Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What year if any do Canadian model headers not have a cat in them?

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2010, 10:27 PM
Mixter
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default What year if any do Canadian model headers not have a cat in them?

I know the 09's do but what about the 08's?

Old 12-23-2010, 01:20 PM
davewear
Road Warrior
Received 197 Likes on 135 Posts

started in '09

Old 12-23-2010, 01:58 PM
badjustbad
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mixter
I know the 09's do but what about the 08's?
Actually, I don't think the '09s had cats. '10s and '11s only. I was going to purchase some dealer take-offs so I had the dealer check for the catless version and they came up with a set off an '09. May not be true for all versions (e.g., CVOs, Dynas, etc.) but the pipes they offered me were definately '09s.

BTW they wanted 1/2 of the new price for the take-offs. Or translated to cash - approximately $600 CDN. I can think of a better place for the dealer to mount their $600 take-offs (Hint - The sun doesn't shine there.).

Old 12-23-2010, 03:06 PM
2009blackpearle
Road Master
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
Default not in my 2009

my 2009 doesnt have cat in it. the 103 kit I ordered does have cat in the header. that thing sure wont be going on my Bike though. I believe the california model does have cat in it for 09.

I have been told the 2010 and 2011 come with cat not matter where you live

Old 12-23-2010, 03:17 PM
roadkinglobo
Supporter
Received 76 Likes on 57 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by badjustbad
Actually, I don't think the '09s had cats. '10s and '11s only. I was going to purchase some dealer take-offs so I had the dealer check for the catless version and they came up with a set off an '09. May not be true for all versions (e.g., CVOs, Dynas, etc.) but the pipes they offered me were definately '09s.

BTW they wanted 1/2 of the new price for the take-offs. Or translated to cash - approximately $600 CDN. I can think of a better place for the dealer to mount their $600 take-offs (Hint - The sun doesn't shine there.).
I think you're absolutely correct on that one. I ended up putting my non-Cat head pipe back on after the dealer did the 103 kit on my 09 SG and installed a headpipe with cat.

Old 12-23-2010, 03:49 PM
dansflhti
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 50 Likes on 34 Posts

So that's 2 yes and 3 no,I guess I won't know for sure until I get my MRs in mid January.

Old 12-23-2010, 04:23 PM
davewear
Road Warrior

from the '09 manual......

CATALYTIC CONVERTER: TOURING MODELS
Touring motorcycles manufactured for international and California markets have a catalytic converter in the exhaust pipe collector

and they have been in every model since then. i suppose it's possible that a non international non california headpipe got put on a bike that was destined for catalytic converter land but somewhat unlikely....

Last edited by davewear; 12-23-2010 at 04:31 PM.
Old 12-23-2010, 04:59 PM
badjustbad
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The easy way to visually tell if a pipe has cats or not is to look at the O2 sensor location. If the sensor is close to the heads - no cats! Cat head pipes required the O2 sensor to be located after the cat which is located where the pipes join on touring models.

BTW the H-D "international" designation isn't conclusive. Our lighting requirements (Signals, brakes, headlights, etc.) in Canada are the same as the U.S. so we are not considered "International". Where lighting is concerned, European countries (for example) are International - they need different lighting.

Old 12-23-2010, 05:48 PM
davewear
Road Warrior

The easy way to visually tell if a pipe has cats or not is to look at the O2 sensor location. If the sensor is close to the heads - no cats! Cat head pipes required the O2 sensor to be located after the cat which is located where the pipes join on touring models.

BTW the H-D "international" designation isn't conclusive. Our lighting requirements (Signals, brakes, headlights, etc.) in Canada are the same as the U.S. so we are not considered "International". Where lighting is concerned, European countries (for example) are International - they need different lighting.
well that is interesting...... all the info i've seen and what my tuner said, indicates there are cats in my headpipe and in all Canadian touring models since '09.

my 02 sensors are up near the heads, soooo, hmmmmm......

Last edited by davewear; 12-23-2010 at 05:52 PM.
Old 12-23-2010, 05:56 PM
dansflhti
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 50 Likes on 34 Posts

I'm not so sure about the lighting requirements being the same as the US.I've heard that if we bring in a used SG without the tail-light,we gotta put one on before we can put it on the road.

Quick Reply: What year if any do Canadian model headers not have a cat in them?