Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New engine, when??

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2010, 11:47 AM
cromagnon
Grand HDF Member
Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by Viggen
this goes back to my comment about people with attitudes

Never been a fan of the vrods, a few people I know have them & they do nothing for me.
That post was before my second post ... well you know how I feel about Gold Wings ... lol

Old 12-30-2010, 11:47 AM
Damascus
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by skater69
If Yamaha can stick an 1854cc air cooled big v-twin in their Stratoliner, it's seems ridiculous that you have to pay $35K+ or sink $$ into a 20K+ bike to get to not even that level in most cases.

If people didn't think or care about their HD were lacking power, they wouldn't be spending $$$ on upgrading their bikes to get more power out of them.
You've got some good points here, but I kinda respect Harley for not getting dragged into the one oneupmanship game of ever more powerful motors when they don't have to.

This reminds me of the Japanese sport bike manufacturers who every year now it seems are trying to outdo each other with just one more unit of hp or torque on bikes that are insanely fast to start with. It just seems nuts after a while.

I'd take a bigger motor from Harley if they start putting them in their stock bikes, but frankly, Harley's aren't built for speed, they don't have the aerodynamics which is a far bigger factor in going fast than the motor, and for these reasons, I personally am pretty happy with my 103.

Old 12-30-2010, 12:07 PM
farns
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I hope it takes a LONG time for liquid cooling to come to the fleet. I know it's is only a matter of time, but I personally love the push rod, air cooled twin just fine.

As far as power goes, my stage 1 Dyna is enough 90% of the time.

Sure, I would like to see more power sometimes, but if I have learned a few rules over the years that simplifies my life:
1. Someone always has a bigger pecker
2. Someone is always tougher
3. Someone is always richer
4. Someone is always faster.....

I think if the air cooled, pushrod motor went away, the essence that is Harley-Davidson would be lost...

WHEN they do finally have to do it, I would like them to keep the same layout and push water up the pushrod tubes, around a the heads etc - keep the fins, keep the look and put the radiator in as invisible a spot as possible. OR push the water around what look like oil lines from the Knucklead era.. Yeah, that would be better - reintroduce the Knuckle look...

Old 12-30-2010, 03:27 PM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by Viggen
Was their dyno wheel or crank power from that link? I always thought I read they developed more then that... pretty impressivs doing a wheelie on one of those..... I would say looks & image, even with all the screaming eagle stuff these aren't powerful engine's. I do not like a loud exh which seems to be the only option when you want to increase HP so mine remains stock.
It was a chassis dyno so that is HP & TQ at the rear wheel. Yep they can do a wheelie, but so can my 1,200 pound trike which just took a cam change and some tuning. You can make decent power and not have a overly loud exhaust. My 06 Ultra with 95" Head Quarters touring build and Supertrapp Supermeg has made 104hp 100ft/lb torque, yet it is pretty quiet due to the closed end cap.

Last edited by msocko3; 12-30-2010 at 03:29 PM.
Old 12-30-2010, 05:33 PM
skater69
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Damascus
You've got some good points here, but I kinda respect Harley for not getting dragged into the one oneupmanship game of ever more powerful motors when they don't have to.

This reminds me of the Japanese sport bike manufacturers who every year now it seems are trying to outdo each other with just one more unit of hp or torque on bikes that are insanely fast to start with. It just seems nuts after a while.

I'd take a bigger motor from Harley if they start putting them in their stock bikes, but frankly, Harley's aren't built for speed, they don't have the aerodynamics which is a far bigger factor in going fast than the motor, and for these reasons, I personally am pretty happy with my 103.
I'm not talking about one upping or anything thing like that or turning a bagger to speed demon. I'm just talking physics. Harley has an engine that they should be putting stock in their touring bikes which is the 110 so it makes GOOD horsepower. And I think the vast majority of HD owners would approve. 100 hp STOCK in an 850lb Electra Glide Classic is the right amount of engine and power as opposed to 70hp which is underwhelming.....cruiser or not.

Would folks still be trying to get more power out of it? Of course but I think most would be pretty happy with a 110 stock. I know I would.

Old 12-30-2010, 05:52 PM
Faast Ed
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I think if the air cooled, pushrod motor went away, the essence that is Harley-Davidson would be lost...
I personally would be one of their lost customers. I'd be forced to buy used air cooled until death.

I'm not talking about one upping or anything thing like that or turning a bagger to speed demon. I'm just talking physics. Harley has an engine that they should be putting stock in their touring bikes which is the 110 so it makes GOOD horsepower. And I think the vast majority of HD owners would approve. 100 hp STOCK in an 850lb Electra Glide Classic is the right amount of engine and power as opposed to 70hp which is underwhelming.....cruiser or not.

Would folks still be trying to get more power out of it? Of course but I think most would be pretty happy with a 110 stock. I know I would.

Upselling performance parts.

They lose some sales of performance upgrade parts (big part of their market).