Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

110" CVO vs. 103" build ?

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2010, 09:59 AM
troop
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 49 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Varooom
I did a 103 build on my 08 Road Glide last winter. I have just over 6000 miles on the 103 now.
I went with SE forged flat top pistons, Wood TW6-6 cams, Head work and cylinders bored by Big Boyz Head Porting, cc'd the heads and have a 10.2-1 compression ratio with manual compression releases. Running Bassani RoadRage 2 into 1, and SE heavy breather. Had it tuned at my local dealer with a SERT. I put it together myself.
It makes 102 hp, and 110 torque. It runs great, gets better milage then it did as a 96 (if riding easy) and halls butt pretty good.
A riding buddy has a 2010 "convertable" softale 110 CVO bike. He has a V&H 2 into 2 exhaust, V&H fuel management, but not dyno tuned.
I can walk him pretty easy (I still have stock 08 gearing) from a deadstop, a roll on, or top end.
I am sure that with a SERT, and proper tune he would run better, but I think he still wont keep up.
I think those stock 110s need more compression and different cams.

Although I love CVO bikes, I certanly do not fear them.

Hope that helps,
Doug
It does. The only way I can put it into perspective from experience was a back/back ride on stock 96"/110" CVO at a demo ride. Thanks Doug

Old 12-26-2010, 10:21 AM
07FLHT
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by troop
As it gets closer to my build time in a few weeks, I'm getting kind of anxious to see how it will run come spring here in WI. I've ridden a few stock 110" CVO's on decent demos and know how they run. I know they have 255's in them but don't they also have large chambered heads to keep the compression down? Just wondering how my planned build would compare? It's going to be a 103" flat top/54H cam/.030 top end, some head work done, primarily concentrating on valve work (1.9 and 1.6), intake bowl clean up, CC equalization, squish grooves and a custom tune when broken in. Thanks for input for those in the know..
Just did this same build on my '07. SE forged 103" flat tops, Andrews 54H cams, heads by Bean @ Big Boyz (ported, CC'd, decked to get 10.2:1 comp.& manual CR's) SE A/C, Rinehart TD's & PC-V w/auto tune base map by Jamie @ Fuel Moto. Only about 70 miles so far (been pouring rain here) but, feels real strong, especially as it starts to reach 4,000 RPM! In a few hundred miles I'll take in for a dyno tune.

Old 12-26-2010, 11:02 AM
troop
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 49 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by 07FLHT
Just did this same build on my '07. SE forged 103" flat tops, Andrews 54H cams, heads by Bean @ Big Boyz (ported, CC'd, decked to get 10.2:1 comp.& manual CR's) SE A/C, Rinehart TD's & PC-V w/auto tune base map by Jamie @ Fuel Moto. Only about 70 miles so far (been pouring rain here) but, feels real strong, especially as it starts to reach 4,000 RPM! In a few hundred miles I'll take in for a dyno tune.
Thanks.. Looking forward to seeing the results.

Old 12-26-2010, 11:11 AM
stogieluvr60
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My 2cents. I own a 2009 FLHTCU, 103" stage II w/ se-255's,flat top pistons etc....
Ness Big sucker, V&H Power Duals and Stainless Ride 4" mufflers w/ 1 3/4" baffles. & a ProTuner. Valves were lapped and ports cleaned up. Install and tune done by Chuck Clay in Shelby OH. (Great guy, Chuck, highly recommended!)Pretty mild build by all standards. I had 7200 mi. on it at the time of the build, enough to be able to have a firm perspective as to the difference between the 2 motors. I rode it pretty easy for the first 200 miles or so and then started getting into it a little harder after that. It's not been out much passed 4500 rpm and the torque is amazing. I left a light on flat ground in Mansfield OH pretty hard, shifted into second at about 4300 rpm and lifted the front wheel off the ground. Not a wheely but off the ground none the less. How freakin' fun is that? This all may seem tame by some peoples standards but having owned a 76 84" shovel, a 92 80" evo and a 01 95" twin cam stage II this is by far the strongest ride to date. In the spring I am going to do a dyno run to see where I am but by the seat of the pants this thing has all the ***** I need. Best of luck with your build and I hope the end result is all you hoped for and more!

Old 12-27-2010, 10:12 AM
fuelmoto
Platinum Sponsor
Received 4,161 Likes on 1,354 Posts

As it gets closer to my build time in a few weeks, I'm getting kind of anxious to see how it will run come spring here in WI. I've ridden a few stock 110" CVO's on decent demos and know how they run. I know they have 255's in them but don't they also have large chambered heads to keep the compression down? Just wondering how my planned build would compare? It's going to be a 103" flat top/54H cam/.030 top end, some head work done, primarily concentrating on valve work (1.9 and 1.6), intake bowl clean up, CC equalization, squish grooves and a custom tune when broken in. Thanks for input for those in the know..
There are several 110" dyno charts at http://jackpotmufflers.com/dynotuned.htm

10.15:1, Stock head pipes with Jackpot slip-ons, SEPST and local H-D dealership
Nothing wrong with using the stock 09 non catalyst head pipe and Jackpot mufflers with your build. This will actually work very well.

Jamie Long / Fuel Moto USA
The USA's Leader V-Twin EFI & Performance www.fuelmotousa.com
Contact 920-423-3309
Email jamie@fuelmotousa.com

Old 12-27-2010, 10:48 AM
DynoTuning
Stage III
Default 103 build

Sounds like you're on the right track.. cams are your most important choice with this type of build... If you're looking for power all the way through the range and an excellent HP number on the dyno you should look into some Dave Mackie 575L's They will make what you have described seem supernatural!!!

Old 12-27-2010, 04:51 PM
ShortBus453
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know that my 103" in my RG will run a CVO 110" (stock). There is a lot that can be done to the 103, just like you can do to a 95. There is a lot that the throttle body will allow and also a lot of difference that can be made from the heads. And like a lot of others have stated, your exhaust will play a big role in the way that the power is made.

Old 12-27-2010, 06:01 PM
Mike
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts

My question was really simply meant to ask how does a 103" build (with cams/compression/etc) compare to a stock 110" CVO, key word being stock?
It depends. There are so many ways to build a 103, and the performance is all over the map. You could build a stage II 103 that still wouldn't keep up with a well tuned stock CVO 110, or build a monster 103 that would crush it.

The handful of guys I know that have CVO bikes don't leave them any more stock than the rest of us guys that have non-CVO bikes. Lots of these guys realize the performance gains to be had just by swapping in a better set of cams.

Old 12-27-2010, 06:16 PM
AZSN8S
Cruiser

Good luck with your build troop. I hope you're as pleased with your's as I am mine. Your planned set up resembles what I have except for 570 cams and the Head work. That's where the biggest difference occured - HEAD WORK. You might want to check with Skip Grove, Winchester VA, about his Stage II Silver Bullett Heads. Very reasonably priced - I couldn't be happier and hope what ever you go with does the same for you. It's worth the effort - THERE IS A DIFFERENCE!

Old 12-27-2010, 06:55 PM
emwolb
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

i'm using harleys kit, part#27544-10 in my 08 streetglide. it includes the 10.5 to 1 compression ratio pistons, 249-E cams which have .579" lift, the heavier clutch spring, sepst, and it's a great kit. it's designed to develop a lot of torque throughout the rev range where we use our motors, it's for the new trikes, but it sure makes a two wheeler haul ***. i'm also using the screamin eagle compensator, vance & hines 2 into 1 pro pipe, zippers deep air cleaner element, and manual compression releases which are necessary when riding in hot weather and the air is heavy with humidity. the dyno tuning is what really brought this combination to life. i know it'll suck the headlight out of a stock cvo 110. the aforementioned kit is really worth a look. there are a lot of options available for building a bigger motor, but i'm really happy i chose the setup i have.

Quick Reply: 110" CVO vs. 103" build ?