Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2011 Catalytic Converters

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2010 | 10:25 PM
NoCoLoco
Road Warrior

To the best of my knowledge, pre 2010 California and International models were the only ones with a CAT and they were in the mufflers. Now ALL 2010 and 2011's have a CAT in the merge collector of the head pipes.

Old 12-23-2010 | 11:40 PM
sifularson
Elite HDF Member

Found this in another section of the forum.

CAT REMOVAL

Old 12-23-2010 | 11:41 PM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by sifularson
So does that mean the CAT was in your muffler?

That damn CAT keeps moving! LOL

My stock mufflers were very light since the CAT is in the header pipe.
no, the cat was definitely not in the muffler, it was (emphasis on was) in the collector......

just commenting on your remark that the stock mufflers were light and cheap.... i don't know why they would change that much from 2010 to 2011, they look the same, other than 1 vs 2

Old 01-17-2011 | 08:47 PM
WIKD1
Cruiser

Could you just punch out the honeycomb without cutting the pipe open?

Old 01-17-2011 | 10:01 PM
Port Dawg
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by WIKD1
Could you just punch out the honeycomb without cutting the pipe open?

Not really....you have to be able to remove it all so you don't risk any of that stuff being ingested...there are a few threads recently talking about this subject...all good, informative reads

Old 04-12-2011 | 11:28 PM
ge6280
Stage III

Has anyone else seen the video or article documenting the removal of the Cat on a 2011 model Harley. They showed making alignment marks on the chamber portion below the head pipes, then cutting the chamber in half and removing the CAT. Then it was weld back together again. With the pipes reinstalled and the chrome heat shields reinstalled you could not detect the CAT had been removed.

Old 04-13-2011 | 01:21 PM
Solitario
Tourer

here in europe we have a lot of experiencie with cats because our bikes have then since 2006.

06, 07 and 08 bikes has the cat in the muffler, they used to be heavy muflers because of the cat and all the bullshit inside to quiet the bike. 09 and later touring bikes has the cat in the headpipe, righ in the 2-1-2 seccion. our mufflers still heavy because of the laberinth inside to quiet the bike. aur bikes are much quieter than epa levels, thats th f...ing euro 4 rule.

now with american 2011 bikes i think they are removing all the laberinth inside the mufler because the cat itself it is enought to meet epa requeriments. that is why 2011 sound a bit better than 10s

now im looking for some european 2008 stock mufflers with a cat inside because we need to pass smoke and security test every 2 years and 08 mufflers will do the trick and i wont have to remove header without cat I installed.

just and advice... if you want to know whats next in restriction and epa and grass-eaters rules take a look sometime to hd europe website or forums... we suffer those rules and worst allways a couple of years before you.

Old 08-29-2011 | 03:10 PM
endress1
Intermediate
Default cat location

Originally Posted by sifularson
So does that mean the CAT was in your muffler?

That damn CAT keeps moving! LOL

My stock mufflers were very light since the CAT is in the header pipe.
Did anyone ever decide where they are for sure?? I have an 07 Electra Glide Ultra Classic, and I have started hearing a rattle when I am at idle. I have reason to believe it is coming from under my left leg area. Seem like its in the 6" section of left headpipe (rear cylinder), or at the bend to go down/back, to the mufflers. It goes away when I give it the slightest throttle. I wouldnt think the cat is on the left, but I dont know for sure. Can someone give me some advice on if its the cat, or what ? If and when I do find it, I would like to remove it. My bike is super hot,and unbearable. Its 97-100 here with tons of humidity. Its hard to stand, even at 70+mph.... Id appreciate the help !! Thanks

Old 08-29-2011 | 03:37 PM
KCFLHRC
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by endress1
Did anyone ever decide where they are for sure?? I have an 07 Electra Glide Ultra Classic, and I have started hearing a rattle when I am at idle. I have reason to believe it is coming from under my left leg area. Seem like its in the 6" section of left headpipe (rear cylinder), or at the bend to go down/back, to the mufflers. It goes away when I give it the slightest throttle. I wouldnt think the cat is on the left, but I dont know for sure. Can someone give me some advice on if its the cat, or what ? If and when I do find it, I would like to remove it. My bike is super hot,and unbearable. Its 97-100 here with tons of humidity. Its hard to stand, even at 70+mph.... Id appreciate the help !! Thanks
Unless you have a California bike your 07 doesn't have a CAT. I can definitely tell you that on the 10 and 11 bikes it is there for all 50 states and it's in the head pipe.

Old 08-29-2011 | 06:37 PM
Deuuuce
Elite HDF Member

The newer touring for sure have the cat in the header, down low, near the O2 sensors.

I found the V&H Monster rounds quite heavy.

BUT - the stock header with cats is EXTREMELY loud without a muffler. The stock mufflers are very restrictive.

Instead of going through the headache of removing the cat yourself from the stock header, just buy a Fullsac or go with a place that does it for you, professionally.

Quick Reply: 2011 Catalytic Converters