Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Maybe Someone Can Explain This To Me, I Don't Get It...

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2010, 04:44 AM
VTGlideRider
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Maybe Someone Can Explain This To Me, I Don't Get It...

We all know and appreciate that there are online dealerships that will sell us our parts and accessories at a discount, often 20%. I'd be crazy not to look at them when shopping. I would, however, like to give the business to my local dealership where I bought my bike and get my service, but certainly not at the expense of my wallet!

Whenever its a semi-expensive order I will bring a printout of the shopping cart to my dealership and tell the parts guy I would rather give them the business and would gladly do so if they can come close to the price I'm getting from someone like a Zanottis or Surdyke. A couple of times they took 15% off, but most times they won't even come close. Seems like they would rather lose the sale than take the discount. While I in Long Island for work I was at the local dealership to get a t-shirt, and just out of curiosity I asked the parts guy there if they would match an online price. His answer was "we wont ever do that". When I asked why he said "when you have a problem or need to return a part you order online, where are you gonna go?".

This attitude just doesn't make sense to me. I'm sure that even if they took 20% off there is still a ton of profit for them, but they would rather lose the sale than take the discount. I have a great relationship with my dealer, get my biker serviced there, and will bring him the stuff I buy to install if its beyond my skill level to do, but they, and the vast majority of dealers it seems, won't do what a handfull of online dealerships will do every day. I just don't get it.

Old 12-22-2010, 05:04 AM
mitchdm
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Agreed!

I have the same issue here ~ To take it a step further I have owned 29 HD's and when I purchased my 10 LTD a buddy of mine bought one a month later ~ He drove 400 miles to buy his bike here. Initially they were giving me the 20% off and then they tossed it out the window after the purchase of $50k worth of Limited's and $4k worth of parts at the same time the bikes were purchased. I have even gone so far as to scold them on the HD survey for not having a Customer Service Rep call me back after I had made the time & effort to contact them about the issue. I was really pissed then they did not have the nuts to call me back & say this is our policy and you can take a hike ~ No I did not even receive the up yours call. I have been happy with the initial price & dependability of the 10 ~ I have 27k on the clock and nothin more than a minor front mastercylinder leak ~ but I was disappointed that I cannot purchase accessories here Oh Well ~ The guys running the place must have MBA's and be much brighter than you & I....

Old 12-22-2010, 05:17 AM
gs34doc
Big Kahuna HDF Member

Received 895 Likes on 633 Posts

What are you trying to do...ruin their business plan???
If they gave everybody 20% off just for asking, they wouldn't be able to hold their "twice a year 20% off sale"!!!
That would force them to come up with some entirely new sales ideas...and we certainly wouldn't want that to happen.

Old 12-22-2010, 05:38 AM
ripper43
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

First off I am not braggin, but I have spent over $200,000.00 in the last 6 years at my dealer of choice (great guys) and I get most times 10% to 15% off and that is about it. Throw in an odd 20% off on a mens night or the like and I am happy. My point is, I don't think it matters how much you spend, they have to keep the doors open and if they were to give every Tom, Dick and Harry 20% off it would be much harder to do.

And no I am not rich...

Old 12-22-2010, 05:42 AM
Chuck1
Road Warrior
Received 89 Likes on 67 Posts

It's simple. They don't want everyone coming in the door with papers of bettter prices, that they have to read, validate and verify. Not to mention, there are less buisness costs to order online than going to a parts counter and dealing with a person. There is a thread going right now with big problems with online dealer not communicating with backorders and not shipping. There is cost and value with both sides of the business, online or at the business.

Last edited by Chuck1; 12-22-2010 at 05:45 AM.
Old 12-22-2010, 05:49 AM
kyote
Road Master
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I go to Suburban Motors in Thiensville... They give EVERYONE who buys parts 10% off.. You don't even have to ask..they just do it. I have never tried to pricematch an online price with them so I am not sure they would do it..maybe somebody else has done it. My point is,,,,,,they give 10% everyday and that's why I go back to them for all my parts and anything else I need..

Old 12-22-2010, 05:54 AM
djaudette
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I find that once you pay for shipping you are not saving much, if anything at all. Support the local guy. I do get 10% off for being Military.

Old 12-22-2010, 06:07 AM
Notgrownup
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,165 Likes on 3,675 Posts

Originally Posted by djaudette
I find that once you pay for shipping you are not saving much, if anything at all. Support the local guy. I do get 10% off for being Military.
...Son....you can buy me something then...I like to give the local guy business but when it's $369.00 locally and $312.00 from a HD online the only way i can justify buying locally is if they give me a discount...It's a toss sometimes...I buy a lot of used stuff....

Old 12-22-2010, 06:16 AM
BadPiggy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I disagree.
I think the key to a good business plan is VOLUME.
I'd much rather have 10% profit from $10 million in sales than 20% profit from $1 million in sales.
If you're offering better discounts, naturally, you're going to get more traffic.
Traffic creates sales.

Originally Posted by ripper43
My point is, I don't think it matters how much you spend, they have to keep the doors open and if they were to give every Tom, Dick and Harry 20% off it would be much harder to do.

Old 12-22-2010, 06:28 AM
NickD
Road Master
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

The dealer is counting on the fact you can't re-work a part to make it work. And face facts, almost nothing in the aftermarket custom parts world fits right without fiddling with it. If you can bend, drill, grind, and think like a mechanic, then go for the discount parts. If not then you'll have to pay to play!

Quick Reply: Maybe Someone Can Explain This To Me, I Don't Get It...