one less thing on the bike that can go wrong. But that's just my opinion.

Old 12-29-2010 | 05:02 PM
lionsm13
Seasoned HDF Member

BS, it's probably because he doesn't know the PC-V.
You sure that you're taking it to the right tuner?
If it were me, I would be taking it to someone who feels comfortable working with all of them; PC-V, TTS, and the Sert.
If he's good he will not have a problem with any of them.

Old 12-29-2010 | 05:04 PM
BadPiggy
Outstanding HDF Member

Wait a bit longer if you can.
I think that new Power Commander POWERVISION will most likely be the cats ***.
And you won't need a dyno guy.

Old 12-29-2010 | 05:07 PM
djl
HDF Community Team
Veteran: Army
Community Team

The SERT is one of the best systems out there; the TTS Mastertune is probably the only one better. I am a believer in going with the tuner's preferred system. I would feel better about the tuner if he just said, "hey, I am a SERT guy but if you want me to tune with the PC5, I can but the tune probably won't be as tight". If the guy likes the SERT, go with the SERT; if he likes the SERT, he should be fine with the TTS Mastertune as well. The SERT can be upgraded to the TTS Mastertune but if you haven't bought a system yet and are considering the SERT, go with the TTS; more advanced features.

If you are the one that wants the PC5, go find a tuner that prefers working with the PC. These systems are just tools; match the tool and the tech.

Old 12-29-2010 | 05:37 PM
gtrb
Road Warrior

Went through the same thing last year. Finally went with the PCV. Can't go wrong with either one. Like djl said go with what the tuner likes.

Old 12-29-2010 | 06:17 PM
1sweetglide08
Outstanding HDF Member

Like others have said go with what your tuner perfers...I had a PC V and was happy..then went with TTS Mastertuner....happier. Also one less piece of equipment under the seat.

Old 12-29-2010 | 06:36 PM
roadkinglobo
Supporter
Supporter

Having had both on bikes that I currently own; IMHO I would not go with what the tuner likes necessarily. I had a SERT put on after the 103 BB kit was put on the SG and it ran like ****. Took to a "reputable" HD store that had a supposed wizkid tuner (twice) and had it dynoed.....still ran like ****. Several weeks later took the bike to another well-know MN HD dealer and had their wizkid dyno the bike and it ran a little better but still not great. End of the summer had a PC5 installed by a tuner from Dynojet and he did a dyno. It never ran as good and I could have saved myself a shitload of money. Point being: unless the tuner realllllly knows his ****; then a SERT is a waste of time and $$$.

Old 12-29-2010 | 07:14 PM
RK14SGS
Road Warrior

DJ PC-V, SERT, SEPST, TTS... All are good products. Which is best- no real winner in my opinion because to me, it's only as good as the person doing the tune, and his/her working knowledge of the tuning device used. Sure each system has pro's and cons, but I am not sure there is a clear winner because I don't know of anyone who has bought ALL the various tuning systems, installed them on the same bike one at a time, and then did tunes to determine which system gave them the "best" tune in the end. That may not be the best way to look at it, but to call one system better than the other is very subjective. Better how?- cost, number of parameters, range of adjustability per parameter, etc. A dyno tune done by a professional who knows the dyno fundamentals, the bike's true needs, and the tuning device's capabilities is all that matters in the end. A Dyno jet person is most likely best with a PC-V. A H-D tech is most likely best with a SERT or SEPST. A TTS guy is probably best with a TTS unit. Ask each person his/her opinion, and there will be various favorites... The only thing I can recommend is to do research on all the systems, know your end goal, and then try to make the best decision for yourself... Good luck

Old 12-29-2010 | 07:33 PM
MrHd1
Tourer

Lots of variables here. PC vs. SERT is sorta like Ford vs. Chevy. I have had the SERT on 2 bikes and have been very happy. Had a V&H Fuel Pak and it seemed to do okay. My tuner is a great guy to work with and we communicate well. If you aren't going to a guy that has a sniffer you are probably wasting your time. Guessing on AFRs doesn't cut it. Just my 2cents.

Quick Reply: PC5 vs. SERT