Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Maybe Someone Can Explain This To Me, I Don't Get It...

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2010, 05:09 PM
peddler
Club Member
Received 72 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by peddler
Question: If increasing your (dealer) parts business by discounting on the internet is such a slam dunk great idea, why are there less than a handful of dealers that do it?
Originally Posted by 07RoadHawg
I don't know why more don't do it. I buy quite a few big ticket items from LSHD because I can save quite a bit of money. Some of these items I wouldn't buy at all if not for the 20% discount. You say they take a 50% revenue loss (40% to 20%), but I say they just earned 20% profit from me on a sale that they wouldn't have made otherwise. $0 profit compared to 20% for having a website, slapping a part in a box, and having UPS pick it up at their door seems like a pretty good deal for them. Not to mention all the wasted time looking up part numbers (takes me a lot less time to find a gasket part number than it does them) and jawing with all the other hammerheads behind the counter.

I'm sure their internet sales is a very small component of their total sale, but for a person like me it would be a missed sale and a 100% revenue loss. FWIW
Based on 07RoadHawg's post I must have done a very bad job explaining my point of view. One more time just in the interest of clarity. The OP's original question was "why don't local dealers extend the same discount(20%) offered online. My response was "extending a 20% discount, even selectively, would force the dealer to double sales just to maintain the same number of profit dollars. Basic business math.

My question was "If increasing your (dealer) parts business by discounting on the internet is such a slam dunk great idea, why are there less than a handful of dealers that do it?" I understand incremental business philsophy. Yes some profit is better than none but that wasn't the OP's original question to which I was replying.

And to the statement
07RoadHawg's post "Some of these items I wouldn't buy at all if not for the 20% discount"
I would suggest that is a very very very very small part of any Harley dealer's business. Not going to buy new handlebars for a new $25,000 motorcycle because they are $200 not $160?? I believe the online discounters may determine which dealer supplies the parts but only marginally (if at all) increases the total volume of parts sold.

Happy Holidays

Old 12-22-2010, 05:17 PM
Chuck1
Road Warrior
Received 89 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by skratch
keep telling yourself that if it helps you sleep at night.

i just bought 4 items from zanotti's (fairing lowers, wind deflectors, compartment liners, and a shirt). total for msrp was $774.85. my 'local' gives 10% for military, so minus the discount, plus 8.5% sales tax, total comes to $756.64.

my total including shipping from zanotti's was $616.14. thats a difference of $150.50.

so if you feel that saving $150 is not 'saving much', then i can only conclude that you are in a different military than i was, cause that amount is 3/4 of my bi-weekly grocery budget.
Yeah but see, your math is wrong, it's only $140. Sorry

Old 12-22-2010, 05:21 PM
07RoadHawg
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 07RoadHawg
Some of these items I wouldn't buy at all if not for the 20% discount.
Originally Posted by peddler
I would suggest that is a very very very very small part of any Harley dealer's business. Not going to buy new handlebars for a new $25,000 motorcycle because they are $200 not $160?? I believe the online discounters may determine which dealer supplies the parts but only marginally (if at all) increases the total volume of parts sold.

Happy Holidays
I understand the OP's question, and he wasn't asking why his dealer didn't try to expand sales on the internet (to which you were posing the obviously rhetorical question). To clarify my statement...

No, $40 would not stop me from buying handlebars, but cables and brake lines that go along with a bar swap does add up and at the very least might make me wait a while and eventually decide not to do it.

Happy Holidays to you too.

Old 12-22-2010, 05:33 PM
jpooch00
Elite HDF Member
Received 267 Likes on 226 Posts

Personally I NEVER buy from a dealer unless there's just no other way. By buying out of state, I save 8.16% tax too.

The internet is a wonderful thing!

Old 12-22-2010, 05:37 PM
ROUNDMAN
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good points from both sides of the issue, and having purchased from both sides it is nice to have a human being to hand me the part I need and to be accountable in the event there is an issue with my purchase. Two days ago I was double charged for an online purchase and found myself pissed that no one would help me to get my money back, customer service reps kept pointing the finger at another party and only after three phone calls and a few emails did I finally get it resolved. I support my local dealer as much as possible but will definately look online for a deal or to compare prices before any major purchase.

Old 12-22-2010, 05:47 PM
All Aces
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I think you will find more than you think giving larger discounts, Most just give it to the people who will not be walking through thier door. Zanotti's is a big one on this forrum, when I walked into thier dealership they were not all that friendly and would not even give a HOG discount, but If you order on line and are out of state they go around 20%. You really need to do your homework because some of these guys make it up on shipping.

Old 12-22-2010, 06:25 PM
mastery
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Chuck1
Yeah but see, your math is wrong, it's only $140. Sorry
Well, if you are going to get nit-picky, your math is off too. It's $140.50

Old 12-22-2010, 07:02 PM
OnTheFence
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd rather just buy on the internet. Seems like everything I want isn't in stock anyway. Just as well to have it dropped off at my door.

It only takes one trip where you wait in line while morons go on and on about their bike, discuss every aspect of the part they are thinking about buying and on and on, to realize that babysitting has a fee.........

Old 12-22-2010, 07:07 PM
Faast Ed
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

When I spend over $150 for footpegs and the necessary mounts go go on my crashbar, get all the tools out and ready to install,..... then find that I have to drop my tools and drive all the way back to the dealership to buy the bolts that hook the pegs to the mounts ($12.95 for two lousy bolts, plus wasted my time chasing the ****),....... I suddenly need a reminder why people are looking for that "personal touch" from the dealership.
"Personal touch" would have been "Hey, you need some bolts with those,... not included".

And I am supposed to pay full price and "support my local dealership"? *** that.

You "support" guys have been brainwashed.
"I wanna support the sharks and pay full price cuz I am a supportive kind of guy".

Well, I ain't no jock strap. Them nuts can support themselves.

Old 12-22-2010, 08:25 PM
shredder22
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Zonotti's just makes it too convienent not to shop there with the discount they give if your buying HD products. You can do the math all day long and there is no way it's not to your advantage.....JMO

Quick Reply: Maybe Someone Can Explain This To Me, I Don't Get It...