Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Spoke to Mr. Bob Wood about cams....

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2010, 04:43 PM
sifularson
Elite HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by fuelmoto
Bob Wood definitely knows "a few things" about cams and motors (and actually just about anything really, which just amazes me) and I really feel honored being able to work closely with him. We have yet to see a cam in a stock 96" match the TW-555 from 2750-4500 RPM, we will be putting these cams in our 2011 103" bike for some testing in the next few weeks as well, i'm expecting some pretty awesome numbers.
I'll be watching for your thread on the TW-555. I ride 2up loaded down with gear most of the time. Wife and I love to get out and travel. I'm looking for a bolt in cam. My plan is to pull the rocker boxes and use the stock pushrods.

Looking for a bolt-in low end torque cam that is just as quiet as the stock cam.

Old 12-21-2010, 06:03 PM
Mike
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by sifularson
I'd like to talk with him about cams for me 103. What is his number?

Thanks
Dave must be clairvoyant. He knew you were going to ask for the phone number!

Old 12-21-2010, 06:05 PM
davewear
Road Warrior
Received 197 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by boogaloodude
Dave must be clairvoyant. He knew you were going to ask for the phone number!

never put off until tomorrow what you can do todave

Old 12-21-2010, 06:15 PM
twistr
Road Warrior
Received 143 Likes on 56 Posts

Subscribing

Old 12-21-2010, 06:27 PM
Faast Ed
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by sifularson
I'll be watching for your thread on the TW-555. I ride 2up loaded down with gear most of the time. Wife and I love to get out and travel. I'm looking for a bolt in cam. My plan is to pull the rocker boxes and use the stock pushrods.

Looking for a bolt-in low end torque cam that is just as quiet as the stock cam.
Look at the Andrews 54. Perfect for your needs.
Quiet, well mannered, lots of low end torque with some room for play at the top, too! I'm thinking it'll have just a few more ponies than the 555, with all the other bennies included.

Old 12-21-2010, 06:38 PM
djl
HDF Community Team
Veteran: Army
Received 2,223 Likes on 1,608 Posts

Originally Posted by lionsm13
I'm sure Mr. Woods has forgotten more than I will ever know about cams, but I wonder how come he cannot make a cam to where you wouldn't have to "bump up" the compression w/a .030 Head Gasket to get the benefit from his cams, one that would be "good to go" right out of the box?
You can install these cams without the .030"; most that install the .030" head gasket are not using it to "bump up" the compression but to tighten up the squish band. To increase compression, dech the heads to make the combustion chamber the appropriate size to produce the corrected/cranking compression recommended for a particular cam. Of course the .030" head gasket is part of that calculation but for a different purpose.

Old 12-21-2010, 06:39 PM
Faast Ed
Banned

Originally Posted by lionsm13
I've spoke with Mr. Woods before about my evo and putting in a TW6 and it was the same thing, gotta go with a .030 Head Gasket to increase Compression.

Now it's the same thing with the Tw6-6's. Gotta put in a .030 Head Gasket to improve Compression in order for the 6's to be most efficient.
I have the 6's (not installed yet) for my new bike but would like a cam that I did not have "bump up" the compression.

I'm sure Mr. Woods has forgotten more than I will ever know about cams, but I wonder how come he cannot make a cam to where you wouldn't have to "bump up" the compression w/a .030 Head Gasket to get the benefit from his cams, one that would be "good to go" right out of the box?
You can shave your heads and create any compression range you want.

Using an 030 gasket is not intended for that purpose! Sure it'll add a tiny bit of compression, but not enough to suddenly make a cam happy.
2 or 3 tenths ain't a lot of added compression.

Squish is a whole different story. Every bike out there should have an 030 head gasket simply to be in the optimal squish band. Efficiency of fuel burn. A stock cam would even benefit from optimal squish.

Technically, one should not be looking for a cam to match your compression. You should be building around the cam.

Choose the cam with the characteristics you like best, then give it the proper compression that your particular cam performs best at. They all have that sweet spot that they perform best at.

To buy a cam simply for the avoidance of pulling your heads will most often leave you disappointed. You are "settling" for less, simply to avoid some labor. Then you'll spend the next two years regretting it.

Put the extra effort in now, and guess what?
Huge smile on your face for the next 2 years while riding!

It's winter. No need to rush. Do it right!

Last edited by Faast Ed; 12-21-2010 at 06:42 PM.
Old 12-21-2010, 06:41 PM
djl
HDF Community Team
Veteran: Army
Received 2,223 Likes on 1,608 Posts

Originally Posted by davewear
As I'm going to do the work myself I like the idea of not having to go with the headgasket replacement to get what I want and am leaning towards the 7H. Thoughts?
I have never run a Woods cam so I am not speaking from personal experience; however, I do speak to a couple of very competent head porters from time to time about cams and have been told that the 7H can be a bit noisy but that the 5-6 is very quiet. Maybe someone running a 7H can chime in?

Old 12-21-2010, 06:48 PM
davewear
Road Warrior
Received 197 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by Faast Ed
You can shave your heads and create any compression range you want.

Using an 030 gasket is not intended for that purpose! Sure it'll add a tiny bit of compression, but not enough to suddenly make a cam happy.
2 or 3 tenths ain't a lot of added compression.

Squish is a whole different story. Every bike out there should have an 030 head gasket simply to be in the optimal squish band. Efficiency of fuel burn. A stock cam would even benefit from optimal squish.

Technically, one should not be looking for a cam to match your compression. You should be building around the cam.

Choose the cam with the characteristics you like best, then give it the proper compression that your particular cam performs best at. They all have that sweet spot that they perform best at.

To buy a cam simply for the avoidance of pulling your heads will most often leave you disappointed. You are "settling" for less, simply to avoid some labor. Then you'll spend the next two years regretting it.

Put the extra effort in now, and guess what?
Huge smile on your face for the next 2 years while riding!

It's winter. No need to rush. Do it right!
great, so after waaaay too much time online i'm now thinking the 5-6 is the cam i want and now you got me thinkin i should pull the heads and do the 030 anyway..... i'm thinking too much again, i'm gonna do something and i don't care what anyone says!!!! ok just kidding, keep the info coming.....

Old 12-21-2010, 06:52 PM
Faast Ed
Banned

Originally Posted by davewear
great, so after waaaay too much time online i'm now thinking the 5-6 is the cam i want and now you got me thinkin i should pull the heads and do the 030 anyway..... i'm thinking too much again, i'm gonna do something and i don't care what anyone says!!!! ok just kidding, keep the info coming.....
I know that "feeling" that you speak of! LOL

Been there, done that.
Take a deep breath, let it out slowly, (he he) and take your time.
Think it through. Plan it right and you will be in for some serious fun.

Quick Reply: Spoke to Mr. Bob Wood about cams....