Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New engine, when??

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2010, 09:06 PM
Willy G.
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Rumor has it by 2015 epa will outlaw any manufacturing of air cooled motors.

Old 12-28-2010, 09:11 PM
smithbrl
Road Warrior
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Some Harley owners build their engine for lots more power and that's fine. I don't know the numbers, but I think the majority of Harley owners either leave them stock or do a stage 1 with louder slip ons.

Harley touring bikes are obviously not built to compete with crotch rockets. They are mostly used for touring/cruising, where all that power is really not necessary. Mine is plenty powerful with stage 1. I'll stick with the air cooled engine, thank you very much.

A person could put one of those goldwing motors on a Harley touring bike. That would give them the power they like and they could be cool, too, riding a Harley. Otherwise ride the water cooled brand and not be so cool, but they'd have their power.

My

Old 12-28-2010, 09:29 PM
t. sawyer
Road Warrior
Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts

I don't get it . you buy it ,you know what it is, then you bitch about it cause it ain't what you want. ???????????
kroozeabout. I like mine just the way it is.

Old 12-28-2010, 09:49 PM
Allen Dye
Cruiser

Originally Posted by smithbrl
Some Harley owners build their engine for lots more power and that's fine. I don't know the numbers, but I think the majority of Harley owners either leave them stock or do a stage 1 with louder slip ons.

Harley touring bikes are obviously not built to compete with crotch rockets. They are mostly used for touring/cruising, where all that power is really not necessary. Mine is plenty powerful with stage 1. I'll stick with the air cooled engine, thank you very much.

A person could put one of those goldwing motors on a Harley touring bike. That would give them the power they like and they could be cool, too, riding a Harley. Otherwise ride the water cooled brand and not be so cool, but they'd have their power.

My
Goldwings are not crotch rockets, they are used for touring/crusing. I would love to have power of my Wing in my Limited, not for going fast but for touring in the mountains, my favorite place. A Wing has the low end power to pull up hill at 1500 rpm (95 lbs.ft. at 1500 rpm at the rear wheel) with authority, loaded to the gills. If my wife and I ride the Limited from Ashville down the BRP to Cherokee with nothing in the bags or tourpak, I have to constantly shift between third and fifth. It we are on the Wing loaded with everything you can get in the trunk and bags on the same stretch of the BRP, I stay in high gear all the way. I love my Limited, figure I'll have it the rest of my days, but it Harley came out with a new Ultra, watercooled so that my butt and right let would stay cool and with th low end torque of a GL1800, I would be first in line. I've talked to quite a few other Harley riders, some long time Harley riders, with the same opinionl.

Old 12-28-2010, 09:54 PM
kenfm2000
Cruiser

Originally Posted by smithbrl

My
I may be misinterpreting your post, but to me and most people I know it takes more than just the brand of bike one rides to be cool. There are actually some cool people that don't ride a Harley. Some people that consider themselves cool are not cool at all. I have my Harley because I love to ride it.

Now as for the original post I do like the air cooled v twin. I would probably be hesitant to get a water cooled version, but if that is all they make in the future I would have to at least test ride one to see what it has to offer. If they never switch to water cooled I would be happy with that.

Old 12-28-2010, 10:26 PM
emwolb
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

okay you say you want a water cooled v twin, right? imagine a v-rod motor in a touring harley, ultra classic if you must. those goofy things rev about 5k rpm's doing 65 mph, and they're very tough to work on. i know all the techs where i deal with, they hate working on the v-rod motors. i enjoy having a real air cooled v-twin. when the v-rod powered touring models come out, just imagine how many people will be begging for a real v-twin harley engine rather than the high horsepower-no torque motor. i'm still surprised that they've not come out with overhead cams for our current air cooled harleys, but they sell all they can build, so they're doing something right. the tractor torque is the heart of our harleys.

Old 12-28-2010, 10:55 PM
Allen Dye
Cruiser

Tractor troque? Some of you guys need to ride a few other bikes. Thats the single biggist problem I have with my Limited, no low end torque. But, it is what it is, and I love it for other things it does well and I can live with no bottom end, just keep shifting them gears.

Old 12-28-2010, 10:57 PM
peddler
Club Member
Received 72 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by slyder
HD actually built a liquid cooled touring bike back in the early 80s (?). It was a V4 designed by Porsche I believe......... There was only a couple prototypes built and then they scrapped the project. Too bad cause it was a really cool looking bike.
The motorcycle you referred to was the Nova project that was canned when the "gang of 13" took the company private. It was designed, like the Vrod, by Porsche. "The Nova project was to be a smaller displacement family of high tech water cooled engines in V-Twin, V4 and V6 configurations. The cylinder sizes of either 200cc or 250cc gave engine size options ranging from a 400cc V-Twin to a 1500cc V6, and lots of interchangeable parts. The heads were 2 valve overhead cam with the potential for 4 valves at a later time."

Interesting article about the Nova project. http://www.bikerenews.com/AntiqueBikes/CodeNameNova.htm
In addition to the current product line there could have been a product line including a watercooled 400cc V-Twin and a 1500cc V6.

Maybe the Nova project will be resurrected for the next generation.

Who knows.

Old 12-29-2010, 01:24 AM
gtrb
Road Warrior
Received 160 Likes on 114 Posts

You don't know what you got til it's gone

Old 12-29-2010, 05:42 AM
sparky1
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Go get a VTX or a Vulcan,than you'll have what you're lookin for.

Quick Reply: New engine, when??