Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Touring rear suspension Vs Softail suspension question

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2010, 09:31 PM
IsaacL
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Touring rear suspension Vs Softail suspension question

Happy new year to you all.

I currently ride a softail but have a lower back injury and feel jarred over most bumps in the road..... I have tried several different preload settings on the shocks but no major improvement. I weigh 155lbs and ride solo 99% of time.

My only question is the '09 and later touring models rear shock set-up better? Does it give a smoother, plusher, softer whatever you want to call it ride?? Would the difference in suspension (if there is any) be worth trading bikes for??

Old 12-26-2010, 09:48 PM
FDHOG
Stellar HDF Member
Received 240 Likes on 124 Posts

You're talking to the right person here. I have major lower back problems. Used to have a 2002 Fatboy. I even installed Shotgun Shocks (air), no help. Almost gave up riding. In Sept I traded in on a Road King. The ride is night and day. No more teeth jarring bumps. I ride 2 up alot and weigh 250 and there are no problems.
I'll never ride a Softail again. The Road King is the nicest riding bike I've ever ridden, and I've been riding for 38 yrs.

Old 12-26-2010, 10:26 PM
Cme2c
Tourer

I have ridden a Heritage Springer Softail for 10 years &bought a new StreetGlide this fall. The SG rode worse than my old springer until I put a set of electraglide 13" shocks on it. Now it rides better than any bike I've ever owned. Just make sure you have standard length (13") shocks and not the 12" lowering shocks like comes on the StreetGlide (& Roadglide Custom I believe).

Old 12-27-2010, 12:42 AM
txfxstrider
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 86 Likes on 55 Posts

I also have a bad lower back and I found the best solution for me was a back rest that forced me to sit erect and no longer slouch. If I am erect bumps do not bother me but if I do not have the back rest set vertical or am riding without the back rest then it does not matter if I am on a Softail, Road King, Ultra or Sportster, it hurts, and the hurt lasts. Try an adjustable back rest before you spend the money on a new bike.

Old 12-27-2010, 12:46 AM
emwolb
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

i have an 08 streetglide and the stock rear shocks suck. they're an inch shorter than the ultra, standard, and classic electraglides, so i installed a set of electraglide shocks, full length on my streetglide. it's now actually comfortable to ride, rather than when it had the stock streetglide shocks which would jarr me every time i hit a bump or dip.

Old 12-27-2010, 01:06 AM
byersmtrco
Supporter
Received 513 Likes on 357 Posts

I currently have a 2000 Heritage.
It's been lowered and put back to stock. I even tried Progv 422's.
For heavier people or 2-up, I'm sure they're great. I'm 175-180, so for me even on the lightest setting the 422's were rough. I'm all stock now.

I've had the opportunity to ride (almost) every model, either demo, or friends rides. Three times in the last 2 years (3 TIMES !!) I had set time aside (2 rentals, 1 demo) for the RoadGlide. Twice it rained (POURED)and once had to go out of town (family) so I havn''t had the chance to put any distance on one (maybe a good thing?) but susp wise all the "Glides" are the same or similar. Someone elses statement about the SG 12" shocks is true. They ride like a buggy. You will gain no better ride (if as good) than a Softail going that route.
I've ridden 2 StreetGlides (07 & an 09), an 06 RoadKing Classic, an 05 Roadking Classic, an 09 Ultra and an 06 Ultra (in the last few yrs). Truthfully, the best ride (overall) was the 06 Ultra. I did 165 mi (aprox) that day averaging 70-80 mph, but some turns ramps and a little intown and not over some of Calif's finest roads. That bike was sweet !! No tail waggin the dog, just lack of power being a (BOX STOCK) 88". It even (at that time) had the stock height windshield. Didn't care for that thing!! From what I've read (on here) going with the 09 up frame with the pre 09 shocks sounds like a good combo.

For the little riding I do right now, with an 8 yr old and Cubscouts and . . .
I'm fine with my (paid 4) Heritage. My "close" Gunfighter seat and Chubby 513's on 527 risors has turned out to be a WAY better combo than I thought it would be. I have the big Mustang Wide Vintage w/the backrest for when I travel, but I'm just not in a posn to lose my a** selling this one right now. But on the other hand, there are TONS of sweet deals on touring models for sale (other people losing THEIR a**es).

Main pt being, if you have back trouble and you ride (often) get a Touring model (w/pre 09 13" shocks!!!) and the driver backrest, and it will be as good as it gets. If you pref the classic "look", consider the Roadking. Fine looking machine w/classic looks that does it all.

Old 12-27-2010, 10:15 AM
Bushrider
Tourer
Default Night and fricken' day

Bit of a no-brainer stepping up from an 1988 FXSTC to a 2010 FLHTK. I don't know what year/model softie you are riding but if it is anything like my old beater, no wonder your back is complaining.

You specifically asked about the '09 and later touring bikes; I have heard that they are a bit stiffer than the pre-09's. The frame upgrade included a stabilizer link to eliminate the "bagger wobble".

As stated above, the rider's backrest helps a lot. It's a must-have for me.

Old 12-27-2010, 07:32 PM
IsaacL
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Bushrider
Bit of a no-brainer stepping up from an 1988 FXSTC to a 2010 FLHTK. I don't know what year/model softie you are riding but if it is anything like my old beater, no wonder your back is complaining.

You specifically asked about the '09 and later touring bikes; I have heard that they are a bit stiffer than the pre-09's. The frame upgrade included a stabilizer link to eliminate the "bagger wobble".

As stated above, the rider's backrest helps a lot. It's a must-have for me.
Thats really interesting that the '09 later touring bikes ride a bit stiffer than the pre-'09s. That might work against me if I'm thinking of trading for a new touring bike....

Old 12-27-2010, 07:34 PM
IsaacL
Cruiser

Originally Posted by byersmtrco
I currently have a 2000 Heritage.
It's been lowered and put back to stock. I even tried Progv 422's.
For heavier people or 2-up, I'm sure they're great. I'm 175-180, so for me even on the lightest setting the 422's were rough. I'm all stock now.

I've had the opportunity to ride (almost) every model, either demo, or friends rides. Three times in the last 2 years (3 TIMES !!) I had set time aside (2 rentals, 1 demo) for the RoadGlide. Twice it rained (POURED)and once had to go out of town (family) so I havn''t had the chance to put any distance on one (maybe a good thing?) but susp wise all the "Glides" are the same or similar. Someone elses statement about the SG 12" shocks is true. They ride like a buggy. You will gain no better ride (if as good) than a Softail going that route.
I've ridden 2 StreetGlides (07 & an 09), an 06 RoadKing Classic, an 05 Roadking Classic, an 09 Ultra and an 06 Ultra (in the last few yrs). Truthfully, the best ride (overall) was the 06 Ultra. I did 165 mi (aprox) that day averaging 70-80 mph, but some turns ramps and a little intown and not over some of Calif's finest roads. That bike was sweet !! No tail waggin the dog, just lack of power being a (BOX STOCK) 88". It even (at that time) had the stock height windshield. Didn't care for that thing!! From what I've read (on here) going with the 09 up frame with the pre 09 shocks sounds like a good combo.

For the little riding I do right now, with an 8 yr old and Cubscouts and . . .
I'm fine with my (paid 4) Heritage. My "close" Gunfighter seat and Chubby 513's on 527 risors has turned out to be a WAY better combo than I thought it would be. I have the big Mustang Wide Vintage w/the backrest for when I travel, but I'm just not in a posn to lose my a** selling this one right now. But on the other hand, there are TONS of sweet deals on touring models for sale (other people losing THEIR a**es).

Main pt being, if you have back trouble and you ride (often) get a Touring model (w/pre 09 13" shocks!!!) and the driver backrest, and it will be as good as it gets. If you pref the classic "look", consider the Roadking. Fine looking machine w/classic looks that does it all.
So is it the actual shocks or the changes in the frame that makes the ride a little stiffer on the '09 and later tourers?

Old 01-02-2011, 01:03 AM
byersmtrco
Supporter
Received 513 Likes on 357 Posts

No, the frame itself hasn't affected the stiffness of the ride.
The new shocks are stiffer (WAAAAY!!!)

In fact since I posted this, I met someone the other day with a 2010 Ultra. He bought a set of pre-08 shocks off ebay, installed them and said "World of difference".
Nice smooth ride.

Quick Reply: Touring rear suspension Vs Softail suspension question