Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2011 Catalytic Converters

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2011 | 07:41 PM
larry bart
Road Master

Correct me if I am wrong but didn't it used to be catalyst in muffler (heavy) and now we have catalytic converter in headpipe with muffler now lightweight

Old 08-30-2011 | 02:05 AM
Holster Maker
Tourer

Correct, since '03...most people didn't even know it was in there...
Harley went green and didn't tell us...at least out here!
The new mufflers are extremely light weigh, because not much in there, since the cats take away most the noise and HD wanted the sound.....

Old 08-30-2011 | 03:27 AM
ubreal
Road Master

hhhhh

Old 08-30-2011 | 05:57 AM
dohadex
Road Captain
Wink Dealer....wrong?

Originally Posted by Egldr05
They usually are. It's funny just how many ridiculous things I've read in the last few days that dealers have told customers. It's too bad only a small minority know enough to come here and get the facts.

Rick
I can't understand how the dealer can tell a customer that the Cats are in the muffler....and get away with it? I'm going to assume the guy was looking at several bikes...and was confused by all the other BS the dealer was telling him about the bikes.

So...has anyone heard that the TBW is "WiFi"?

Old 08-30-2011 | 12:38 PM
Deuuuce
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by Holster Maker
The new mufflers are extremely light weigh, because not much in there, since the cats take away most the noise and HD wanted the sound.....
Actually that's incorrect. Without mufflers it is extremely loud. Stock mufflers are very effective at reducing the noise.

Old 08-30-2011 | 01:36 PM
Holster Maker
Tourer

Yeah, I agree. I just mean the mufflers now just have enough in them due to the header cat. Which in turn makes a nice muffler for the gutless header.

Old 08-30-2011 | 03:31 PM
TUCCI
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by endress1
Did anyone ever decide where they are for sure?? I have an 07 Electra Glide Ultra Classic, and I have started hearing a rattle when I am at idle. I have reason to believe it is coming from under my left leg area. Seem like its in the 6" section of left headpipe (rear cylinder), or at the bend to go down/back, to the mufflers. It goes away when I give it the slightest throttle. I wouldnt think the cat is on the left, but I dont know for sure. Can someone give me some advice on if its the cat, or what ? If and when I do find it, I would like to remove it. My bike is super hot,and unbearable. Its 97-100 here with tons of humidity. Its hard to stand, even at 70+mph.... Id appreciate the help !! Thanks
It won't be the cat that's making the noise as its epoxied in there really well. I would check the nuts holding the header against the heads, when I took my header off to carve out the cat the nuts were hand tightened and if yours are loose they can be vibrating against the heat shield, they keep the nuts from falling out (that's handy).

Old 08-30-2011 | 03:36 PM
TUCCI
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by Holster Maker
Correct, since '03...most people didn't even know it was in there...
Harley went green and didn't tell us...at least out here!
They are, in fact when I put mine back on after I cut the cat out I stuck a flashlight in the pipe to determine the density of the baffle and I could see light from the back end. The hightened sound confirmed there wasn't a lot of baffling in there and the cat did much of the sound deadening. The heat was noticably less which if you do the removal yourself you will also conclude the cat is also the majority of your heat trap (wow its thick!)

Old 08-30-2011 | 04:10 PM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member

I don't like the statement that the cat's are in the head pipes as that is misleading. The actual head pipes terminate into a collector and there is no cat in either head pipe. Past the collector the tube with the cat is welded into the collector. Simple to cut a port into it and gut the cat. The only thing in the head pipes are the O2 sensors. That tube makes a nice expansion chamber when there is no cat in it. That may or may not have to do with the little deeper sound out of the stock mufflers. Or it is all in my head.

The Dyna's and Softails with cats in the muffler are easy to spot. The mufflers will have heat shields that they never had or needed before.

Last edited by lh4x4; 08-30-2011 at 04:13 PM.
Old 08-31-2011 | 01:41 AM
Holster Maker
Tourer

Originally Posted by TUCCI
They are, in fact when I put mine back on after I cut the cat out I stuck a flashlight in the pipe to determine the density of the baffle and I could see light from the back end. The hightened sound confirmed there wasn't a lot of baffling in there and the cat did much of the sound deadening. The heat was noticably less which if you do the removal yourself you will also conclude the cat is also the majority of your heat trap (wow its thick!)

Yeah, when I took the muffler off I thought, wow..very lite wt..reminded me of a lite weight race muffler..LOL
I love the way mine sounds, esp w/SE-ac.....reminds me of those old 440 Dodges taking in air w/nice old mufflers.

Quick Reply: 2011 Catalytic Converters