Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

are turn-down mufflers inherantly louder than if were straight?

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2010, 10:35 PM
jacknthebox
Road Captain
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default are turn-down mufflers inherantly louder than if were straight?

In my continued research for new mufflers for louder sound and good HD exhaust note (if removing baffle wrapping from my v&h basic slip-ons doesn't satisfy me), I came across samson silver bullet turndown mufflers and was wondering if because they are turned to the road if that makes them louder than if they were straight?

Old 12-24-2010, 11:52 PM
nomad billy
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Depend's on the muffler but usually turning them down quietes them.

Old 12-24-2010, 11:52 PM
txfxstrider
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 86 Likes on 55 Posts

To me they seem to sound louder if you are on a solid surface. On a dirt road they just kick up more dust.

If you have ever started up your bike while backed up close to a brick or concrete wall you will know what I mean.

Old 12-25-2010, 07:53 AM
Dandy1
Supporter
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree with Txfsrider, My friend had turn downs on his Ultra and it seemed to give it more of a popping sound going down the highway. I hated to follow his across any gravel lots, he made a big dust cloud!

Old 12-25-2010, 08:33 AM
jacknthebox
Road Captain
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by txfxstrider
To me they seem to sound louder if you are on a solid surface. On a dirt road they just kick up more dust.

If you have ever started up your bike while backed up close to a brick or concrete wall you will know what I mean.
Originally Posted by Dandy1950
I agree with Txfsrider, My friend had turn downs on his Ultra and it seemed to give it more of a popping sound going down the highway. I hated to follow his across any gravel lots, he made a big dust cloud!
didn't think about kicking up dust - don't want that - ruled out, thanks.

Old 12-25-2010, 09:24 AM
CLYDE60
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

kicks up not only dust .I have a buddy that when ever he sees fresh cut grass on the shoulder he heads for it to try and give me a grass shower...It's all fun games untill

Old 12-25-2010, 01:04 PM
dog155
Extreme HDF Member
Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

Yes they are louder aimed towards the asphalt.Years ago a friend and I both had Stroked 93" Shovelheads with identical exhausts his turnouts were aimed at the road mine out to the side.His sounded much more serious.

Old 12-25-2010, 07:31 PM
NoCoLoco
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've often wondered which is louder, slash up or slash down? I know with slash down there is reverb but slash up is a more direct sound.

Old 12-25-2010, 08:17 PM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 397 Likes on 339 Posts

look at it this way.

with turn downs the sound waves are directed at the road, some of them will bounce directly at the rider

with pipes turned to the side the rider gets alot of reflected sound when riding near a barrier, these are REALLY good for letting you know a car is sneaking up to your side, the sound reflects off of the car and right back at you.

pipes pointing back, the sound goes to the rear and keeps going....rider only hears if there are reflective surfaces for the sound waves to bounce off of

I HATE riding behind a guy with loud pipes- from the perspective directly behind the pipes, the sound is often tinny and annoying (that's why Ricky always has to ride at the back)---with turn downs that is taken care of.

slash up/down makes slight difference

sound waves at high frequencies are VERY directional, low frequencies are very omnidirectional. you'll notice that you need the tweeters aimed at your head, whereas bass speakers, subwoofers can be pointed almost anywhere.

mike