Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

110" CVO vs. 103" build ?

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2010, 03:23 PM
troop
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 49 Likes on 44 Posts
Default 110" CVO vs. 103" build ?

As it gets closer to my build time in a few weeks, I'm getting kind of anxious to see how it will run come spring here in WI. I've ridden a few stock 110" CVO's on decent demos and know how they run. I know they have 255's in them but don't they also have large chambered heads to keep the compression down? Just wondering how my planned build would compare? It's going to be a 103" flat top/54H cam/.030 top end, some head work done, primarily concentrating on valve work (1.9 and 1.6), intake bowl clean up, CC equalization, squish grooves and a custom tune when broken in. Thanks for input for those in the know..

Last edited by troop; 12-25-2010 at 03:34 PM.
Old 12-25-2010, 04:05 PM
arealinvestor
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by troop
As it gets closer to my build time in a few weeks, I'm getting kind of anxious to see how it will run come spring here in WI. I've ridden a few stock 110" CVO's on decent demos and know how they run. I know they have 255's in them but don't they also have large chambered heads to keep the compression down? Just wondering how my planned build would compare? It's going to be a 103" flat top/54H cam/.030 top end, some head work done, primarily concentrating on valve work (1.9 and 1.6), intake bowl clean up, CC equalization, squish grooves and a custom tune when broken in. Thanks for input for those in the know..
What kind of compression are you going to run with the 54H??What exhaust are you going to run?? What tuning device are you going to use?? Whose building motor? Indy or Dealership??

Old 12-25-2010, 04:10 PM
troop
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by arealinvestor
What kind of compression are you going to run with the 54H??What exhaust are you going to run?? What tuning device are you going to use?? Whose building motor? Indy or Dealership??
10.15:1, Stock head pipes with Jackpot slip-ons, SEPST and local H-D dealership

Old 12-25-2010, 04:48 PM
arealinvestor
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by troop
10.15:1, Stock head pipes with Jackpot slip-ons, SEPST and local H-D dealership
You might want to consider a better exhaust to help the build.Is the dealership fluent with the SEST??I don't know if i would let them tune it!! I would call Doc at HDMD Tuning Center to see if he has trained anyone in your area on the SEST.He might tell you to go with TTS Mastertuner!!! Before you get bike tuned call him!!! You have nothing to loose;His advice might help you get a more competent tuner!!! Ask me how i know???

Old 12-25-2010, 09:08 PM
troop
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by arealinvestor
You might want to consider a better exhaust to help the build.Is the dealership fluent with the SEST??I don't know if i would let them tune it!! I would call Doc at HDMD Tuning Center to see if he has trained anyone in your area on the SEST.He might tell you to go with TTS Mastertuner!!! Before you get bike tuned call him!!! You have nothing to loose;His advice might help you get a more competent tuner!!! Ask me how i know???
The SEPST is a very capable tuning device and will do all (and more) than I need for my street bike. I'm very aware of the tuners in my area and could also ride 100 miles north to Fuel Moto but I have a lot of confidence in the tuner at the dealership. The exhaust could be better but it certainly flows better than the stock exhaust on the bike I'm asking a comparison about. Thanks for your input ....
Can anyone guide me to a 110" CVO dyno chart?

Last edited by troop; 12-25-2010 at 09:15 PM.
Old 12-25-2010, 09:15 PM
pargenz
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'd seriously consider replacing the head pipe if I was doing that work.

Old 12-25-2010, 09:25 PM
troop
Outstanding HDF Member

Used the search and got some info I was looking for....

Old 12-26-2010, 03:43 AM
emwolb
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

hey troop, the difference between the 103 and 110 which was important to me was that the cases have to be bored in order to accept the 110 cylinders. there's quite a bit of material removed during the boring process, leaving the cases a bit thin in the cylinder base area. there are a lot of 110's running around, but the added cost of splitting the cases to accomplish the 110 caused me to go with the 103 instead. there are a lot of 106's and 107's also, they've become quite popular lately and they don't require the machining or opening up the bottom end of the motor cases either. consider the 106 or 107 if you feel the 103 wouldn't be enough. we're splitting hairs here though, as a few cubic inches, 103 vs 106/107, not a big deal. i know i'm very happy with my 103.

Old 12-26-2010, 07:31 AM
troop
Outstanding HDF Member

I am very happy to be able to go to my 103" project. In some bodies opinion, theirs always a weak link in any bodies project whether it be CID,cams, exhaust, head work, etc. My question was really simply meant to ask how does a 103" build (with cams/compression/etc) compare to a stock 110" CVO, key word being stock? My H-D riding experience has been stock 96", 103", 110" CVO and my buddy's wild 133". I have never ridden a built 103/106/107 build to compare or feel the difference. I'm thinking I need 103" build owners who've ridden a stock 110" CVO to chime in...

Last edited by troop; 12-26-2010 at 09:56 AM.
Old 12-26-2010, 08:25 AM
Varooom
Road Captain
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

I did a 103 build on my 08 Road Glide last winter. I have just over 6000 miles on the 103 now.
I went with SE forged flat top pistons, Wood TW6-6 cams, Head work and cylinders bored by Big Boyz Head Porting, cc'd the heads and have a 10.2-1 compression ratio with manual compression releases. Running Bassani RoadRage 2 into 1, and SE heavy breather. Had it tuned at my local dealer with a SERT. I put it together myself.
It makes 102 hp, and 110 torque. It runs great, gets better milage then it did as a 96 (if riding easy) and halls butt pretty good.
A riding buddy has a 2010 "convertable" softale 110 CVO bike. He has a V&H 2 into 2 exhaust, V&H fuel management, but not dyno tuned.
I can walk him pretty easy (I still have stock 08 gearing) from a deadstop, a roll on, or top end.
I am sure that with a SERT, and proper tune he would run better, but I think he still wont keep up.
I think those stock 110s need more compression and different cams.

Although I love CVO bikes, I certanly do not fear them.

Hope that helps,
Doug

Quick Reply: 110" CVO vs. 103" build ?