Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Flash2Pass garage door opener questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2010, 07:47 AM
mastery
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Flash2Pass garage door opener questions

Doing a bunch of work under the fairing and to my front lights this winter, and figured I'd go ahead and install a garage door opener as well since I hate pulling into the driveway and having to hop off the bike. I came across the Flash2Pass on Amazon while looking around for a solution that wasn't as costly as the HD opener.

For those of you that have the Flash2Pass, do you like it? My main question is the range. I live in a subdivision, so my garage door is perpendicular to the street at a slight offset angle from the direction I'm coming, and I really don't have a good line of sight to it until I'm about 2 houses away. Does the range of the F2P seem to be as good as a traditional opener?

Did you mount your F2P opener in the headlamp housing, or did you just strap it to something under your fairing?

Looks like a pretty easy install. I'd probably mount the receiver up on the ceiling next to the opener components and tap the lines there, since it doesn't need line of sight to work.

Anything I need to be aware of regarding the F2P system before I pull the trigger and order one? Thanks!

Old 12-24-2010, 08:19 AM
bellgnte
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I put one on my bike. I got it from Eastern Performance. The range is about 100ft. My transmitter is in side my headlight bucket which probably reduces the range. However, it is plenty far enough for the door to open before I get to it. I think it is a great product.

Old 12-24-2010, 09:25 AM
FlamedFXR
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,690 Likes on 705 Posts

Ive got one on the fxr and the range isnt all that good....2 houses away or so. On the Road Glide I just used the other remote for the opener, wired the push button circuit to a small push button on the fairing cap and velcro'ed it up under the fairing. Works great, better range and the batteries in those last forever anyway. Do a search, many good installs with details on here.

Old 12-24-2010, 09:37 AM
dlrshort
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine is mounted according to directions and is inside the front fairing velcrowed to the top of the radio. Works fine at about 100 ft. Very easy install.

Old 12-24-2010, 09:39 AM
badknees
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the Flash2pass and it works great. I have it in the HL bucket no problems at all.

Old 12-24-2010, 10:49 AM
IzzoQuazzo
Retired Admin

Received 9,041 Likes on 3,711 Posts

Ditto. Love mine. Easy install.

Old 12-24-2010, 11:00 AM
Nute
Road Master
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I have the Flash to Pass on my Ultra Classic. I mounted all the electrical components in the fairing. Works great and was very easy to install. I don't know why you'd mount the receiver on the ceiling. The Receiver should be mounted by the man door where you walk into and out of your garage. It has a switch in it so you can open the garage door when you enter to go for a ride and close the door behind you when you park the bike after you return from a ride.

Old 12-24-2010, 11:00 AM
Udawg
HDF Community Team
Received 151 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by IzzoQuazzo
Ditto. Love mine. Easy install.
Wow! You guys give me hope again. I have one and it only works inside the garage. If I close my garage door and sit right outside, it won't work. I talked to F2P and they said they had found a bad batch and sent me a new one and it still doesn't work outside the garage. Maybe I'll check my installation. I may not be as brilliant as I thought.

Old 12-24-2010, 11:43 AM
White Ice
Stellar HDF Member
Received 421 Likes on 191 Posts

Have a look in the DIY thread. Lots of ways to use an existing garage door remote opener, a Radio Shack pushbutton, and a soldering gun, that will save you $60 over the F2P.

Old 12-24-2010, 11:55 AM
mastery
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Nute
I don't know why you'd mount the receiver on the ceiling. The Receiver should be mounted by the man door where you walk into and out of your garage. It has a switch in it so you can open the garage door when you enter to go for a ride and close the door behind you when you park the bike after you return from a ride.
I've got the standard switch next to the door going inside from the garage. Not taking it out to replace with the F2P switch, because I don't see a button on the F2P to control my garage door light. Besides, my current switch, next to the door, is kind of hidden behind a large cabinet filled with stuff. If this relies on radio frequency, that "barrier" makes it harder to get a signal to the unit. Putting it up high in the middle of the garage ceiling, I only have one exterior wall as any kind of barrier, and should help with the range.

Figured I'd figure out a way to tap into the lines from the opener before they go through the ceiling.

Quick Reply: Flash2Pass garage door opener questions