Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuel Pak Question

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2010, 08:17 PM
PDDGM
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Angry Fuel Pak Question

I bought a Fuel Pak from a person, his ad said it was a 61003A and that is was california exempt. I got it and it is a 61003G which is the california exempt set up. Now my question is, since I can't return it, it is possible to reprogram it so I can use it in Missouri. I am not sure what the california exempt setup would do for me, or if I can change it enough to make it work.
If not guess I will have one for sale.

Joe

Old 12-28-2010, 09:08 PM
Mike
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by PDDGM
I bought a Fuel Pak from a person, his ad said it was a 61003A and that is was california exempt. I got it and it is a 61003G which is the california exempt set up. Now my question is, since I can't return it, it is possible to reprogram it so I can use it in Missouri. I am not sure what the california exempt setup would do for me, or if I can change it enough to make it work.

Joe
If it was the California smog version, it would be a fuel pak ex. Not sure of the model numbers.

I think the difference is that the California versions severely limit the areas that the fuelpak will modify. Not what you want.

Why can't you return it to the person who sold it to you? You might also be able to return it to V&H for a software update, for a fee. They might be able to delete the California restrictions since you're living in Missouri.

Last edited by Mike; 12-28-2010 at 09:15 PM.
Old 12-28-2010, 09:14 PM
rscott
Road Captain
Received 36 Likes on 26 Posts
Question

does'nt exempt mean free from which in my mind would mean designed for the other 49 states not cal. I'm not sure what ex means but doubt it means exempt

Last edited by rscott; 12-28-2010 at 09:21 PM.
Old 12-28-2010, 11:27 PM
Mike
Ultimate HDF Member

from the fuelpak website:

Q. What is an “EX” model?

A. The EX designation refers to our G models special to California. See the paragraph on G models.

Back to questions.

Q. What is the difference between the “G” model and the standard models?

A. The G model Fuelpaks (ie. 61001G) are specific to the state of California. They have special software which locks out fuel tuning in areas controlled by emissions testing. This limited tuning allows the Fuelpak to remain in compliance with Ca ARB regulations and is the only version legal in the state of California on public roads.

Old 12-29-2010, 12:08 AM
PDDGM
Road Master

I did contact the company I bought it from on ebay, and hopefully they will let me return it and get my purchase price back. I also sent fuel pak a email, requesting info on the tuner to see if it could be reprogramed. Hopefully I will just send it back and chalk it up to lesson learned and I need to really read the descriptions better. Thanks to all for the info.

Joe

Old 12-29-2010, 02:01 AM
Garcou
Club Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If it's for your bike and it's NOT the California model, why would you return it? Sounds to me it's the one you want, not the EPA choked down version.

Old 12-29-2010, 08:14 AM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,371 Likes on 2,543 Posts

Originally Posted by PDDGM

Joe
not sure why you say in another post that you need to read descriptions better.... here you plainly say that it was advertised as a A model, not a G model...... if that's the case, then the company on ebay has an obligation to refund your money, their product sold was not as advertised. if they don't want to help you out, go through paypal (you did pay via paypal?). they will most likely get your money back for you.

Old 12-29-2010, 08:17 AM
Mike
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by Garcou
If it's for your bike and it's NOT the California model, why would you return it? Sounds to me it's the one you want, not the EPA choked down version.
I think the first post was a little confusing. He got the "G" model, which is the California compliant model. The sellers ad had apparantly indicated otherwise.

Old 12-29-2010, 09:54 AM
PDDGM
Road Master

Again, thanks for the input. I went back and read the description, it does say its the 03G. So either I didn't read it correctly or it was changed later. I am waiting on an email from the seller, it says they will do returns if contacted in 72 hrs. The 03G is strictly for Calif. bikes, at least that is the way I read it. Again thanks..

Joe

Old 12-29-2010, 11:35 AM
PDDGM
Road Master

All's well that ends well. The seller finally agreed to take it back. I pointed out that the ad was a little misleading and that they should have said it was for bikes manufactured for sale in California. Of course a PayPal dispute wasn't what they wanted either. Thanks for all that commented.

Joe

Quick Reply: Fuel Pak Question