Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Taking the plunge?

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2010, 05:50 AM
slughill
Road Captain
Received 369 Likes on 185 Posts
Default Taking the plunge?

I don't do alot of posting but alot of reading. You guys have helped me make a desicion. I'm going to sell my 05 Heritage and order a 2011 Ultra Classic. I love my Heritage (my first bike), got it all done up. Tour pak , big bore kit, and hundreds of other little things to turn it into a touring bike and it's great but still not an Ultra. Little concerned with the height( I'm 5'6") and really don't want to screw with the suspension so I'll start with the seat, maybe a reduced reach? Won't get the bike until April, so got time to worry about it. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Old 12-29-2010, 07:22 AM
WolfDog
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You will really like the change over to the Electra Glide from the Softail.
I hated to let my Heritage go simply because to me it the most classic looking bike in Harleys line up, mine was full of do-dads also added over the couple of years it resided in the garage but after 1-road trip on the mew limited it became noting more than a memory.
Food for thought, look at the limited's befor eyou buy, the Ultra Classic's are nice do not get me wrong, but the limited's have some extra features the classic's dont have, also if their is anything on your softail that will transfer to the new bike take it off before trade, you will not get all that much more for your trade with with all the accessories, so take off what you want.
Enjoy the search, and post up when you have the new ride at home..... Good Luck.

Old 12-29-2010, 07:24 AM
ncdan
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

My so is your hight and would love to have be able to ride my electric glide however is on his tip toes. I dont think you will be able to sit the bike flat footed and knees bent slightly, so the bike can be pushed while on board, by changing the seat only. In my opinion you will have to lower the bike to handle it. This can be done and still have a good ride, Check with your dealer or some guys on this fourm has did the job before. Good luck.

Old 12-29-2010, 08:44 AM
smat45
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

back when i bought my sg (street glide), i was kind of in the same situation you are. i'm 5-9 and could not flat foot on an ultra...sat on a sg and smiled. check it out? you could add the tour-pak and some lower fairings...? it worked for me...just a thought...?

smat

Old 12-29-2010, 08:52 AM
lkr0
Elite HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Get the Ultra

1. street glide shocks from EBAY $100 (or less
one inch lower
2. seat modified by mean city cycles $100 (or less
one inch lower
3. riding your Ultra cross state/country (priceless

If you are set on an ULTRA do not be swayed by anything else

Originally Posted by slughill
I don't do alot of posting but alot of reading. You guys have helped me make a desicion. I'm going to sell my 05 Heritage and order a 2011 Ultra Classic. I love my Heritage (my first bike), got it all done up. Tour pak , big bore kit, and hundreds of other little things to turn it into a touring bike and it's great but still not an Ultra. Little concerned with the height( I'm 5'6") and really don't want to screw with the suspension so I'll start with the seat, maybe a reduced reach? Won't get the bike until April, so got time to worry about it. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Old 12-29-2010, 09:48 AM
gtrb
Road Warrior
Received 160 Likes on 114 Posts

Wolf Dog is right on. We had an Ultra and really liked it. Now we're getting the Limited. Can't wait to get it. We rented a Heritage and couldn't wait to get back on the Ultra.
Always like the style of the Heritage.

Old 12-29-2010, 10:36 AM
soulpony
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had the same problem, really wanted the ultra just could'nt get flat footed with my 5' 8" height, tried the FLHX and never looked back.

Old 12-29-2010, 10:56 AM
roadgliderick
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

see if your dealer has the fit shop u can see what seat or bars will work for u.

Old 12-29-2010, 11:17 AM
Navy UC Rider
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Get what you want, I am 5'8", I just flat foot my 2010 Ultra with very slight bent knees. I LOVE the bike and ride. When I return to the states this summer, I will have a Sundowner from Mean City Cycles waiting on me to give me the extra couple of inches.

Cale

Old 12-29-2010, 11:28 AM
69z28
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The first thing your going to want to do is change the seat anyway,so try a Sundowner.It sits lower than the stock seat.

Quick Reply: Taking the plunge?