Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New engine, when??

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2010, 05:45 PM
pilgrim08
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Love my air cooled Harley Davidson Road King. Just sayin'.

Old 12-28-2010, 06:12 PM
honestbob
Elite HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

A water-cooled motorcycle is just a two wheeled car.

Old 12-28-2010, 06:55 PM
onaride63
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by pilgrim08
Love my air cooled Harley Davidson Road King. Just sayin'.

+ 1. If it gets to hot it gives you a reason to go faster so you can push more air through those fins

Old 12-28-2010, 06:57 PM
Energy-Dude
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Harley will do it when they have to financial, not a minute sooner. Volkswagan finally had to quit selling the Air Cooled Beatle here because they could not make it pass EPA standards and still run and make money.

Old 12-28-2010, 07:18 PM
papifun
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

2013..vrod motor in all touring bikes...!!.. i had the dream !

Old 12-28-2010, 07:48 PM
peddler
Club Member
Received 72 Likes on 55 Posts

Harley will stay with the current air cooled v twin until they are convinced they have a viable replacement or until the EPA regs force them to change. A "viable replacement" refers to a motor that won't negatively impact sales/profits.

Harley has marketed themselves into a corner. They have built their brand around the legend of the vtwin. Not just any vtwin but a 45 degree, air cooled vtwin; a motor configuration that may not pass the test of time/EPA. Will it be a Harley if it doesn't have a 45 degree, air cooled, v twin? Will bikers buy a Harley without a 45 degree, air cooled vtwin? We'll see.

Old 12-28-2010, 08:01 PM
slyder
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

HD actually built a liquid cooled touring bike back in the early 80s (?). It was a V4 designed by Porsche I believe. I remember seeing it on a TV show when they were walking through the museum. There was only a couple prototypes built and then they scrapped the project. Too bad cause it was a really cool looking bike.

Old 12-28-2010, 08:05 PM
river rat
Cruiser

It would be nice to at least have the option of a water cooled Touring bike

Old 12-28-2010, 08:13 PM
Ronp42
Account Retired
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by river rat
It would be nice to at least have the option of a water cooled Touring bike
Who knows what Harley will do. They built the Fugly. Maybe next is a water cooled Fugly...lol

Old 12-28-2010, 08:22 PM
Viggen
Intermediate

I meant goldwing power (as in 120+ HP & 120+ tq) not a boring v6 that's bigger then many car engine's.

I do not see the big deal with going to water cooled. Make it more reliable, run cooler, allow a lot more power to be made etc. It would have to remain veetwin, several vtwin motors pumping out serious power. I do not think radiators make a bike any less reliable considering it allows the engine to stay in a more controlled temp range.

This reminds me of when HD went to Fuel Injection...... man the HD owners were pissed.... not a real harley..... then they added cat's.... again going to kill the sound etc not a real HD.

But for me every improvement they have made over the 14yrs I have owned a street bike has been huge & made my touring experiences much much better with the newer bike vs the older ones. I would think that a company like HD with the clientel they have made for themself would not release a new engine w/o meeting as many of the old criteria as they can with sound probably being the #1 priority.

At least for me when I am riding downtown to work or doing one of my many parades every year I can't go any faster thus it's HOT. That being said my Buell just gets really hot in another area...... it's a hot calf or hot thigh depending on what I ride

Quick Reply: New engine, when??