Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What year if any do Canadian model headers not have a cat in them?

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2010, 08:39 PM
davewear
Road Warrior
Received 197 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by badjustbad
The easy way to visually tell if a pipe has cats or not is to look at the O2 sensor location. If the sensor is close to the heads - no cats! Cat head pipes required the O2 sensor to be located after the cat which is located where the pipes join on touring models.

BTW the H-D "international" designation isn't conclusive. Our lighting requirements (Signals, brakes, headlights, etc.) in Canada are the same as the U.S. so we are not considered "International". Where lighting is concerned, European countries (for example) are International - they need different lighting.

I just had a member PM me who has an '09 California bike that he had put Fullsac headers on. He confirmed there was a cat in the stock collector and that the 02 sensors were up by the head.

where did your info come from?

Last edited by davewear; 12-23-2010 at 09:15 PM.
Old 12-23-2010, 10:56 PM
Bushrider
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I'm willing to bet a cup of Timmy's

That only the '09 CVO's and Cali models had cats. Everything else got them in '10.

My dealer also tried to sell me an '09 takeoff. It had the different o2 sensor location but I can't say if that had anything to do with whether or not the pipe had a cat.

Anyway, I took a pass and simply dug the cat out of my stock '10 pipe.

Oh and back to the OP's question: I'm also willing to bet a dozen Timbits that none of the '08's had cats.

Last edited by Bushrider; 12-23-2010 at 11:00 PM.
Old 12-23-2010, 11:01 PM
davewear
Road Warrior

It appears all '09's had the 02 sensors up by the head whether they had a cat or not.

Old 12-24-2010, 03:31 AM
Mixter
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a buddy that has spare 08 headers off his roadglide as he went with true duals ....I'm thinking about throwing them on my 2010 streetglide. From what I gather these are good headers without a cat?

Old 12-24-2010, 03:33 AM
Watch Guy
Stellar HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default In Canada all 09 and up touring models came with cat's

. If the bike was an 09 and had no cat then it was a US import or had the header pipe changed out after purchase. The 02 sensor location has nothing to do with whether or not it has a cat.

Last edited by Watch Guy; 12-24-2010 at 03:34 AM. Reason: edit
Old 12-24-2010, 08:33 AM
Bushrider
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Watch Guy
. If the bike was an 09 and had no cat then it was a US import or had the header pipe changed out after purchase. The 02 sensor location has nothing to do with whether or not it has a cat.
OK, I guess I owe you one.

Back to the OP's original Q again: The '08 header probably doesn't have a cat. Forget about the o2 sensor location and look inside the pipe. Is it a 2-1-2? If so the cat will probably be in the collector and you'll be able to see it. If there's nothing that you can see, try running a piece of wire or hose through the pipes. You might want to remove the o2 sensors first to prevent damage. If the wire or hose goes in one end and comes out the other there is no cat.

Either way, you have your answer.

Last edited by Bushrider; 12-24-2010 at 08:36 AM.
Old 12-24-2010, 12:26 PM
badjustbad
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by davewear
I just had a member PM me who has an '09 California bike that he had put Fullsac headers on. He confirmed there was a cat in the stock collector and that the 02 sensors were up by the head.

where did your info come from?
I haven't a clue where the California cats were located in '09, or any other year, so the guy that PM'd you is probably correct.

The original question was regarding cats on CANADIAN bikes. My information about CANADIAN bikes came from the dealer and my observations. American or even California bikes with different configurations may very well have made it into Canada - I know nothing about them either.

Up to you, believe what you want. The three dealers I heard it from may be wrong and the '09 bikes (and their O2 sensorlocations) may have been unique in some way that I am unaware of.

Old 12-24-2010, 12:28 PM
davewear
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by badjustbad
I haven't a clue where the California cats were located in '09, or any other year, so the guy that PM'd you is probably correct.

The original question was regarding cats on CANADIAN bikes. My information about CANADIAN bikes came from the dealer and my observations. American or even California bikes with different configurations may very well have made it into Canada - I know nothing about them either.

Up to you, believe what you want. The three dealers I heard it from may be wrong and the '09 bikes (and their O2 sensorlocations) may have been unique in some way that I am unaware of.
guess i'll know for sure when my fuelmoto headpipe shows up and i can have a look inside my stock one....