Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HD/JW Speaker LED Headlight & Headlight Modulators

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2010, 03:49 PM
Fattire_Biker
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HD/JW Speaker LED Headlight & Headlight Modulators

I am posting this for informational purposes only and not to get sucked into the dogmatic debate regarding headlight modulators as I have made my decision as you are free to make yours. After reviewing RabbetsHell's well put together comparrison posting, I ordered the H-D LED headlight and passing lights.
I have been using the Kriss H45003 for my ’09 FLHR Road King. After ordering the new LED light system I began to wonder if the headlight modulator would work with the new LED headlight. I contacted J.W. Speaker and communicated with John Walker. We agreed that I would ship over my modulator for testing to see if it was compatible with their headlight. I received his response today that this particular modulator is not compatible with their new LED headlight. Here is his response:
“We did receive the modulator but we could not get it to work with the LED HL. It appears that the modulator requires a certain power draw to operate and the LED does not draw enough power. The stock bulb is about 55W on low beam, but the LED HL is only about 1W.”

This information may help those of you in your decision weighing process as whether or not you wish to upgrade to the new HD/JW Speaker LED headlights. There may be other modulators out there that will work with these headlights.

Old 12-31-2010, 04:08 PM
smithbrl
Road Warrior
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Have you received/ installed the LED headlight and modulator yet?
I just picked up the headlight today and I'm going to get it installed this weekend. I'm using a Signal Dynamics modulator. It modulates high and low beam.

I'll keep you posted.

Old 01-01-2011, 01:04 AM
Fattire_Biker
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am still waiting for Chicago Harley Davidson to ship the LED lights. I'd be interested in hearing if your modulator works with your LED headlight.

Old 01-02-2011, 08:23 AM
smithbrl
Road Warrior
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Installed the new headlight. My headlight modulator works fine. I need to do some research to find out if the headlight can be damaged by modulating it. I see smaller led lights like on computer hard drives and modems blinking away like crazy, it may not be a problem.

I wouldn't worry if your modulator works or not. Just install the unit and see. If it doesn't, then you can get a different modulator. I know mine works but it isn't plug n play. The hi/lo wires have to be cut and the modulator is inserted in line. Some soldering and heat shrinking is required. I located my unit under the fairing and ty wrapped it to something. It's a project but I can modulate both beams and I can turn it off.

The headlight works great! I'm very pleased with it. You'll probably like it even better with those passing lights.