Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LED Bulb Help

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2010, 07:51 PM
Old Bones
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default LED Bulb Help

I bought these LED bulbs for tail light and brake lights. Because of the way they are shaped I can not push them in the socket far enough to turn and lock them. Is there another brand that works in Harley directionals.

Old 12-23-2010, 08:03 PM
rerb95
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

there are several different styles and brands, there are several members on here that have a ton of knowledge on LEDS, look up the Shrink on this forum, he has a lot of LED knowledge! I think one brand name is custom dynamics.... I'm sure there are a lot of others!

Old 12-23-2010, 09:01 PM
tidbit1
Road Warrior
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by Old Bones
I bought these LED bulbs for tail light and brake lights. Because of the way they are shaped I can not push them in the socket far enough to turn and lock them. Is there another brand that works in Harley directionals.

Look up badlandsmotorcycleproducts.com lots of LED help.

Ride safe

Old 12-23-2010, 09:22 PM
JohnnyC
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I actually ran into a similar situation when I swapped out my brake-light bulbs. In my case I was real close to making it work. My issue was that when I put the lens on and tightened it down, it would short the hot center conductor in the socket to the metal ground of the bullet designed cases. I was able to use a pair of needle nose pliers and pull the entire socket forward to where they work. I also put a small patch of electrical tape on the tip to prevent shorting.

Attached Thumbnails LED Bulb Help-tailights-reduced.jpg  
Old 12-23-2010, 11:01 PM
Old Bones
Road Master

Originally Posted by rerb95
there are several different styles and brands, there are several members on here that have a ton of knowledge on LEDS, look up the Shrink on this forum, he has a lot of LED knowledge! I think one brand name is custom dynamics.... I'm sure there are a lot of others!

Thanks, I went to custom dynamics along with other sites and this note keeps popping up.

"- Note: Not for use for Replacement on HD Turn Signal Housings"

Old 12-24-2010, 09:56 PM
captainjack
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Old Bones

may also be because they are 1157 and not 1156, 1157 have offset pins and will not fit 1156 sockets the rear lights are usually 1156 with the pins opposite one another just my

Old 12-24-2010, 10:17 PM
Mr Cujo
Road Master

Originally Posted by captainjack
may also be because they are 1157 and not 1156, 1157 have offset pins and will not fit 1156 sockets the rear lights are usually 1156 with the pins opposite one another just my
Beat me to it...

Generally --
1157 - Dual element bulb for brake/turn signal applications
1156 - Single element bulb for turn signal applications

This bulb should work in the brake light socket of your bike (Brake/run) - but not likely in the turn signal housing.

Last edited by Mr Cujo; 12-24-2010 at 10:20 PM.
Old 12-25-2010, 08:09 PM
Old Bones
Road Master

2011 RG uses 1157 with the two contacts for running lights and brake lights, single contact (1156) is for running lights only. The plastic on the LED bulb comes in contact with the inside of the housing before it is all the way in the socket. I guess no one has installed LED bulbs in HD directionals.

Old 12-25-2010, 09:12 PM
pargenz
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Lots of folks are running LEDs. Perhaps the particular ones you've got won't fit your sockets, but that's not the case with all LEDs.
Check out Custom Dynamics or Walters Workshop - compare theirs to yours and you may see the difference.

Old 01-14-2011, 05:35 PM
fabrik8r
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

It's a Harley, of course those LED bulbs wont work. Just run standard Harley bulbs. I dont have a problem with my Harley bulbs, I like my Harley bulbs just the way Harley made 'em.

Quick Reply: LED Bulb Help