Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Spoke to Mr. Bob Wood about cams....

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2010, 07:05 PM
07FLHT
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by davewear
great, so after waaaay too much time online i'm now thinking the 5-6 is the cam i want and now you got me thinkin i should pull the heads and do the 030 anyway..... i'm thinking too much again, i'm gonna do something and i don't care what anyone says!!!! ok just kidding, keep the info coming.....
Well, if your gonna pull the heads to change the gaskets, might as well send those heads out for a little work while your at it! LOL!! Just had mine done by Bean & they look great! When it quits pouring rain around here I'll let you know how they work too! A little more reading if your interested...

www.bigboyzheadporting.com

Old 12-21-2010, 07:42 PM
Faast Ed
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 07FLHT
Well, if your gonna pull the heads to change the gaskets, might as well send those heads out for a little work while your at it! LOL!! Just had mine done by Bean & they look great! When it quits pouring rain around here I'll let you know how they work too! A little more reading if your interested...

www.bigboyzheadporting.com
I started a build once that was supposed to be cam only. I was firm on that.

Then after "...only a few more bolts and I can........" (repeated several times), I ended up with a complete build including big bore, headwork, throttlebody, etc. 'Cam only' my ***. LOL More like "one-more-itis"

No regrets.

Old 12-21-2010, 07:51 PM
Mike
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Faast Ed
lol. I think quite a few of us have done that at one time or another.

Old 12-21-2010, 07:54 PM
07FLHT
Outstanding HDF Member

Then after "...only a few more bolts and I can........" (repeated several times), I ended up with a complete build including big bore, headwork, throttlebody, etc. 'Cam only' my ***. LOL More like "one-more-itis"

No regrets.
While I was waiting for heads... "might as well...'
SE Compensator
49T ring gear
SE clutch spring
Remove/replace all the Willie G. skull stuff
Remove/replace all HD flame stuff
Add Ultra lights to Classic tour pak
ect...ect...ca-ching$...ca-ching$...!!! LOL!

Last edited by 07FLHT; 12-22-2010 at 02:14 AM.
Old 12-22-2010, 01:03 AM
cmcsns
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by djl
I have never run a Woods cam so I am not speaking from personal experience; however, I do speak to a couple of very competent head porters from time to time about cams and have been told that the 7H can be a bit noisy but that the 5-6 is very quiet. Maybe someone running a 7H can chime in?
I'm using the 7H cams and although they're a bit on the noisy side they do perform quite well, just another of the 'trade offs' I guess. I don't mind a bit of noise so it's not a big deal to me. Hell, if it's not one noise it's another. Oh yeah, I was just gonna do cams also!

Old 12-22-2010, 02:01 AM
Mike
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts

Look at the Andrews 54. Perfect for your needs.
Quiet, well mannered, lots of low end torque with some room for play at the top, too! I'm thinking it'll have just a few more ponies than the 555, with all the other bennies included.
I dunno Ed, I think the biggest difference between these two is the price. Other than that, they are so similar, that exhaust and tune will be where the difference between these two would show up.

Old 12-22-2010, 02:37 AM
07FLHT
Outstanding HDF Member

Look at the Andrews 54. Perfect for your needs.
Quiet, well mannered, lots of low end torque with some room for play at the top, too! I'm thinking it'll have just a few more ponies than the 555, with all the other bennies included.
Originally Posted by boogaloodude
I dunno Ed, I think the biggest difference between these two is the price. Other than that, they are so similar, that exhaust and tune will be where the difference between these two would show up.
So, I hope you two experts agree my choice of the Andrews 54H cams in my 103" build (10.2:1 Big Boyz built heads), with my current Rinehart TD's & PC-V w/auto tune is gonna be OK?

Old 12-22-2010, 06:57 AM
lionsm13
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 75,253 Likes on 22,615 Posts

I think that I will go with the Andrews 48H cams for a "drop in cam" for my stock 96 and a dyno and see how happy I am with that set up. I still have the 6's. Maybe I'll save them for the F/M 107 kit if I ever get bored with 48's.

Old 12-22-2010, 09:26 AM
djl
HDF Community Team
Veteran: Army
Received 2,223 Likes on 1,608 Posts

Originally Posted by lionsm13
I think that I will go with the Andrews 48H cams for a "drop in cam" for my stock 96 and a dyno and see how happy I am with that set up. I still have the 6's. Maybe I'll save them for the F/M 107 kit if I ever get bored with 48's.
The 48s should work well; designed for stock bagger application; pretty much a high lift version of the 26. There would be better cam choices than the TW6 for a 107" motor like the TW555 or TMans 555/590/625; just get the heads setup right.

Last edited by djl; 12-22-2010 at 09:33 AM.
Old 12-22-2010, 10:01 AM
Faast Ed
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 07FLHT
So, I hope you two experts agree my choice of the Andrews 54H cams in my 103" build (10.2:1 Big Boyz built heads), with my current Rinehart TD's & PC-V w/auto tune is gonna be OK?
Personally I have reason to believe you'll be happy with the choice.
I run my 54's at 10.4:1, but I am pushing the limits there. (206 ccp)
10.2:1 gives you one less thing to worry about without giving up squat.
Running SERT with mine and a Fatcat for 104/114 sae. (103")

Quick Reply: Spoke to Mr. Bob Wood about cams....