Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Maybe Someone Can Explain This To Me, I Don't Get It...

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2010, 09:04 AM
badknees
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My dealer Z&M always gives me 10% off everything. During the year they have 15 and 20% of days. They do have a building and staff to maintain. Also I believe all harley products are Fair Trade Items meaning every dealer has to sell at the same price

Old 12-22-2010, 09:06 AM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,371 Likes on 2,543 Posts

Originally Posted by badknees
Also I believe all harley products are Fair Trade Items meaning every dealer has to sell at the same price
nope, look in the catalog. it says (on almost every page) Notice: the prices appearing in this catalog are the manufacturer's suggested retail prices. Actual retail prices may vary.

and it does. some give 20%+ off, some mark them up.....

Old 12-22-2010, 09:12 AM
hawg08
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by djaudette
I find that once you pay for shipping you are not saving much, if anything at all. Support the local guy. I do get 10% off for being Military.
I don't know what or where you've been buying but I've saved a ton of money!! The shipping is less than the sales tax would be on a list price order locally the majority of the time.

Old 12-22-2010, 09:22 AM
beary
Grand HDF Member
Received 283 Likes on 188 Posts

I think you guys are giving the dealership more credit than they deserve. I don't hink most dealerships think much about it. Mine certainly doesn't.

I often ask the folks who work in my dealership what forums they read just to keep up with customers general comments and I have yet to find one who reads any Harley forum. How often have most of you gone into the dealer and told them some facts about their bikes that you learned here that they have no clue. I remember once having to correct a salesman who told a perspective SG buyer that he would move the WWW tires off a RKC to the SG to complete the sale. I very kindly and quietly suggested he check the tire sizes a little closer.

Most dealers just don't think about what they could gain or loose by offering even a standard 10% discount. After tax, that is only a 2% savings anyways compared to no tax internet sales. But I would be willing if they just offered it.

Beary

Old 12-22-2010, 09:34 AM
dan conner
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

i negotiated a 20% discount on parts and labor for the first 90 days...then 10% for as long as i own bike when i bought the bike. this was good deal for both parties-they lock in my repeat business and i get a price break.

Old 12-22-2010, 09:40 AM
VTGlideRider
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by beary
But I would be willing if they just offered it.

I couldn't agree more. My dealer was having a customer appreciation day and gave me 15% off on my Arlen Ness Big Sucker and the Boom Audio speakers, so I bought from them. Told them up front if they could even come close I would love to give them the business. My V&H Monster Ovals? Forget it - they weren't even close. It was almost $200 difference since online I was not only getting the discount but free shipping and no sales tax. I like these guys, but not $200 worth on one item!

Old 12-22-2010, 10:37 AM
Ronp42
Account Retired
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I agree with the OP, I've spent a ton with Harley over the years. I'm finished with trying to deal with my local dealer's. I bought my wife's 2010 SG Trike back in May of this year. 31,000 $$$. went back to buy a seat. Ask the part's guy about giving me 10% off. He said they couldn't do it. I went online and bought the seat. Went back and tried to deal with them when I bought my 2010 RK in July. The best deal I could get was 3500.00 difference trading in my 08 UC. I bought the RK in NC for 1925.00 and my 08. That's $1525.00 difference. I could give you more examples. In fact, I've put Harley on notice (not that they give a chit) I'm not buying anymore of their Motorclothes that are made oversea's. I'm buying all I can from hdforum vender sponsor's.

Old 12-22-2010, 10:51 AM
peddler
Club Member
Received 72 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by VTGlideRider
Also, those dealers discounting online aren't just online dealers, they have a brick and mortar operation too with all the same overhead.

The only possible explanation I can think of is that the local dealer feels they won't increase their volume or expand their customer base significantly if they offer a discount, at least not enough to make up for a 20% revenue loss, and that those of us doing business with them locally will buy anyway............................. I wonder if you walked in to a Zanottis or Surdyke if you would get the same pricing over the counter as you would online.
The real answer to why some dealelrs discount/match internet pricing and most don't can be different for each and every dealer. Not every dealer wants to build volume on the tenuous, at best, market share found via the internet. I've got two comments and one question for all of you that feel you have the answer to improve dealer profit:

The only possible explanation I can think of is that the local dealer feels they won't increase their volume or expand their customer base significantly if they offer a discount, at least not enough to make up for a 20% revenue loss
Comment:Yes and know. I do believe the dealers that don't discount feel they won't increase their volume or expand their customer base significantly. If the gross profit on parts is 40% keep in mind they wouldn't have to increase sales to offset a 20% revenue drop, they would have to increase sales to offset a 50% revenue drop. In other words they would have to DOUBLE THEIR PARTS BUSINESS JUST TO BREAK EVEN!!! And that's a good deal for them how????

I wonder if you walked in to a Zanottis or Surdyke if you would get the same pricing over the counter as you would online.
Comment:You won't get the same discount over the counter. Been there. Done that.

Question: If increasing your (dealer) parts business by discounting on the internet is such a slam dunk great idea, why are there less than a handful of dealers that do it?

Just my .

Old 12-22-2010, 10:54 AM
IAMSWUTIAMS
Extreme HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by djaudette
I find that once you pay for shipping you are not saving much, if anything at all. Support the local guy. I do get 10% off for being Military.
20% discount, plus 10% discount(sales tax you don't pay if you live in CA) that's a 30% discount from buying local. On a big ticket item that can be substantial. Shipping is usually minimal, 5% at most.

Old 12-22-2010, 10:55 AM
Faast Ed
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

This attitude just doesn't make sense to me. I'm sure that even if they took 20% off there is still a ton of profit for them, but they would rather lose the sale than take the discount. I have a great relationship with my dealer, get my biker serviced there, and will bring him the stuff I buy to install if its beyond my skill level to do, but they, and the vast majority of dealers it seems, won't do what a handfull of online dealerships will do every day. I just don't get it.

The online shops will dedicate one person to handle all the online orders and it often is done in their spare time. They don't have to look up parts for the lazy customers, they simply process orders that have already been placed. Lots of time saved there.
Often the parts aren't even in inventory so they don't have those costs either.
One person in their spare time can expedite everything without adding to overhead costs. The little profit they make after discount is enough when you consider the volume.

The regular local dealer is wasting his time discounting everything, lowering his income while still paying all the overhead. For what, to break even or show a loss at the end of the year? That would be poor business sense.

Quick Reply: Maybe Someone Can Explain This To Me, I Don't Get It...