Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New to Harley , need opinions

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2010, 08:14 PM
bbstacker70
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to Harley , need opinions

Looking to do a stage 1 this winter. Have decided on the SE air cleaner , SERT and Vance & Hines Dresser duals. To save lots of money and to keep it quiet I was considering keeping the stock mufflers. Has anyone done this ?. My main reason for the stage 1 is heat reduction. Will the bike with this set up breath well enough to cool down. If I need to go with new mufflers I like the Monster Rounds. Are they quiet enough on the highway for touring ?
Thanks for the input guys

Old 12-21-2010, 08:20 PM
bigdumbnoitall00
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 671 Likes on 535 Posts

getiing a good tune, regardless of pipes or air intake, made the single biggest difference for me. midframe heat deflectors helped me not feel it so much either.aftermarket headpipes will move the heat to where u wont feel it but doesnt(in my opinion)reduce it.

Old 12-21-2010, 08:35 PM
PistonPuller
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

True duals will in fact reduce heat because you will be eliminating the collector. You wont have as much heat build up and exhaust will flow more freely

Old 12-21-2010, 08:39 PM
handsomeboy1
Advanced
Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts

If you wish to save money get a PCV for half of the cost of the race tuner

Old 12-21-2010, 08:57 PM
RK14SGS
Road Warrior
Received 144 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by bbstacker70
Looking to do a stage 1 this winter. Have decided on the SE air cleaner , SERT and Vance & Hines Dresser duals. To save lots of money and to keep it quiet I was considering keeping the stock mufflers. Has anyone done this ?. My main reason for the stage 1 is heat reduction. Will the bike with this set up breath well enough to cool down. If I need to go with new mufflers I like the Monster Rounds. Are they quiet enough on the highway for touring ?
Thanks for the input guys
The bike will be cooler, the tune will be better, the performance will be better, and with the Monster Rounds the sound will be awesome!!! ENJOY!!

Old 12-21-2010, 09:00 PM
07FLHT
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by handsomeboy1
+1 And get the auto tune modules, you won't be sorry! Fuel Moto doubles the warranty Plus lifetime support!!

www.fuelmotousa.com

Old 12-21-2010, 11:46 PM
mfuchs2004
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Oddly enough, the higher flow a/c will make it run hotter. Will give you more power though.

It's the fuel turner that'll fix the lean condition, but only if you set it up right. The SERT is okay in the hands of a quality tuner, but the pcv from fuel moto is much more useful out of the box and saves you money.

Don't fall for the pipe hype. Pipes have to be matched to the way you'll drive your bike. Contact Jamie at fuel moto and tell him how you like to ride. He'll give you a shopping list and very good prices to boot.

Old 12-22-2010, 06:59 PM
sgnden
Road Master
Received 56 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by handsomeboy1
+1 and yeah...get e GOOD tune on 'er. The rough estimate maps are often not exactly right-on IMHO.

Old 12-22-2010, 07:25 PM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 398 Likes on 340 Posts

I have a different take on it. I like to save money on each bike I own- that translates into MORE BIKES in the garage! right now I have 5. 4 Harleys and a Honda Trail 90

If your header pipes have a catalytic converter- you may want to consider removing it or getting a different header pipe- the cat can be a bottle neck to flow. ( cats in 2010 and 2011 models, some 09 models ( california)

other bottlenecks are the stock restrictive mufflers and the air cleaner with it's back cover.

I use supertrapp supermeg slip on mufflers. they use a diffuser disc system to control sound and flow, more discs= HP and noise fewer discs = torque and quieter. I use 12 disc right and 8 discs left on my 96" with stock 09 headers
This design offers superior performance, control over sound AND it you change your motor, you retune the pipes to match.
I have used their pipes for over 20 years on a number of bikes.

the ness big sucker with a chrome backing plate is a nice tidy install, the chrome plate is easy to wipe off when washing the bike, and looks good if you have the black/chrome motor.
the filter media is washable and oilable ( like a K&N).
ebay $115 shipped from easterpc

some guys just go at the plastic backing plate with a hole saw on the bottom

tuning:
with the increased flow, the EFI needs to be tuned. I am put off of the piggyback tuning systems by all the posts from Guys who are trying to get it working right.

I am using nightrider.com XIEDS which will run you about $125 shipped. these plug in line with your O2 sensors and under most riding circumstances will tell your ECU that it needs to richen the mixture slightly- this helps with the high heat and matches the increased air.

IF I were to do cams or headwork, I would certainly plunk down the bucks for a more complex tuning system and dyno sessions. I'll probably leave the motor the way it is for the life of the bike.

so I am at $240 with XIEDS and Ness big sucker, and I kept the supermegs that were on my evo bagger for 15 years- so no cost.
BTW the Screaming Eagle Nightstick is made by Supertrapp and I've seen 2 of then on the classifieds here recently for $100 each ( plus ship)

I could easily have gone with a stage one system from a shop or dealer and been close to $1000

Mike

Old 12-22-2010, 07:43 PM
txfxstrider
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 86 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by PistonPuller
True duals will in fact reduce heat because you will be eliminating the collector. You wont have as much heat build up and exhaust will flow more freely

Quick Reply: New to Harley , need opinions